Morecambe v Latics

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps rather than individual 'genius' players, we have more consistent performers that can operate at a higher level as a collective.

Given the pedigree of the Wilson's, Kusunga, Jones and Kelly, I hope that down the middle we have that consistency. Certainly going off of last night, Winchester and Mellor could step up to the first team this season whilst retaining the ability to perform. You ask about match winning brilliance, last night one goal one scored from a corner and one a screamer from outside the box, JCH has shown he can do it, but he needs to do it often.

Like I said above though, we lack some potency up front.

If Mellor and Winchester are up there as our best midfielders, we're in for a long, hard season.

If Mellor and Winchester are up there as our best midfielders, we're in for a long, hard season.

I didn't say best, if they need to be played they can keep up the level on consistency.

They worked very, very well last night and Winchester in particular looked threatening.

They might not make it, but James Wilson said he had to leave Bristol City because he was always seen as the kid. Maybe the same is said of these two.

Think about it though - which other player is as classy on the ball, can go past a man so elegantly and can score spectacular goals?

Unfortunately I'm busy ripping it up for (my Sunday team at) Crystal Palace (sports centre). I'm not moving for less than a grand a week.

Winchester and Mellor certainly aren't in the Baxter/Harkins bracket, but they both should get a fair crack of the whip this season to prove themselves.

Winchester has shown more than Mellor so far from what I've seen (certainly more consistency) so he should definitely be in contention for a starting place.

Perhaps rather than individual 'genius' players, we have more consistent performers that can operate at a higher level as a collective.

Given the pedigree of the Wilson's, Kusunga, Jones and Kelly, I hope that down the middle we have that consistency. Certainly going off of last night, Winchester and Mellor could step up to the first team this season whilst retaining the ability to perform. You ask about match winning brilliance, last night one goal one scored from a corner and one a screamer from outside the box, JCH has shown he can do it, but he needs to do it often.

Like I said above though, we lack some potency up front.

If you dont mind answering, how was the tempo of our play last night?

Just wondering how we moved the ball about, how we broke forward and how many players we had breaking forward with some form of intent & pace?

If you dont mind answering, how was the tempo of our play last night?

Just wondering how we moved the ball about, how we broke forward and how many players we had breaking forward with some form of intent & pace?

The first half seemed better to me with Winchester, Mellor and Kelly linking up well with quick fire short passing to find space in the centre of the park before passing it down the wing or (some very good) crossing to the opposite flank. B Wilson and Mills were constantly looking to get forward with the back three looking to cover where needed during counter attacks.

Winchester in particular broke forward several times and from where we were stood looked like he had scored a screamer at one point (hit the side netting). The ball moved around well and it was about ball retention and not wasting possession. We tended to have four or five players behind most attacks with either (or both flanks) running up to support along with the front two and one of the midfielders.

During the second half the system broke down a little, I imagine Phili was tiring as this was his first run out (although he did have some good hold up play) and Gros seemed to try and do a lot without much end product. Without the support of forwards looking for the ball the midfield didn't have chance.

Overall, we looked pretty comfortable on the ball but Winchester seemed to fade a little before he was taken off. Mellor in particular was impressive looking for through balls and always looking for the runner.

It's not SDP. BP's shorter, quicker and everyone knows what it is.

I'm not willing to upset our esteemed sponsors so will refer to the stadium by its correct title and I hope all TRUE Oldham fans will do likewise.

Edited by deyres42