Signing Number 4 - LIAM KELLY

Rumours are we paid £7.25m for Kelly and received £7.4m for Smith

That's complete bollocks.

We actually set the transfer record by signing Kelly for £107.25m, only for it to be eclipsed 30 seconds later, with Bristol City wrapping up a £107.4m deal for Smith.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's complete bollocks.

We actually set the transfer record by signing Kelly for £107.25m, only for it to be eclipsed 30 seconds later, with Bristol City wrapping up a £107.4m deal for Smith.

It's just been reported both players were on a 2% cut of the deal and that Latics and Brizzle City have both folded. Corney out!

I've heard of him, I think its him?

Didnt he score the goal that won the Scottish Cup; and his Dad died of a heart attack celebrating??

While not playing following the death of his Dad, Kilmarnock players including Gary Harkins wore a shirt saying "We Are All With You", in support of Liam, before Kilmarnock's match against Motherwell which they won 2–0.

The three year deal is a sign that LJ really fancies him to come good. He must know him well from his Killie days and has the benefit of a full season to see how his team fared and what areas he failed on.

I do like the OCD-like linear way he's rebuilt the team too. Goalkeeper first. Then defenders, then midfield...

Rumours are we paid £7.25m for Kelly and received £7.4m for Smith

We shall see, I'm very highly dubious of that statement, then again it depends on your definition of stringent.

Trying think of a few in the past who didn't play much for the Latics because of previous injuries at other clubs, I assume those had stringent medicals before signing?

Gone are the days when you could pick up an ex Premier player as they wanted to keep on playing football....

How true, if only Scholes had needed to supplement his income while sorting out the purchase of his newsagents.

BTW it would have been the one at the top of the hill at Lydgate, it was never the same after Ron and Lynne left (City fans, but sound). Paul would have smashed it (the in verb I presume after watching some of Glastonbury on telly last night, Elbow smashed the Pyramid stage).

How true, if only Scholes had needed to supplement his income while sorting out the purchase of his newsagents.

BTW it would have been the one at the top of the hill at Lydgate, it was never the same after Ron and Lynne left (City fans, but sound). Paul would have smashed it (the in verb I presume after watching some of Glastonbury on telly last night, Elbow smashed the Pyramid stage).

Was Keith Moon the drummer?

The three year deal is a sign that LJ really fancies him to come good. He must know him well from his Killie days and has the benefit of a full season to see how his team fared and what areas he failed on.

I do like the OCD-like linear way he's rebuilt the team too. Goalkeeper first. Then defenders, then midfield...

Or maybe the player/agent insisted on that length of contract as a condition of signing?

He didn't score but, aye, it's him.

My memories failing; I thought he'd scored, but have read up and seen he didnt.

Still an awful thing to happen though, from the professional high of winning the trophy to being told your Dad has died celebrating....awful.

Anyhow, no idea what he's like as a player; guess we'll see...

No, that's just silly.

However Guy Garvey did show how to make a useful potato substitute between "Sad Captains" and "One Day Like This". For the encore he licked the spoon.

(They were bloody good.)

I thought they were bloody good too. They cross all ages with their music.

I reiterate my statement from previously, my definition of a stringent medical might be a lot more stringent than the club's/Matt Chambers'

On the flip side you could argue a professional football club medical that could result in hundreds of thousands of pounds being spent might be more stringent than what we think. I don't recall us signing too many really injury prone players over the years, just a lot of :censored: ones, but sadly medically don't cover that yet;)

Not quite sure why people are putting emphasis on an extra 'stringent' medical. From what I can fathom, Kelly had one horrible injury after a few seasons of uninterrupted play, then he recovered but wasn't in favour by the new manager. Not sure that really constitutes injury prone.

I see it as a positive that we are handing out a three year contract to a player that shone over a full season for a Championship club. Looks to be a worthy replacement to Smith and poses a new dynamic into what was last season a very one-dimensional midfield, which was surely one of the reasons for a poor goalscoring tally.