The top, the bottom and Latics

A few people suggesting Coventry will struggle. They don't have a points deduction again do they. ? And aren't they going back to the Ricoh ? Don't see them as relegation fodder myself nor do I think they will be troubling the playoff places.

Surely FFP rules are going to effect them badly? While a move back to the Ricoh might be in the offing, getting 1,500 for home matches at a ground that isn't theirs in the interim isn't going to get them many players.

Edited by JoeP

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his career average is less than a goal every four games, I'd hardly call him prolific.

I hadnt seen they'd signed him

To be fair, most of that career has been spent in the Championship. Dropping down to this division should see his average pick up somewhat; cracking signing for a League One side i'd say...

A few people suggesting Coventry will struggle. They don't have a points deduction again do they. ? And aren't they going back to the Ricoh ? Don't see them as relegation fodder myself nor do I think they will be troubling the playoff places.

So who is everyone's dark horses for this season ? And why ?

Coventry have made some decent signings at this level but their squad is fairly small as they have sold some crucial players. The Wilson deal will help with their FFP in the short term though. While they could end up back at the Ricoh it still seems as though the club owners (SISU) and the stadium owners (ACL) are miles apart from even negotiating. I've put them in the drop zone not due to their current squad but because the off field mess makes them likely to implode at some point in the season.

As for dark horses, Notts are one of them as despite losing some good players they've made some shrewd moves (Hayden Mullins being a good example) who don't seem spectacular on their own but will make them fairly consistent and hard to beat. Fleetwood and Scunny seem to be able to spend a bit of cash so they could upset the applecart. The other one that stands out is Orient if they really have the backing that allows them to throw their weight around.

On the flip side, Posh will underachieve if Ferguson gets the whole season and MK will do what is becoming their usual trick: spend most of their budget on 14 top players at this level + youth players then fail to fill their bench when injuries/suspensions hit and tail off, ending up just inside the top half.

Yeah was shocked when someone earlier in thread tipped them to go down. I really don't see them struggling tbf. Maybe my prediction of auto is a bit far fetched , but with this league you just don't know and it wouldn't even surprise me to see someone like Colchester (who many seem to be predicting for a tough season myself included )do well. Let's just hope it's us out of the perennial strugglers to surprise a few.

From what I saw in the League 2 Play-off final, they will need to drastically improve if they're to challenge in my eyes. Though if they sign Stephen Dobbie it will be a massive step in the right direction

It's wrong to judge these things on crowds. For example I read somewhere that Walsall make more money out of advertising hoardings than they do from gate receipts.

I would imagine Walsall make absolutely loads out of that massive advertising board in full view of the M6.

Would Coventry be making much from advertising at a stadium that's someone else's?

I think they've been there about a year now - can't really see how they can compete if their current set-up continues.

• 3 months later...

So, Sheff Utd are going to piss the league yet again? :grin:

I don't see it myself.

They did finish last season well but Clough had Derby looking good at times most seasons but they ultimately never did deliver. Then look at them after they sacked him.

5-1 makes them the shortest lower league favourites but it's still not exactly a short price.

Peterborough look more likely to me, Bacon Face Jr and his chairman know what to do plus they've got a new stand due up aswell for the lift that might bring.

Preston will go up too but probably via the play offs as Grayson seems to prefer that route :grin:

Barnsley might do alright. Danny Wilson was never going to last at Sheff Utd and might do well being allowed to go about his business quietly and with the full backing of their fans. And, again, he knows how to get promoted.

Bristol City will sack Cotterill partway through the season no doubt.

Orient had their chance last season.

I think we'll be solid at the back and in midfield, especially if Dieng proves to be a good player. How we do all hinges on the youngsters upfront.

I think Johnson's logic is that the best chance of getting a real tune out of kids like them is to give them responsibility, have them all vying to be the main man rather than playing second fiddle to an older head who will always be guaranteed a start ahead of them (if fit).

Similar to what he said with James Wilson last season - that he'd always been "the kid" at Bristol City - and look how well he did.

If it goes tits up I reckon there'll be money available to sign that older head again or bring in a loanee.

In our eyes Clarke Harris is probably ahead of where O'Grady was when he left and not too far behind where Craig Davis was when he went.

When was the last time we had two young strikers with potential starting a second season? And Bove, Turner and Gros snapping at their heels too.

Why can't we be this seasons Orient?

Or the season before's Yeovil? Who I also think will do alright again - and there would be a story the media would love were father and son to be battling each other for promotion. Things often pan out when there's such a story.

Rochdale will do alright again under that massive scruff Hill (who I'd have here in a heartbeat when Johnson moves onwards and upwards) :grin:

1 - Peterborough

2 - Oldham

3 - Barnsley

4 - Yeovil

5 - Preston

6 - Rochdale

Yeovil aside this isn't beyond the realms of possibility :grin:

• 2 months later...

Upboat for having the same idea that I had but actually finding the thread concerned.

Analysis of the contributors comes up with a top six of:

Preston

Sheff U

P'Boro

Bristol C

MK Dons

L Orient

and a bottom four of:

Crawley

Gillingham

Colchester

Crewe