Harkins to return?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely class until everyone knew he was a massive threat.

I'd love him back, but at the same time, there's only so much you can do with two men on you every game.

If there's two on him others should be utilising the space, lack of movement was one of the big problems last season.

If there's two on him others should be utilising the space, lack of movement was one of the big problems last season.

Not just last season either. Chris Taylor used to get double-marked and we were useless then 'n' all.

Do some of you even like football?

I do wonder if some of them do

Show me a player with Harkins ability on the ball who has pace to burn and can offer us defensive cover and I will show you a player who won't be playing for Oldham Athletic next season.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I saw a good few games last season when he carried our only attacking threat and his second half performance out on the left v Peterborough was amongst the finest I've seen on grass.

But the flip side of that Twis was that his 1st galf performance, playing centrally, was THE main reason we went in 3 down and had played absolutely pap.

I liked Harkins. But, i'm just not sure where you put him? You want him in your side for the creativity; but you dont want him anywhere near a position that is a key as central midfield.

Free role behind some people who can run and defend; and just let him play freely. But, its a risk putting everything through him.

I'd have him back though...

Edited by slystallone

But the flip side of that Twis was that his 1st galf performance, playing centrally, was THE main reason we went in 3 down and had played absolutely pap.

I liked Harkins. But, i'm just not sure where you put him? You want him in your side for the creativity; but you dont want him anywhere near a position that is a key as central midfield.

Free role behind some people who can run and defend; and just let him play freely. But, its a risk putting everything through him.

Hodgson is probably thinking the same thing about Ross Barkley, after losing possession counter attacks by Italy or Uruguay could prove costly.

Edited by BP1960

LJ talks up Harkins well in the Chron. Reckons he wants to play where he's loved and not chase the money.

The paper does say Harkins is trying to see a way out of his contract, so it looks like he may go somewhere.

I don't get this idea that you cannot find a position for him it's easy. Second striker or playing wide with the intention of coming in off the flank and an overlapping full back (someone like oh that joe mills we had on loan earlier in this season) can provide the width.

The only reason everything would go through him would be that the other players aren't good enough to have the ball.

I liked Harkins. But, i'm just not sure where you put him?

You could stick him in goal for me. I'd still pay £100 a match to see him.

Without his goals, we'd have gone down. When he eventually got double-marked we still carried on winning.

He's what I'd call a rough diamond. He's going to have dull games, but when he's on form, there isn't a player at our level more captivating.

where does winchester fit in?.... this is his season for me, get him in midfield watch him come on leaps and bounds *puts tin hat on*

harkins and mills on the left would be something special if worked on, but we'd struggle massively in terms of defensive duties because lets face it, mills isn't exactly a defender, grounds was - mills isn't

So we dont want industry and graft of someone like wes nor the sublime skill and craft of harkins, for a team that rarely pays over a grand a week what do people want or more importantly what do people expect to get ? For me id have both the real weakness is on the right dayton/brown/worrall all failed to make an impact going forward when teams doubled up on harkins, mills/harkins on the left would work for me we just need a similar threat on the right.

harkins and mills on the left would be something special if worked on, but we'd struggle massively in terms of defensive duties because lets face it, mills isn't exactly a defender,

I wouldnt rule it out Kieran but we would need Smith to play as he did last season virtually totally defensively with perhaps another centre mid helping him.

With the back 4 plus 2 defensive mids and Sir Gary that is 7 players sorted out of the outfield 10 leaving 3 others to fill the berths of striker/right wing/ creative mid/ link man. To me it just doesnt make sense basing our startiing 11 on this strategy as it will leave us very 1 dimensional and too defensive.

I'd give Winchester a go at Centre Mid with Smith.

Make or Break time.

There must have been enough money freed up to allow LJ to pay decent wages to get a new player in what I think is the pivotal position in any team.

Good signing there and top half beckons. Poor signing or trying Winchester = Relegation battle. He will be a usefull cheap squad player.