1914-15 season

This is the year of our best ever finish.

Quite possibly 100 years ago today we were running up Tandle Hill.

Started off on 4th Sept with a 3-1 win over MAn Utd! At Old Trafford.

Will continue this throughout the season. Remind me if I forget.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you have a beer in the ground back then?

If so, when did this stop? Anyone?

I'm going off on a tangent, but, those of you around in the 50's & 60's - what food could you get in the ground in those days? Which pubs were popular with your dads before the match?

Think it's in that 'Keeping the dream alive' book, but that story about Billy Cook (I think that was his name) refusing to leave the field after being sent off tickled me.

Typical Latics an all, only needed a point from the last couple of games to win the title but managed to :censored: it up.

Stewart W. Beckett tells us in his 'Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic: A 100 Year Journey' book:

At a meeting at Boundary Park in early September 1914, the Athletic players unanimously agreed to donate 5% of their wages to help the war relief fund, and to fall in line with any decision he Football Association may come to in regard to military training.

W. Cook - Mr A. Clegg (director) - H. Moffatt - H. Matthews - G. Kemp - D. Wilson - H.S. Bramlett (Manager) - J. Donnachie

O. Tummon - E. Pilkington - C. Roberts (Captain) - J. Hodson - A. Cashmore - J. Hanson (Trainer)

How many pints did Hodson have...?

Could you have a beer in the ground back then?

If so, when did this stop? Anyone?

I'm going off on a tangent, but, those of you around in the 50's & 60's - what food could you get in the ground in those days? Which pubs were popular with your dads before the match?

You could buy bottled beer in the 60s - not sure when that stopped but I can recall bottles being thrown on the pitch and at rival supporters in that period

Food ? Definitely Wagon Wheels, along with hot Vimto cordial and Bovril. mmmm