Mail running a story on scholes

There's lots wrong with private schools and what they stand for

Is there?

If you've got the money to pay for the better things in life there's nothing wrong with that, the entire population of the UK's children are entitled to free education and free healthcare.. If you want to go private your welcome to do so it's your money paying for it

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a parent, my experience of private schools is nothing but positive. The child comes first. It's the state system that has lost its way despite the best efforts of many teachers. What does the state system stand for? Achieving average. That's appalling. Well done to those self motivated children who get beyond average within that system.

I have three kids. Two went to state schools and one goes to private school.

The older two were part of a system that aimed to get people to a certain level of attainment. One was capable of more and was allowed to drift down to the "required" standard. The other was seen as too far short of that standard and left to rot. Neither fulfilled potential academically.

The other goes to a private school. As well as fulfilling his potential academically he has developed into a confident and well rounded individual, without the streak of arrogance that I feared such an education would give him.

It's a massive regret for me that I didn't have the means to educate the other two the same way. It's by far the best money I've spent on anything in my life and while we've gone without things to fund it the results (and I don't just mean GCSEs) have been more than worthwhile.

Given economies of scale within the state system it should be able to educate bad develop individuals far better than it does. Alas, it's continuously fannied about with by central and local government and inflexible unions and has long since lost sight of what really matters. The kids.

Jealousy of private education and a political will to destroy it is completely ill-judged. Expanding access to it would be a better political goal.

Edited by opinions4u

What Opinions said.

There are advantages to going to state schools at University, if you are applying to competitive courses or universities.

Bright, hard-working children will succeed at both. However, bright children who have reasons not to work hard, other than laziness, such as ill health, will in my experience do better at private schools.

Is there?

If you've got the money to pay for the better things in life there's nothing wrong with that, the entire population of the UK's children are entitled to free education and free healthcare.. If you want to go private your welcome to do so it's your money paying for it

It's not free

As a parent, my experience of private schools is nothing but positive. The child comes first. It's the state system that has lost its way despite the best efforts of many teachers. What does the state system stand for? Achieving average. That's appalling. Well done to those self motivated children who get beyond average within that system.

I have three kids. Two went to state schools and one goes to private school.

The older two were part of a system that aimed to get people to a certain level of attainment. One was capable of more and was allowed to drift down to the "required" standard. The other was seen as too far short of that standard and left to rot. Neither fulfilled potential academically.

The other goes to a private school. As well as fulfilling his potential academically he has developed into a confident and well rounded individual, without the streak of arrogance that I feared such an education would give him.

It's a massive regret for me that I didn't have the means to educate the other two the same way. It's by far the best money I've spent on anything in my life and while we've gone without things to fund it the results (and I don't just mean GCSEs) have been more than worthwhile.

Given economies of scale within the state system it should be able to educate bad develop individuals far better than it does. Alas, it's continuously fannied about with by central and local government and inflexible unions and has long since lost sight of what really matters. The kids.

Jealousy of private education and a political will to destroy it is completely ill-judged. Expanding access to it would be a better political goal.

I think it does depend on which State School kids kids go to as there are decent examples and I think when you have a good School with good teachers, the teaching will be better than it was 20 years ago (IMO) and they interact with the kids a lot more. Saying that, Private Schools have more resources which means paying teachers more, smaller classes, the ability to plan for a long term basis etc. it's not surprising at the end of the day that it often results in better educated kids.

My wife's a teacher in a decent states School in a deprived area of Manchester. By far the biggest problem she has had is the amount of time she has had to dedicate to change. Year on year she and her colleagues have had the carpet pulled from beneath them and had to re-write courses, prepare new classroom materials, sort out the administration of applying to different exam boards for different types of qualifications etc. It leaves less time for the kids at the end of the day. Oh and they recently changed from an Local Authority to an Academy (which in itself is a joke, how many new small businesses go to the wall early on yet all these School's are in effect being run as small businesses with less support and less economies of scale). Any Business leader will tell you that you don't improve by constantly changing (or as Alan Partridge said, they should 'evolve' not 'revolve'). There is much wrong with how State School's are run, though at least the non-educational 'expert' Gove is not involved now.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

But not at the point of paying for it

He never said it was. It's normally not necessary to add "at the point of consumption" because everyone understands what "free" means in the context. The only people who believe it's necessary to do so are Tories. And for what? So I get to give my eyes a little roll?

He never said it was. It's normally not necessary to add "at the point of consumption" because everyone understands what "free" means in the context. The only people who believe it's necessary to do so are Tories. And for what? So I get to give my eyes a little roll?

I never said he said it was.

Once I sit down with a pint I paid for a few seconds earlier does that become "free at the point of consumption"?

Like what? That people can save the state system from having to educate a child whilst the parent still pays the same tax to support state education?

That people are actually allowed to choose how they spend their money?

That those who value education for their children have an opportunity to effectively increase their own tax rate and have that money directly benefit their own children?