Who were the last three GREAT Oldham players?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Wellens?

Good but not great...

The term "great" I would associate with a player who played for more than two seasons, made a massive impact on the club positively and is held with high regard and fondness.

Eyres is a club great; brilliant winger, gave us his all, delivered excitement to the game and when we were in a period of struggle, Eyresy was the one shining light. Continued in a coaching capacity and genuinely loved the club and fans as much as we loved him.

Sheridan was a class player despite us signing him from non-league, controlled games at his speed making those around him look inferior. Became our manager and was a success and, in my opinion, had he continued after that night at the Dogs, would have delivered is promotion.

Stitch - no need to comment really.

Nobody comes near to these three but Wellens, Gregan, Murray come close. I'd also include Hughes in this pack even with his history.

Good but not great...

The term "great" I would associate with a player who played for more than two seasons, made a massive impact on the club positively and is held with high regard and fondness. /quote]

OH, best alter mine...

for me, in my time watching probably eyres, sheridan and gregan

It depends how you define the term great.

Great for the club? Then I'd say it's fair to have Gregan and Taylor in there.

In terms of ability and achievement in the sport then Irwin, Sheridan and the like.

We've been a league one club for like 17 years, we don't have great players.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Joe Royle - Greatest ever manager

Roger Palmer - All time record goalscorer

Andy Ritchie - Voted the greatest ever player

They are the last 3 'Greats' the club has had.

Some players have given great service in the last 20 years Eyeres,Shez etc but they are not on the same level having never actually done anything but play league 1 football with us. Great service but......

Joe Royle - Greatest ever manager

Roger Palmer - All time record goalscorer

Andy Ritchie - Voted the greatest ever player

They are the last 3 'Greats' the club has had.

Some players have given great service in the last 20 years Eyeres,Shez etc but they are not on the same level having never actually done anything but play league 1 football with us. Great service but......

They're great if you've only been watching Latics in that time... Same as older players will be greats for older fans.

Ritchie was my hero as a kid but the 3 in I've gone for are the most recent I'd consider to be anywhere near great.

Would Chris Taylor be considered a great? I admit I forgot about him. However, whilst he was playing for us I thought he would become a great for the club and I would love him back at OAFC. Can score, has pace, strength, height, trickery and cockiness that gave us similar excitement that Eyresy did.

Would Chris Taylor be considered a great? I would say he's the closest to knocking Shez off one of the three pedestals but Stitch and Eyresy remain firm on theirs.

If there were five greats then add The Dodger to that mix but what about Ricky Holden, Pogs, Milligan, Irwin.... thinking about it, we've had some really great players..makes this season and the last few seem depressing...time for someone to come forward...

Who do you reckon has the potential?

Being a younger fan it has to be Taylor, Gregan and I hate to say it but Hughes' record was phenomenal for us. As somebody earlier in the thread says, if it wasn't for that night at the dogs Shez would have got us promoted. I 100% believe that.

For me Gregan has to be up there, he was here 5 or 6 seasons? He was captain and played every minute of every game and kept us in league 1 in his last season before Dickov let him go (he hates Dickov).

I was thinking the other day how those players involved in our cup run a couple of seasons ago would be pretty much forgotton about had it not been for just over 180 minutes of Football. Would anyone consider them greats?

The ones which stick out for me would be Eyres, Shez and Gregan.

They're great if you've only been watching Latics in that time... Same as older players will be greats for older fans.

Ritchie was my hero as a kid but the 3 in I've gone for are the most recent I'd consider to be anywhere near great.

No they are not. Thats my point, People may be a fan they may love a certain player and they may have been a great servant but in the context of the clubs history they are not club greats.

Good but not great...

The term "great" I would associate with a player who played for more than two seasons, made a massive impact on the club positively and is held with high regard and fondness.

Eyres is a club great; brilliant winger, gave us his all, delivered excitement to the game and when we were in a period of struggle, Eyresy was the one shining light. Continued in a coaching capacity and genuinely loved the club and fans as much as we loved him.

Sheridan was a class player despite us signing him from non-league, controlled games at his speed making those around him look inferior. Became our manager and was a success and, in my opinion, had he continued after that night at the Dogs, would have delivered is promotion.

Stitch - no need to comment really.

Nobody comes near to these three but Wellens, Gregan, Murray come close. I'd also include Hughes in this pack even with his history.

Agree with most of that. However, how can nobody come near to them and then you name three players who were close... Edited by Lee Sinnott

The ones which stick out for me would be Eyres, Shez and Gregan.

These are players who came to us at the very end of their careers and did a good job, Shez was once a GREAT player, ask any Wednesday fan, who showed great loyalty to us through tough times as did Eyresey. John Hurst and Vic Halom were in the same category in the seventies, once excellent players who stood out at a lower level.

For me the great players are the ones who were brilliant for us and went on to be class at a higher level.

1. Denis Irwin

2. Richard Jobson

3. Earl Barrett

Andy Ritcie wasn't a great player, the OED still don't have a suitable superlative to describe his magnificence.