Mail running a story on scholes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He part owns Salford too; "the five intend to invest [in Salford City] with the aim of progression to the football league".

Don't worry he'll be back on the OAFC agenda, he'll soon get bored when he has to feign interest in a Doodson Cup game against Prescott Cables on a :censored:ing Tuesday night in Feb.

Bit of a none story this ain't it.

We know he is a fan we know the door is always open to him if he wants to pop along and play or help out in training.

How long him and his mates will be looking to stick it out at Salford City is entirely upto them although I doubt world domination is on their mind. From a footballing point of view I would hope that they are doing it to put something back into the game that's given them a great life. It would be nice if it started a precident of top footballers doing the same.

Edited by GlossopLatic

If he buys a shirt or two, attends games with his kids, spares five minutes to boost our profile in the media then he's doing his part.

Realistically, dropping down to League One and the target for every clogger in the middle of the park plus opposing fans?? If I was him, I definitely wouldn't do it when retired let alone when he was match fit. Retiring gracefully as a pundit.

By pure coincidence, I was reading an interview with him from a 2004 issue of Four Four Two earlier today.

"Most of the kids at my school supported United or City, but my dad took me to see Oldham when I was young and from then on I was hooked. It made you a bit different in the playground being an Oldham fan. It was just me and another lad."

He goes on to mention standing with the Latics fans at Maine Road for the 1990 FA Cup semi final (in spite of being on the books at Utd) and travelling down to Upton Park for the League Cup semi final second leg.

He goes on to say how Andy Ritchie was his hero: "because he used to score all the goals."

(Un)fortunately, I can't read the Daily Heil article, because that website is blocked in Thailand. What does it say?

Edited by ThaiLatic

Obviously he supports Man U he played for them throughout his career BUT if he didn't have a soft spot for Latics why would he attend games and be seen helping out and helping to promote the new away kit? Simples.

If being a Latics fan is a myth then explain the following that was witnessed by the worlds football press...

Paul Scholes was asked, in Saporro on the eve of England playing Argentina in World Cup 2002, who is favourite player was. Bryan Robson? George Best? Even Pele or Zidane? No, he answered Frankie Bunn. The press, especially those outside of this country, were puzzled so another asked him who his next favourite player was... Scholes answered Andy Ritchie.

I can't recall the journalist but one who follows Manchester United closely and interviewed the players stated that Scholes treasures his medals through his his career but alongside those he keeps a huge collection of Oldham Athletic match programmes that he's amassed over the years of following the club home and away...even when he signed for United.

whether he's a united fan or an oldham fan, to choose boundary park 9 times out of 10 over a nice warm box at old trafford with a 3 course meal and unlimited drinks every game... says a lot to me!

he's one of us, the mad ones that slog it out and hand over our money to watch a s**** performance week in week out with the odd moment of luxury a.l.a peterborough this season!

Edited by kieranmcandrew

Don't worry he'll be back on the OAFC agenda, he'll soon get bored when he has to feign interest in a Doodson Cup game against Prescott Cables on a :censored:ing Tuesday night in Feb.

That's the Doodson Sports Cup, amateur.. ?

One of the biggest myths around these parts is that Scholes is an Oldham fan. He's a United fan. Always has been. Sometimes tips up at Latics games. I think it was Diego who has previously put the article on here when he says as much...

The one to which you refer:

In May 2009, Scholes said in the Telegraph:

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in! “

I don't care who what when he use to support us or manure, he turns up and pays his money and stands on the terraces and is prepared to give us a bit of publicity of nowt....with a bloody horrendous shirt to boot, we should pay him as an apology for it clashing with his hair colour....yikes...

Have just has a orrible flash back of Chris Taylor in the yellow one....shiver down my spine...thank god we donated ours it to a waiter in Cuba.

One of the biggest myths around these parts is that Scholes is an Oldham fan. He's a United fan. Always has been. Sometimes tips up at Latics games. I think it was Diego who has previously put the article on here when he says as much...

Yet strangely I use to sit on the supporters coach with him for many away game in late 80's ???

442 article on him many years ago quoted him saying he use to travel home / away watching Latics during our promoted / cups runs

Edited by Markoasis