Best 11 of the halcyon Penney,Dickov,Johnson era

Amos?? He was keeper for the 0-6 Southampton (now Liverpool?) game and 0-5 Peterborough game. Didn't he let Lallana's shot through his legs too when the game was even?

All keepers make the odd howler but he made one of the best saves I've seen at BP against Carlisle (?)

That's pretty much my team, but...

Montano ahead of Harkins???

i'm a bit biased because I only saw Harkins when he'd been sussed out and was stuck on the left. And Montano obviously had his problems but was a proper left winger when he wasn't trying to get booked.

Cisak

Lee

M'voto

Gregan

Grounds

Croft

Smith

Stephens

Taylor

Baxter

Kuqi

That would be my XI with a bench of Tarkowski, Matt Smith, Harkins, Mills, Morais, Furman & Montano. No keeper but I'm sure Matt Smith could do a job.

I think this is a very interesting thread bearing in mind that we've not only been relatively mediocre in this period. But we've had a lot of players come and go

I think people didn't appreciate him at the time, but he was probably the last central midfielder we've had who could both create and score goals on a regular basis

My team would be

Gk: Bouzanis

RB: Lee

CB: Gregan

CB: Tarkowski

LB: Evina (remember him)

RM: Taylor

CM Stephens

CM: Wesolowski

LM: Harkins

CF: Baxter

ST: Abbott (scored over 30% of our goals in 09/10)

It appears that Dickov hasnt forgotten him either

Edited by L1onheartNew

Bouzanis (just from Cisak)

Mills

Gregan

Tarkowski

Lee

Stephens

Wesolowski

Harkins

Baxter

Taylor

M Smith (of the latter stages)

4-2-3-1 - in a Pochetino @ Espanyol + Southampton style (i know i keep going on about that formation!)

Gregan to marshall and do the ugly stuff, Tarky to be encouraged to bring the ball out. Lee & Mills given scope to get forward as much as possible.

Stephens deep lying play-maker; picking it up from the defence as / when & driving it forwards and or picking the forward pass. Wes to be, well, Wes and do the hassling and ball winning.

Then a front 4 really of 2 older style inside forwards in Taylor & Harkins, a number 10 in Baxter and the big man in M Smith.

Bench of Cisak, M'Voto, Grounds, K Smith, Morais and Kuqi.

Promotion side!!!!! ATTACK!!!!!!!!!

Edited by slystallone

Worrying. Looking at this "11" tells you why we have not got out of league 1. Put Dowies 11 in and we would have been promoted any other season. Which of this 11 would have got in his team? Baxter at a push?

Edited by melia

Worrying. Looking at this "11" tells you why we have not got out of league 1. Put Dowies 11 in and we would have been promoted any other season. Which of this 11 would have got in his team? Baxter at a push?

Gregan, most probably.

Other than that, i'd struggle to fit people in.

Amos

Lee ( I dream of 11 Kieran Lee's)

Grounds

Tarkowski

Sheehan

Smith

Stephens

Taylor

Harkins

Smith

Baxter

It was a tough call between Harkins & Josh Parker tbh

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking "Why has nobody put Sheehan in?"

Well Done, Steven...

Amos?? He was keeper for the 0-6 Southampton (now Liverpool?) game and 0-5 Peterborough game. Didn't he let Lallana's shot through his legs too when the game was even?

I'd go for (all at their best, this wouldn't be a consistent team):

Cisak

Lee Gregan Tarky Grounds

Taylor Stephens Smith Montano

Baxter

Smith

Think all of these teams reflect the fact that we've spent the last five years below 15th sadly.

And he was easily our MOM that night, without him it could have been 18

As I was reading through this thread, I was thinking "Why has nobody put Sheehan in?"

Well Done, Steven...

I thought you would appreciate my tarkowski/grounds centre half pairing with their playing out from the back abilities. I didnt want to go for the :censored: block all things centre halves like Gregan/Hazell/Mvoto.

I thought you would appreciate my tarkowski/grounds centre half pairing with their playing out from the back abilities. I didnt want to go for the :censored: block all things centre halves like Gregan/Hazell/Mvoto.

Gregan? He can't be lumped in with M'voto and Hazell.