Miguel Llera

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But we don't need any more defenders atm. Other areas need strengthening. If enough money is left in the budget after that then fair enough but I'd rather see us spending what money we have on areas that need it than one than doesn't.

But i guess the flip side of that is that the budget already has enough in it to cover this possible move. I.e - its within the budget already?

Llera is a quality player for this level; and when quality becomes available and you can afford it; then you should go for it no?

Are we set at the back? Hmm. It did appear so, for starting; but i'd have said we were still 1 short, with Brian Wilson clearly coming in to the RB spot, and Mills at LB. that leaves J Wilson, Lockwood and Kusunga. I'd say we were always 1 defender still short in the that lineup; i did expect it to be a season long loan coming in to fill that spot; but if it turns out to be Llera, then even better.

I dont massively rate Kusunga, and Whilst Lockwood and J Wilson did so well for us, I wouldn't have wanted us to have had just them; with the headless chicken / injury prone Kusunga as the only option for back-up.

Llera comes in and we have 4 CB's for options. We could play 3 CB's and go 3-5-1 if we wish with them on board.

Llera also gives something rare to; he's a genuine goal scorer yet he's a defender. His Free Kicks are actually quality, he can take a mean corner, has a long throw; and if he isnt taking the corners; then he's in the box being a real goal threat.

He's 34, his legs dont appear to have gone, he doesnt have a bad history of injuries, he's massively experienced, he's a leader; and even though he had the whole "head-gear/ gloves / tights" thing that doesn't help this image; he is actually a throw your body on the line, get stuck in defender too.

I just dont see the arguement for 'we need the money spent elsewhere' - when a player like this becomes available. For all we know, the money can still be used elsewhere even if Llera comes in?

Edited by slystallone

Why do some assume the rest of the budget will be used if we offer a contract to a 34 year old who is on trial.

He won't get anywhere near what he was earning on his last contract.

If we make him an offer it has to be within our scope and if he does not like it then he can try out somewhere else can't he? We have enough cover in that area anyway.

We hold the cards not the player for once.

Edited by palmer1

Can never gave enough defenders... injuries, form etc....

..... Obviously not to the detriment of midfield and strikers though. If budget allows and fair wage, Llera is a very decent acquisition. Experience, leadership, ability...

Kusunga may not be injured but 3 cb's for 2 positions 1 of which has history of being injury prone is a risk. Llera is a no brainer for me even with the defenders we have he offers far too much all round. I think he would probably be team captain too.

LJ in the press, and latics player has alluded that he has someone in mind other than Lockwood for the team captain role , could this possibly be Llera . It would make sense given that the team captain hasn't been announced yet.

LJ was also full of praise for Llera contribution on and off the field , so it could be him .Be a good signing I think still has a lot to offer at our level.

But i guess the flip side of that is that the budget already has enough in it to cover this possible move. I.e - its within the budget already?

Llera is a quality player for this level; and when quality becomes available and you can afford it; then you should go for it no?

Are we set at the back? Hmm. It did appear so, for starting; but i'd have said we were still 1 short, with Brian Wilson clearly coming in to the RB spot, and Mills at LB. that leaves J Wilson, Lockwood and Kusunga. I'd say we were always 1 defender still short in the that lineup; i did expect it to be a season long loan coming in to fill that spot; but if it turns out to be Llera, then even better.

I dont massively rate Kusunga, and Whilst Lockwood and J Wilson did so well for us, I wouldn't have wanted us to have had just them; with the headless chicken / injury prone Kusunga as the only option for back-up.

Llera comes in and we have 4 CB's for options. We could play 3 CB's and go 3-5-1 if we wish with them on board.

Llera also gives something rare to; he's a genuine goal scorer yet he's a defender. His Free Kicks are actually quality, he can take a mean corner, has a long throw; and if he isnt taking the corners; then he's in the box being a real goal threat.

He's 34, his legs dont appear to have gone, he doesnt have a bad history of injuries, he's massively experienced, he's a leader; and even though he had the whole "head-gear/ gloves / tights" thing that doesn't help this image; he is actually a throw your body on the line, get stuck in defender too.

I just dont see the arguement for 'we need the money spent elsewhere' - when a player like this becomes available. For all we know, the money can still be used elsewhere even if Llera comes in?

No doubt he is a quality L1 CB and would be an asset to any team in L1. We currently have Brown, B Wilson, Lockwood, J Wilson, Kusunga, Mills and Truelove for defensive options. There is alot of quality in there and the fact that Lockwood and Wilson have forged an understanding between them is invaluable. Tarky was a quality player but we looked shaky in defence with him whereas Lockwood and Wilson have given us a steady solid look to defence. It's the most solid we have looked in defence for a few years now. If Llera is happy to not be first choice and on a wage that is viable for us to still be able to bring in two decent wingers and a striker then all means happy for him to come in. However I'd suspect he would want to be first choice and be on a decent wedge but I don't see the need the have 6 defenders on a decent wedge.

Whatever money is left in the budget we should be looking to spend the majority on two decent wingers and a striker which is where we need quality currently rather than defence. If we have enough in the budget it be able to manage it than great, sign him up but I suspect we don't.

No doubt he is a quality L1 CB and would be an asset to any team in L1. We currently have Brown, B Wilson, Lockwood, J Wilson, Kusunga, Mills and Truelove for defensive options. There is alot of quality in there and the fact that Lockwood and Wilson have forged an understanding between them is invaluable. Tarky was a quality player but we looked shaky in defence with him whereas Lockwood and Wilson have given us a steady solid look to defence. It's the most solid we have looked in defence for a few years now. If Llera is happy to not be first choice and on a wage that is viable for us to still be able to bring in two decent wingers and a striker then all means happy for him to come in. However I'd suspect he would want to be first choice and be on a decent wedge but I don't see the need the have 6 defenders on a decent wedge.

Whatever money is left in the budget we should be looking to spend the majority on two decent wingers and a striker which is where we need quality currently rather than defence. If we have enough in the budget it be able to manage it than great, sign him up but I suspect we don't.

I dont think we need 2 wingers bringing in. I don't think we need a winger bringing in at all; even with having some last season, other than the first few months; we didnt actually play in a style that warranted having them.

We have Dayton, we have Winchester; and both B Wilson and Mills can go up higher if needed.

1st pre-season game it's been said we lined up 4-3-3; and you dont need wingers for that formation.

I just think we do happen to have the budget for Llera; otherwise he patently wouldnt be on trial with us; and for me, for a player like him; its a no brainer.

If he comes in, for me - and this is just me mind - we'd only need another midfielder; not a winger a midfielder, and a striker; possibly 2 strikers and we'd be pretty much done for fully signed up contracted players...

I could see Jack Truelove as a winger, he's bloody fast...

3-5-2 or 3-4-3 allowing us more numbers in midfield or attack. No wingers needed the attacking fullbacks or wide-midfielders like Mills or Brown or Dayton or even Truelove.

I think 4-4-2 is too rigid and having three strong and disciplined central defenders gives us the fluidity to defend and attack on the break but more so play our football in the final two-thirds of the pitch.

Uncertain what LJ's preferred formation is but some of the players on trial or brought in so far during the summer can play some exciting and attacking football.

Dark horses?

True, but were we so solid because Smith was protecting them? Lockwood always seemed a bit slow to me.