Summer Reading

I've taken three books on holiday with me and belted through the first two in record time. Both an excellent read.

1) The Man From Uruguay - Phil Brennan

While Joe Royle was delivering success for Latics Danny Bergara was performing similar miracles at Stockport a couple of divisions below. First foreign coach at the FA, ideas that were decades ahead of their time and, ultimately, managed to turn a nothing zombie football club into something worthwhile within a short time. Buy via PlayerShare WebShop on Amaz0n including the choice of a dirt cheap Kindle option.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/laticsplayershare

2) The Wylde Man of Football - Rodger Wylde

A well written autobiography that gives an insight into the world of the footballer, physio and some of the madness within the game. Complimentary about his time at Latics. Available via his own web site.

http://www.rodgerwylde.com/wylde_man_of_football_book#.U7Tq4tq9KSM

The third one's the Fergie autobiography. I've not started it yet.

I'm reading a book on the War of the Roses at the moment, need to blast through it cos I've then got to read The Dice Man by Luke Rheinhart before the end of July *shameless plug coming up* when a friend of mine releases his first novel - if SciFi thrillers are your bag, keep any eye out for The Heretic by Lucas Bale. I think the Kindle version is released next week actually - 99p. If five OWTBers buy a copy I'll stick £5 into PlayerShare.

Reading Joe Royle's autobiography at the moment, seems he got shafted by City. Some interesting comments about Norman Holden having a Dragon's Den type role in funding transfers, until the rest of the board felt that it was too commercial/capitalist for a club like ourselves, so it went out the window.

I was under-whelmed by the Fergie book, from the reaction of the media, i was expecting lots of controversy - failed to deliver in my opinion.

Agreed. It was partly fascinating, but had no structure. Just came out as the semi-coherent ramblings of an angry old man to be honest.

I bought Added Time by Mark Halsey last week thought would be a great read on holiday, got it on Kindle and could not stop reading so much so i have already read and found it a good read. He went through some tough times with cancer, also his wife had cancer at the same time, he does mention the welcome he got at Boundary Park ooppps Sports Direct .com stadium.

Its some time ago now but Stan Ternent's autobiography "Stan The Man" was the funnies football book I've ever read.

There was one a few years ago called " A Fertile Area in a Barren Land"bu the name of the author escapes me....

In the meantime a big chunk of my summer will go to redrafting my screenplay "Home Banker"; a road movie/comedy/gangster caper about some exiled Northerners trying to rescue their down on its luck home town football club. Where do these ideas come from?

I've got Warnock's on audiobook - he actually reads it himself. Gripping stuff.....zzzzzzzzz

I agree Fergie's was underwhelming. Joe's was a good read as is Graeme Sharp's.

The daddy was Ricky Holden's especially when he describes :censored:ting in the lift.

If you want to be entertained read Sean Long's- former St Helens scrum half...

Best Football book by far is Fred Eyres - kicked into touch.

An old paperback book but very very funny.

Best holiday read ever.

Amazon still have it.

Another Breath of Fred Eyre was an excellent follow up too.

Cricket fans should give Duncan Hamilton's "Harold Larwood" a read. That really does get you to know the man well.

Edited by opinions4u

The daddy was Ricky Holden's especially when he describes :censored:ting in the lift.

If I remember rightly, isn't it the first time he meets Graeme, who (reluctantly) helps him clear it up and then Rick wonders why Graeme didn't take to him as manager?

Amazon still have it.

Another Breath of Fred Eyre was an excellent follow up too.

Cricket fans should give Duncan Hamilton's "Harold Larwood" a read. That really does get you to know the man well.

fred's books are very good. I read the first one many years ago.

Not entirely the same in terms of biographies, but David Peaces' book Red or Dead is really good. An imaginary biog-style look at Shankly.

The best football autobiography I have read is Tony Cascarino's, not ghost written with a superb opening, describing getting out of bed the day after a game when he was at the end of his career at Nancy.

Adrian Chiles has done a good book about following West Brom with different fans for a season, surprisingly moving at the end. Whatever you think of him as a broadcaster he is a genuine home town football fan.

I'm reading a book on the War of the Roses at the moment, need to blast through it cos I've then got to read The Dice Man by Luke Rheinhart before the end of July *shameless plug coming up* when a friend of mine releases his first novel - if SciFi thrillers are your bag, keep any eye out for The Heretic by Lucas Bale. I think the Kindle version is released next week actually - 99p. If five OWTBers buy a copy I'll stick £5 into PlayerShare.

Read Dice Man- it's superb. The sequel is OK but nowhere near as good.

came across this one on amazon.co.uk - little bit different, kept me entertained in between dips in the sea

chicken soup for the soul - the beautiful game. it is 20 stories of famous world cup moments written as first hand accounts.

Not people who were that famous but and interesting read - especially the captain of cameroon from the 1990 world cup talking about trying to kick maradona, also jon pantsil's story of the luis suarez handball vs ghana.

short and sweet about 100 pages and cheap kindle version at 6 quid

Enjoy