Oldham Sign Two Trialists

In the MEN click here to see, William Gros month by month contract and Amari Morgan-Smith on a one year contract.

Johnson said he is delighted to have two new additions and hopes to add more soon.

Don't :rifle: the messenger.

Ian G.

Edited by pcassist

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect these to be just squad players. We still need a goalscorer and Gros evidently isn't one, and we need a left winger to replace Harkins, a player from the Conference would really be a steal to match or come close to the effect he had.

Attacking options aren't quite up to the same standard as the rest of the team, which could lead to another barren goalscoring season where we're overly expectant of JCH, Jones and Kelly to get us goals and chances. Let's hope LJ has a good grasp of the loan market. In terms of the first team, we still need players for the positions we've signed these two for today.

'We need a goal scorer'. So does everyone else, there aren't that many around and they tend to sign for clubs who will pay them. You have to try and build a team that's going to get goals as a collective rather than rely on one player and I presume that's what Johnson is aiming for. The last pure scorer we had was Hughes and that was only because no one else would stoop low enough to sign him.

'We need a goal scorer'. So does everyone else, there aren't that many around and they tend to sign for clubs who will pay them. You have to try and build a team that's going to get goals as a collective rather than rely on one player and I presume that's what Johnson is aiming for. The last pure scorer we had was Hughes and that was only because no one else would stoop low enough to sign him.

I'd say we don't need a 20 goal a season man and I hope I'm proven wrong but I just can't see where the goals are going to come from at this moment in time

Look at the stats of the forwards we have at the moment:

Gros 2 in 49 at Killmarnock

Philliskirk 4 in 38 last season

Clarke-Harris 6 in 40 last season

Turner 6 in 14 in Conference North

Morgan-Smith 9 in 38 in the Conference

on trial

Forte 9 in 100 for Scunthorpe

I'm not demanding we go out and sign a 20 goal a season man, but those stats don't fill me with a great deal of confidence. Some of those players are only young and have bags of potential, but we're taking a big gamble at the moment. I'd be happier if we bring in an experienced forward/attacking midfielder to support them.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Apart from Bradford what has he done. He's got the chris Taylor mentality trying to be a big fish in a small pond

The argument is not what he has done, but what he might yet do. He might not of course do much at all, but its worth giving him a try and see what happens.

JCH needs to learn to be more composed in front of goal, he tends to snatch at chances or tries breaking the net. He's still young and hopefully learning his trade.

I do think we're still a striker short, someone with a bit of know how. Time will tell I suppose.

I expect these to be just squad players. We still need a goalscorer and Gros evidently isn't one, and we need a left winger to replace Harkins, a player from the Conference would really be a steal to match or come close to the effect he had.

Attacking options aren't quite up to the same standard as the rest of the team, which could lead to another barren goalscoring season where we're overly expectant of JCH, Jones and Kelly to get us goals and chances. Let's hope LJ has a good grasp of the loan market. In terms of the first team, we still need players for the positions we've signed these two for today.

We had one, Adam Rooney, everyone hated him.