• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Gobsmacked"

&

"An extra big Xmas pressie from AMS to his agent methinks........"

Are the two comments so far on the Kidderminster forum

(Awaits the we'll wait and see him in an oldham shirt comments)

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Some of the most prolific goalscorers have lean patches and then purple patches.

Take Rooney had an example - couldn't score for us (4 in 24) went to Aberdeen and bagged 7 in 13. Before us; 44 in 103 for ICT and 9 in 29 for Swindon. Birmingham he scored 4 in 18.

Rickie Lambert similar; 8 in 14 and 18 in 98 for Macclesfield and Stockport respectively. He then went on to Rochdale, Bristol Rovers and Southampton where his scoring ratio had improved each time.

I'm not saying these two will replicate the above but give them a chance. Kidderminster probably think the same about Morgan-Smith like we fund with Craig Davies who scored 10 in 44 for us, struggled at Brighton but then went to Chesterfield and bagged 23 in 41.

This lad Morgan-Smith scored 10 out on the wing but was touted as a non-league hot shot whilst at Ilkeston.

Different clubs suit different players and Morgan-Smith impressed in the preseason friendly. LJ must have liked something to sign him for one year after just one game. He's had he scouted numerous times previously.

Some of the most prolific goalscorers have lean patches and then purple patches.

My concern is that none of our strikers have ever had a purple patch at this level, that's how inexperienced they are. At least when we had Rooney there was evidence he would've gone through a decent spell eventually.

I'm sure in five years time a few of our strikers will be scoring at a higher level, but this is now, and it's incredibly risky that we're working on optimism that some will suddenly mature. I know it might be financially tight but I would've liked the safety net of a proven goalscorer, even if it's a loan or the twilight of their career.

My concern is that none of our strikers have ever had a purple patch at this level, that's how inexperienced they are. At least when we had Rooney there was evidence he would've gone through a decent spell eventually.

I'm sure in five years time a few of our strikers will be scoring at a higher level, but this is now, and it's incredibly risky that we're working on optimism that some will suddenly mature. I know it might be financially tight but I would've liked the safety net of a proven goalscorer, even if it's a loan or the twilight of their career.

A loan possibly but unfortunately this is our position these days...blow all our budget on a proven striker and struggle in other areas or have insufficient players to cope with injury and form or spread the budget and gamble on strikers.

"Gobsmacked"

&

"An extra big Xmas pressie from AMS to his agent methinks........"

Are the two comments so far on the Kidderminster forum

(Awaits the we'll wait and see him in an oldham shirt comments)

Nah you're right he's definately complete bollocks, some guys on a forum said so.

As an average standard football player it drives me bonkers when people just look at stats for a strinker of games to goals ratio...there are so many other factors that on whole impact on how many goals are scored in any one season.

The biggest being the talent of the squad around them and the tactics they play throughout the season...for example you put JCH in the Peterboroughs team last season he would have scored double the goals in his sleep simply because of Peterboroughs attacking style of play. Thats before you look at the talent of the squad around him that improve his play and also put more chances on a plate for him.

I agree, it's a concern and a gamble. But what strikers with a proven record at this level are available? I've not checked but has anyone else in our league got someone in who we've should have been in for?

I agree, it's a concern and a gamble. But what strikers with a proven record at this level are available? I've not checked but has anyone else in our league got someone in who we've should have been in for?

This. I get the impression some people think there's a surplus of affordable proven 20-goal-a-season strikers or definite (and affordable) hot prospects just waiting for our call.

That's how i've read it. "We offered him a deal but he turned it down" type thing...

yep that's how it seems to me, I think I'm one of the minority who wouldn't be to arsed if he didn't sign, he's a very good player for this level, however our defence is looking strong at the moment and I'd rather see the money being used towards a goalscorer

I'd be happy if we start the season with the strikers we have (or at least without a proven goalscorer at this level), giving our current players a chance to impress.

JCH and Philliskirk would've been the ideal partnership but with Philliskirk missing a lot of pre-season giving him the starting place wouldn't be that smart.

For the 5 league (and cup) games we don't have much to lose. If it works then we have some money to spend on another area of the club or a key loan in the future, but if not then we can spend a bit extra on the vital striker at the end of the transfer window. There are a lot of good strikers available at the end of the window.

The long and short of it in the space of a year we've gone from having a lot of decent attacking options and a very thin defence to having a lot of decent defensive options and a very thin attack.

Attacks win games

Defences win trophies.

Billy Clarke, Paynter, Akinfenwa, Lowe, McLeod, Barnard, Tubbs, Zola.