Who were the last three GREAT Oldham players?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy Ritchie

Dennis Irwin

Ricky Holden

They not only mixed it with the best in England but beat them, and with some style! To be honest, I've only seen 4 players you could genuinely call GREAT in my 40 years supporting Latics - the other being Simon Stainrod.

These three are definite greats . I had the pleasure to be a supporter when Bobby Johnstone was here so must add him.

Stainrod was class and can understand why you named him but, for me, not quite in the same top top bracket as the other four

These three are definite greats . I had the pleasure to be a supporter when Bobby Johnstone was here so must add him.

Stainrod was class and can understand why you named him but, for me, not quite in the same top top bracket as the other four

It was unbelievable the effect that Stainrod had at Latics in just over 18 months. The day he was sold, a very white Jimmy Kirton who was my boss at the time came into the lunchroom and told me he had gone. I was equally devastated!

Then we signed Roger who? Roger :censored:ing who?

Edited by L1onheartNew

It was unbelievable the effect that Stainrod had at Latics in just over 18 months. The day he was sold, a very white Jimmy Kirton who was my boss at the time came into the lunchroom and told me he had gone. I was equally devastated!

Then we signed Roger who? Roger :censored:ing who?

Stainrod was simply a great showman. You'd go to games just to see him, because he had a swagger and a touch of magic about his game that just seemed so alien at little old Boundary Park. We all knew we were on borrowed time having a mercurial talent like that playing for us, but wow, was that a fantastic 18 months! Pity because I would have loved to have seen him spearhead one of Joe Royle's great teams.

Stainrod was simply a great showman. You'd go to games just to see him, because he had a swagger and a touch of magic about his game that just seemed so alien at little old Boundary Park. We all knew we were on borrowed time having a mercurial talent like that playing for us, but wow, was that a fantastic 18 months! Pity because I would have loved to have seen him spearhead one of Joe Royle's great teams.

On tour in about 1992 with my sunday league side (Lokomotiv Lewisham, Crystal Palace & District Sunday League Division 4) we played a game against the Falkirk fanzine on the Falkirk training ground outside the stadium. Some stranger wandered across and asked if he could join in - he did and proceeded to embarrass everyone else on the pitch; that was Simon Stainrod - Falkirk manager at the time. Methim again at a SAFE day when he was a players agent. Remembered the day; lovely bloke.