Latics promotion odds

Who've Sheff Utd signed? They've got Ched Evans back in October iirc.

Nigel Clough. I'm quietly confident that if you only count from the time Clough took over they would have finished top 2. They've a good squad and with Evans coming back in October it will improve, although I can see Evans being under similar restrictions to those Madine was under initially, meaning he won't be able to play in every game.

Preston will be there or thereabouts again, and their points tally last season would have won them the league 2 seasons ago.

Bristol City have a similar situation to Sheff U and Clough, if you only count the period from when their manager took over they would have gotten into the play-offs, they are also spending big money on decent players mainly from this division or the Championship- Korey Smith being a prime example.

Depending on their odds I think a good bet will be Bradford to go down their form after selling Wells was probably relegation form a trend I can see continuing.

Nigel Clough. I'm quietly confident that if you only count from the time Clough took over they would have finished top 2. They've a good squad and with Evans coming back in October it will improve, although I can see Evans being under similar restrictions to those Madine was under initially, meaning he won't be able to play in every game.

Nah. They gained 58 points from his 33 games, which'd have been 81 points or so over 46. Placing them 6th - one place above where they actually finished.

Nah. They gained 58 points from his 33 games, which'd have been 81 points or so over 46. Placing them 6th - one place above where they actually finished.

Didn't it take a while for him to make a difference? If you chopped off his first 10 games it might manipulate the stats in his favour!

Didn't it take a while for him to make a difference? If you chopped off his first 10 games it might manipulate the stats in his favour!

16 points from those first ten. So 42 from the remaining 23 - 84 points over a season. Still 6th ;)

16 points from those first ten. So 42 from the remaining 23 - 84 points over a season. Still 6th ;)

Fair enough. Might have to quote those stats back to the confident blades fan I know!

Bristol City have made the best signings so far this pre-season so they stand a very good chance of being up there, although the make-or-break factor will be Cotterill. I think their squad is better than Sheff Utd's currently but I trust Clough more as a manager than Cotterill. Either way there's a strong chance that those 2 will get the automatic positions.

Preston look a very good bet to make up the top 3 and if the backers of Donny, Scunny and Orient put their money where their mouths are then they could be contenders.

I'm underwhelmed by Barnsley (due to signings), Posh (due to their manager) and MK (due to their small squad). Notts are my dark horses. The rest are much the muchness.

But how many points did the other teams gain in those 33 games? Orient won 9 or 10 in a row to start the season, so probably didn't get 58 points from their last 33 games.

But how many points did the other teams gain in those 33 games? Orient won 9 or 10 in a row to start the season, so probably didn't get 58 points from their last 33 games.

You can bugger off if you think I'm doing it for all of them :laught30:

You can bugger off if you think I'm doing it for all of them :laught30:

I'm not asking you to do. I'm merely point out whilst you make a good point, it wasn't really arguing against the point I was making.

Incidentally Sheff U come 5th from the point Clough took over- above Posh and Orient. The only side left in the division who got more points than Sheff U in that time period is PNE, and it was only 2 points in it, which considering Sheff U's last 2 games were dead rubbers is not much.

Its a very average division - as Orient proved beyond any reasonable doubt last season.

Nothing about any of the fancied sides mentioned - Sheff Utd, Brizzle, Preston, Posh, Doncaster - suggests to me with any certainty they will deliver. Whilst a couple will rise to the play positions and better, I would wager another couple will heavily disappoint under high expectations and brittle squads!!

That leaves potentially more than the usual couple of spots up for grabs. I'm not overwhelmed by our quality.....but I think we are one of many sides to whom that applies!!

Edited by whitey1980

I'd take that! Can definitely see us finishing top ten (maybe it's blind optimism) but there is no one in the league this year who I couldn't see us beating

Problem you have with Latics is theirs not a team in the division that couldnt beat us aswell.

Its a very average division - as Orient proved beyond any reasonable doubt last season.

Nothing about any of the fancied sides mentioned - Sheff Utd, Brizzle, Preston, Posh, Doncaster - suggests to me with any certainty they will deliver. Whilst a couple will rise to the play positions and better, I would wager another couple will heavily disappoint under high expectations and brittle squads!!

That leaves potentially more than the usual couple of spots up for grabs. I'm not overwhelmed by our quality.....but I think we are one of many sides to whom that applies!!

We need to bring in a couple more matchwinners to convince me we're capable of challenging next season. Not necessarily someone who can score goals but certainly someone who can create them (i.e. a David Eyres type). Adam Rooney is a quality goal scorer for our level, but he failed with us because he didn't get the service. I think potentially JCH could get 15+ goals next season, but he needs the service

Good strikers don't rely on service, they just go and make their own.

If you're Lionel Messi you don't, but we're in League One. Did you see Rotherham in the play-offs last season? Having players who can whip a quality ball in made a massive difference in both their second semi-final and Final

We need to bring in a couple more matchwinners to convince me we're capable of challenging next season. Not necessarily someone who can score goals but certainly someone who can create them (i.e. a David Eyres type). Adam Rooney is a quality goal scorer for our level, but he failed with us because he didn't get the service. I think potentially JCH could get 15+ goals next season, but he needs the service

Totally agree with all of that. We are still relatively early in the summer and I suppose it boils down to whether we trust our manager to make the signings required in the final third.

The shape of the team is crucial as to what we sign as well. We look a player light in the wide areas if we play with 4 at the back. If he decides on wingbacks I could see him playing Dayton more centrally in a playmaking role.

Edited by whitey1980

Totally agree with all of that. We are still relatively early in the summer and I suppose it boils down to whether we trust our manager to make the signings required in the final third.

The shape of the team is crucial as to what we sign as well. We look a player light in the wide areas if we play with 4 at the back. If he decides on wingbacks I could see him playing Dayton more centrally in a playmaking role.

Dayton played centrally tonight, did ok.