Team as it stands

We didnt really play 4-5-1 we actually played more like 4-1-4-1 but slightly adjust that to 4-1-3-1-1 if Philly doesnt have to keep going back in to help the midfield.

At home or when we are on top that can be changed easily to 4-4-2 with Philly moving up top or even 4-3-1-2 with a sub.

Our system worked for the last 10 games and all that really (in my opinion) needed to change was better players, 2 done and 2 more to come hopefully

If these systems progress we'll end up playing in binary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Mills

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Clarke Harris

Philliskirk

Turner

?

Is Dayton our only winger now? And he's not really a winger.

But, possibly Dayton right wing and Wilson left wing (where LJ has mentioned he can also play) in a 4-4-2?

Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Mills

Dayton

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Clarke Harris

Philliskirk

Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Mills

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Clarke Harris

Philliskirk

Turner

?

Is Dayton our only winger now? And he's not really a winger.

But, possibly Dayton right wing and Wilson left wing (where LJ has mentioned he can also play) in a 4-4-2?

Rachubka

Brown

Wilson

Lockwood

Mills

Dayton

Jones

Kelly

Wilson

Clarke Harris

Philliskirk

Why do you have Wilson as a winger? He's a right back that is decent attacking is the way I saw it, not cut out to be a proper winger. I'd be very worried if he started the season out of position.

I can't see us playing 4-3-3, although Jones and Kelly as the box to box midfielders and another player, which we don't have yet, holding would make up a decent midfield.

We don't have the striking options to play that. JCH as striker and Philly and Dayton flanking him doesn't sound like it has enough goals to me.

Not signing Harkins could could give us the opportunity to bring in an experienced target man which I think we definitely need.

I also have a feeling JCH could still find himself at a new club before the end of the window.

for me brian wilson should start at rb with brown used as cover, its a poor squad for me especially from an attacking point of view dayton was poor and without harkins there is nobody in that team to create anything, looks like the same defensive football to me talk of dayton and rodgers in midfield is worrying to say the least.

Brian Wilson is a RB. He can do the wing back role too, and has, on occassion it seems, filled in at RM.

But i'm certain he's been signed to play RB. He's got a 2 year deal; Connor Brown got a 1 year. That to me speaks of Wilson as 1st choice and Connor there as back up to come in as a Ok replacement as / when needed. connor can also cover the LB position in an emergancy too; though if Mills is out for whatever reason; we already have Truelove & Mellor who can cover so he may not be needed for that.

It wouldnt surprise me either if B Wilson was made captain too.

As for the rest, i still think we're shy of of left sided midfielder and a striker.

But it depends on what LJ is gojng to do formation wise, as if he does go 4-3-3; we may not need the left sided player.

With only JCH (who may well still be sold) Phiili, Turner & Bove - i've said loads before; but we are still massively short upfront and need 1 minimum in there IMO....

With only JCH (who may well still be sold) Phiili, Turner & Bove - i've said loads before; but we are still massively short upfront and need 1 minimum in there IMO....

Corney mentioned in his interview a couple of weeks ago that he felt we were a couple of strikers short.

I actually think for a club in our position its far from a poor squad!

We are short of depth but there are a number of young players capable of progression and a flexibility available in turns of the shape we adopt.

I don't think we are done yet and would expect a 'punt' signing in the final third, but in a division of fine margins I feel we are as entitled as a large number of clubs to think it might be our year to challenge.

Its not a great division and the number of decent teams who arrive at BP can be counted an one hand annually. Are we capable of being solid defensively and progressing as an attacking unit if LJ gets it right - I think we probably are!!

I actually think for a club in our position its far from a poor squad!

We are short of depth but there are a number of young players capable of progression and a flexibility available in turns of the shape we adopt.

I don't think we are done yet and would expect a 'punt' signing in the final third, but in a division of fine margins I feel we are as entitled as a large number of clubs to think it might be our year to challenge.

Its not a great division and the number of decent teams who arrive at BP can be counted an one hand annually. Are we capable of being solid defensively and progressing as an attacking unit if LJ gets it right - I think we probably are!!

Have you been on it at Glastonbury all weekend ?

So how many more to come in?

With only Dayton as the recognised wide man I think we will sign one of them plus a striker, While LJ has said he would be happy to go with what weve got I think he's covering his back in case we don't get anyone and thats what he's forced to go with plus its hardly a vote of confidence for his current young strikeforce to say we need a striker as the ones we currently have aren't good enough.

So 2 permanents plus I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of premier league youngsters come in before the end of august as they are no doubt being assessed by their parent clubs before being sent out on loan. 1 of these will no doubt come from Man City lets hope they don't send us another Plummer hopefully after the 2 they sent us last season they will atleast send us one that looks like a footballer. I wonder if City have any fleet footed young wingers in their ranks?

LJ went with three wingers last year so I'd like to think he's looking to bring in two wingers to compete with Dayton,plus the experienced striker needed.

IMO the two back up players should be a left back and keeper as we've got Mellor and possibly Rodgers as cover for centre midfield.

LJ went with three wingers last year so I'd like to think he's looking to bring in two wingers to compete with Dayton,plus the experienced striker needed.

IMO the two back up players should be a left back and keeper as we've got Mellor and possibly Rodgers as cover for centre midfield.

LJ has referenced a desire to have the option to go 4-3-3 this season and we only have 2 starting cm's on the books imo with Rodgers and mellor as cover.

LJ also referenced that ideally he would have kept Smith together with Jones and Kelly in a midfield 3 so i think that suggests he now thinks we are short.

Edited by Blue_Guru

Have you been on it at Glastonbury all weekend ?

No, my point is as simple as this....

I can see the holes in our squad, but on gates of 4000 how on earth can there not be?

I saw 3 sides who impressed me all season; Rotherham, Preston and Wolves at BP.... 2 of them are promoted so we no longer have to face them!

We are ahead of where we are usually at this stage of the season and I think there is the potential for versatility in the squad, which should aid the manager.

I'm not expecting the second coming of Barcelona, but I do expect a couple more in and a solid side (albeit I can see goals being an issue again unless a punt comes off!). The defensive unit has been retained with the exception of Grounds, but I think we have as good a replacement as we could possibly expect!!

It doesn't make us great...but we're in a very average third tier that is routinely competitive but short on quality.

Simple really!!

Edited by whitey1980

• 3 weeks later...

Rachubka

Wilson

Wilson

Kusunga (Lockwood when ban ends)

Mills

Dieng

Kelly

Jones

Gros