Meanwhile, over in Yorkshire...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if Dickov will sill be in charge should Donny have a have a bad start to the season

I see this as last chance saloon for Dickov as a manager.

In the 4ish seasons he's been a manager it's clear to anyone who is close to the club he's at that a good manager would've done better, but from the outside each bad season could be seen as having mitigating circumstances. Even without new or rich owners, excuses will be very thin this season if they don't even look like succeeding.

In the 4ish seasons he's been a manager it's clear to anyone who is close to the club he's at that a good manager would've done better, but from the outside each bad season could be seen as having mitigating circumstances. Even without new or rich owners, excuses will be very thin this season if they don't even look like succeeding.

Tbf they were harshly relegated last season. The only needed a point to stay up, which they would have got had a blantant dive not resulted in a penalty during their final game. Add to that they were beating Charlton away 2 or 3 nil and the game was abandoned at half time. When the match was replayed they lost.

Quite hard done by.

Not a great environment in which to try and prove yourself.

The Sheffield Star have just Tweeted that the deal is off and that John Ryan has had enough.

If this is true I think it demonstrates that having a rich backer is all very well and good. But in the lower leagues they've only got a limited life span. Doncaster have been fortunate to progress to the level they're at now, but not everyone is as lucky. It'll be interesting to see what happens at Donny

I wanted Dickov out for a long time before he actually went but I'd not have it within me to give him any stick next season. The way he celebrated the equaliser against Everton from the TV gantry put to bed any dislike of the bloke.

Exactly where I am. I was a massive critic of his, but I would give him no grief at all when he comes back to BP...

Suggestions on the donny forum that dickov was shafted by us and walked away because of financial problems.

Am I missing something here?

I thought we asked him to go because he was a :censored: manager. Thoroughly nice bloke, but a :censored: manager.

Suggestions on the donny forum that dickov was shafted by us and walked away because of financial problems.

I thought we asked him to go because he was a :censored: manager. Thoroughly nice bloke, but a :censored: manager.

Simon Corney the day after Liverpool victory didn't help our media portrayal.

But yes, nice bloke, :censored:e manager.

He gave an interview after getting the Donny job saying his back room staff were fired off for financial reasons and that there was a lack of money.

Sort of true I suppose. I'd say he was fired because he'd clearly shown he couldn't reverse our declining league fortunes.

Worked hard. Tried his best. Decent bloke. Not good enough.

He gave an interview after getting the Donny job saying his back room staff were fired off for financial reasons and that there was a lack of money.

Sort of true I suppose. I'd say he was fired because he'd clearly shown he couldn't reverse our declining league fortunes.

Worked hard. Tried his best. Decent bloke. Not good enough.

I never really understood Corney there. It did make him look a bit of an idiot really and provided the perfect getaway for Dickov, unless that was his aim in the first place?

I never really understood Corney there. It did make him look a bit of an idiot really and provided the perfect getaway for Dickov, unless that was his aim in the first place?

He'd lost however many it was out of the last however many games at the time - was Corney supposed to lie and say his job was safe and then sack him? Edited by HarryBosch

He'd lost however many it was out of the last however many games at the time - was Corney supposed to lie and say his job was safe and then sack him?

I think it could have been handled better for PR purposes but you've got a point and it was best for the club that Dickov walked rather then was sacked.

On the other hand, the media were also unfair to SC in having a go at him. As good as the Liverpool game was, it merely highlighted what we weren't doing in the league.