Morecambe v Latics

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9:05 PM

OldhamAthleticAFC

@OfficialOAFC

76' Clarke-Harris flicks the ball over the Philliskirk but the linesman flags for offside. Close call.

Excellent, he shall from now on be known as THE Philliskirk :)

No The Philliskirk is his Dad.

I'm always puzzled when fans/pundits/etc criticise a teams performance after trying a new formation for the first time. If we're going to attempt 3-5-2 or any other formation, it needs to be worked over a long period of time. I know we'll prob stay up with it, but feck me it's boring watching 0-0s/1-0s/0-1s.......

I'm always puzzled when fans/pundits/etc criticise a teams performance after trying a new formation for the first time. If we're going to attempt 3-5-2 or any other formation, it needs to be worked over a long period of time. I know we'll prob stay up with it, but feck me it's boring watching 0-0s/1-0s/0-1s.......

True it is much better watching 2-2's than a 1-0 win!

Not potent enough up front.

Mellor and Winchester looked lively, as did Mills and Wilson.

Philiskirk was off the pace (to be expected) but Gros was very unconvincing.

Cracking second goal by JCH, not sure Lockwood knew much about the corner. Coleman is obviously still learning and won't be able to provide adequate cover should Rachubka be out for a prolonged period.

All that said, we were missing Brown, Forte, Dayton, Dieng, Mike Jones (for 60-odd minutes) and Kusunga. Not even mentioning Morgan-Smith and Turner.

If we sign Forte I think we have enough options, a good number of my starting 11 on 9th August were on the bench or not playing at all.

I think this formation has legs but I'm not convinced Gros is any part of it.

Not potent enough up front.

Mellor and Winchester looked lively, as did Mills and Wilson.

Philiskirk was off the pace (to be expected) but Gros was very unconvincing.

Cracking second goal by JCH, not sure Lockwood knew much about the corner. Coleman is obviously still learning and won't be able to provide adequate cover should Rachubka be out for a prolonged period.

All that said, we were missing Brown, Forte, Dayton, Dieng, Mike Jones (for 60-odd minutes) and Kusunga. Not even mentioning Morgan-Smith and Turner.

If we sign Forte I think we have enough options, a good number of my starting 11 on 9th August were on the bench or not playing at all.

I think this formation has legs but I'm not convinced Gros is any part of it.

Cheers for that bluehart,

Given there's a deal on the table, he played the full game and we conceded twice, how did Llera do?

Jones wasnt missing <edited out unnecessary insult>
We were horrific not looking good no idea what to do up top never looked like scoring looky deflection and a worldie from clarke harris dont know where the goal are coming from this season

Edited by Zorrro

Yea looks like 3-1-4-2 to me with Brown and Mills falling back to make it 5-1-2-2 when under pressure

Coleman

Lockwood - Llera - Wilson

Kelly

Brown - Mellor - Winchester - Mills

FFS Mellor and Winchester midfield what did anyone expect from tonight!!!!

Edited by oafc21

Yea looks like 3-1-4-2 to me with Brown and Mills falling back to make it 5-1-2-2 when under pressure

Coleman

Lockwood - Llera - Wilson

Kelly

Brown - Mellor - Winchester - Mills

FFS Mellor and Winchester midfield what did anyone expect from tonight!!!!

Mellor and Winchester stand-out performers. I take it that nobody expected that?

Jones wasnt missing <edited out unnecessary insult>

We were horrific not looking good no idea what to do up top never looked like scoring looky deflection and a worldie from clarke harris dont know where the goal are coming from this season

Not sure why I'm responding but Jones replaced Mellor on 61 minutes, so yeah, he was missing for over an hour. But hey, at least we can all complain about where all of our goal this season are coming from.

It said on the official website Mellor played in front of the back 4, does that equate to 5-3-2?

More of a 3-3-2-2 ?

For what it's worth, it did look like Mills and B. Wilson were playing wing back. In the first half especially midfield was flooded and we won the ball back pretty quickly with Winchester, Mellor and Kelly linking up well with tackles breaking up their play followed by intricate little passes to find space.

Cheers for that bluehart,

Given there's a deal on the table, he played the full game and we conceded twice, how did Llera do?

Llera looked good again, I'll have to see their first goal again as it was a little sloppy but it was J Wilson/Lockwood's side of defence at fault for the second. Llera took a pretty decent free kick on the edge of their area that had he been five yards further out had a good chance of testing the keeper, he didn't quite manage to get it to dip quick enough. Edited by blueatheart

Not sure why I'm responding but Jones replaced Mellor on 61 minutes, so yeah, he was missing for over an hour. But hey, at least we can all complain about where all of our goal this season are coming from.

More of a 3-3-2-2 ?

For what it's worth, it did look like Mills and B. Wilson were playing wing back. In the first half especially midfield was flooded and we won the ball back pretty quickly with Winchester, Mellor and Kelly linking up well with tackles breaking up their play followed by intricate little passes to find space.

Llera looked good again, I'll have to see their first goal again as it was a little sloppy but it was J Wilson/Lockwood's side of defence at fault for the second. Llera took a pretty decent free kick on the edge of their area that had he been five yards further out had a good chance of testing the keeper, he didn't quite manage to get it to dip quick enough.

Cheers again for the info pal, helpful posts.

Lj has spoke of 'genius' when referring to Baxter and harkins over the last two seasons and it can be argued we'd be in league two now if it wasn't for both players contributions to goals/assists over the two previous seasons .

Who is our 'genius' player in the current squad ? Who can unlock defences ? Who can provide a moment of match winning brilliance ?

Lj has spoke of 'genius' when referring to Baxter and harkins over the last two seasons and it can be argued we'd be in league two now if it wasn't for both players contributions to goals/assists over the two previous seasons .

Who is our 'genius' player in the current squad ? Who can unlock defences ? Who can provide a moment of match winning brilliance ?

Winchester

Perhaps rather than individual 'genius' players, we have more consistent performers that can operate at a higher level as a collective.

Given the pedigree of the Wilson's, Kusunga, Jones and Kelly, I hope that down the middle we have that consistency. Certainly going off of last night, Winchester and Mellor could step up to the first team this season whilst retaining the ability to perform. You ask about match winning brilliance, last night one goal one scored from a corner and one a screamer from outside the box, JCH has shown he can do it, but he needs to do it often.

Like I said above though, we lack some potency up front.