Yeah I liked Haining very much, Beherall was cack tho. I think too much emphasis being placed on this formation and that formation. If every man does his job and works for the team , any of the discussed formations could be effective . I'm Sure LJ knows what shape we gonna take and is signing players accordingly. Having not been to any pre-season games I will wait and see how we line-up come the REAL games. I think too many people reading too much into these PRACTICE sessions.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I often wonder why go the expense of batting and bowling coaches, the England players seem to go worse after all the scientific analysis of their techniques.

I noticed Newcastle had some kind of SatNav device attached to the back of their shirts, I assume to work out how many million miles they had run.

On second thoughts LJ could attach SatNavs to the Latics strikers shirts and set them in the direction of the opposition penalty area.

Heart rate monitors so the staff could assess how hard they were working (and prevent them working too hard)

Heart rate monitors so the staff could assess how hard they were working (and prevent them working too hard)

I thought out of breath and sweat told you that ?

Edited by BP1960

I think going from 4 at the back to 3 at the back takes the team as a whole to adjust, which is why it isn't used often at this level. Going from 4-4-2 to 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 is much easier.

But I agree with the OP that it is a formation that could suit our players. Our full backs are mobile and energetic enough to get forward although whether they are disciplined enough with the extra responsibility remains to be seen. It would allow us to make the most of players in positions that we have depth in (notably central defence and midfield). We have mobile strikers who could run the channels and it also means we won't be isolating JCH/A.N.Other up front. Finally, it gets rid of one of my bugbears from last season: wingers who don't offer enough to the team consistently!

I'm glad LJ is trying different formations now and I'd rather have our money go towards someone like Llera rather than 2 wingers, especially if we have a system which accommodates him easily. As a regular starting XI this interests me:

Rachubka

Lockwood

J Wilson (Sweeper)

Llera/Kusunga

B Wilson/Brown (wing-back)

Jones

Dieng

Kelly

Mills (wing-back)

Philliskirk

JCH

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

3-5-2 believe it or not is harder for centre backs to accustom themselves too,

edit: i know these are proffesionals paid money to do it but still..

take wilson lockwood and kusunga for example, two of the three will be less central then they are used to and will take them 20 minutes to settle into the game, but.. if worked on in training and used consistently it could be a potentially good formation! the wing backs aren't the problem though, most would prefer playing at wing back then full back!

Edited by kieranmcandrew

3-5-2 believe it or not is harder for centre backs to accustom themselves too, one of my worst performances/team performances was at centre back in a 3-5-2!

edit: i know these are proffesionals paid money to do it but still..

take wilson lockwood and kusunga for example, two of the three will be less central then they are used to and will take them 20 minutes to settle into the game, but.. if worked on in training and used consistently it could be a potentially good formation! the wing backs aren't the problem though, most would prefer playing at wing back then full back!

Wasn't it used effectively in the second half at Mansfield in the FA cup last season?

Wasn't it used effectively in the second half at Mansfield in the FA cup last season?

it was, i was suprised not to see it again after that though! he comes across as a manager who likes to have two or three styles of play - hopefully he can use them effectively depending on our opponents