1914-15 season

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something at the very back of my mind is telling me I've seen that photo before and it was at White Hart Lane. Or Goodison Park. Or or somewhere else

As for the 1914-15 season - I have my suspicions that some of them may have thrown the league. There was a fair bit of dodgyness back in those days - including a game the perpetrators got found out on that season, the players fixing Man United v Liverpool.

Or maybe we just went to pieces at the end of the season. Still, I have my suspicions - I've been asking the lads through the medium of a ouija board but they're all very tight lipped about it all.

something of a shame our club's zenith came at a time when able young men should have been joining up in support of plucky little Belgium so as to be machine gunned by Fritzy

Not this week but they had a public practice match between the firsts & reserves on Wednesday August 26th 1914. Apparently it was their second such offering (courtesy of the Evening Despatch, which just landed on my doormat 100 years late. Effers). The MEN - similarly late - of the previous Saturday has Oldham Athletic:Whites 4 Blue & Whites 1

Perhaps fannying about to other towns for friendlies was frowned upon in the circumstances

Just read an article about this in When Saturday Comes. Author suggests that Southern teams & the Clergy were against the league continuing but most Northerners disagreed. Only 4 of the 40 clubs in the league came from South of the Midlands. Shame we didn't win it but there is a chance that a lot of games were thrown as most players stopped getting paid midway through the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Well what a week....

First, opening game of the season
Weds 2nd Sept and an historic win at Old Trafford 3-1, followed by a 5-3 win at SportsDirect.com Park oop sorry just teasing Boundary Park against local rivals Bolton Wanderers.

Sitting pretty top of the league with an 8-4 F-A. Though it was ordered differently in those days. Our GA was 2.

We may have had the top scorer in the league too....!

We held the Stretford End for the first half hour, before they regrouped & things got propa nawty

I strongly suspect that a hoolie from a century ago woudl give today's version a good hiding, and the world was no stranger to themL:

"What is the first recorded incident of football violence or hooliganism?

If you're talking about the modern game, then look no further than the 1880s and, in particular, Preston North End. In 1885, Preston's 5-0 friendly win over Aston Villa sent the supporters - who were described by press reports of the time as "howling roughs" - into a frenzy. The two teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and covered in spittle. One of the Preston players was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness.

The following year Preston fans notched up another first - fighting Queens Park fans in a railway station. Another milestone of sorts was reached in 1905 when several Preston supporters were tried for hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn.

Well what a week....

First, opening game of the season

Weds 2nd Sept and an historic win at Old Trafford 3-1, followed by a 5-3 win at SportsDirect.com Park oop sorry just teasing Boundary Park against local rivals Bolton Wanderers.

Sitting pretty top of the league with an 8-4 F-A. Though it was ordered differently in those days. Our GA was 2.

We may have had the top scorer in the league too....!

All 8 goals in the Bolton game came in a 37 minute spell.Attendance 12000. "Sensational Play" according to the Manchester Courier

On September 4th a letter in the Manchester Evening News asked:

Has not a man as much right to spend a very short period of his spare time at a football match on Saturday afternoons as another man and the bookies have to spend all week on the racecourse? (The Editor said YES)

a tad more controversial letter in the MEN on September 5th from 'White Feather"

Sir - Why stop at football crowds and tennis players? Why not send the recruiting sergeant around to the theatre, music hall, public houses, libraries, swimming baths, churches, Sunday Schools, and chapels? I would also suggest that when the recruiting officer walks on the football field he be armed with literature stating how many Crimean heroes ended their days in our national workhouses. Neither King, nor country, nor the political parasites who run the country will require the common soldier's services when the swag (if any) is to be divided. Until they can show me how by giving my life away or losing my limbs I am going to benefit the class to which I belong I am staying at home.

wonder what he did when conscription started?

Not really. It was set up as a radical paper. There was far more diversity of opinion in the press then than now.

must confess I knew nothing of the origin of the MEN. I know the Manchester Guardian was obviously a nest of commy liberal pinko british hating baby eating mo'fo's but not the MEN. Thought their spell of ownership was a more recent thing. Now it all makes sense

must confess I knew nothing of the origin of the MEN. I know the Manchester Guardian was obviously a nest of commy liberal pinko british hating baby eating mo'fo's but not the MEN. Thought their spell of ownership was a more recent thing. Now it all makes sense

The Guardian (and I presume the MEN was still genuinely liberal in those days before the term was stolen. It would have supported free trade, non intervention abroad, legal equality. Lefty yes but not in a pinko sense.

The Guardian (and I presume the MEN was still genuinely liberal in those days before the term was stolen. It would have supported free trade, non intervention abroad, legal equality. Lefty yes but not in a pinko sense.

pipe down you. When the war's over then the Freikorps will be round to pay you AND the Guardian a visit.

Oh, hold on. Got the wrong country. Never mind me, as you were

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I feel bad about this.

Soory Help Shiny, the next one as not good

L 4-1 A to B'Stard Rovers. 12th Sept. We were 8th with The Wednesday top.

19th Sept was a2-0 victory v Notts County, who were bottom of the league. We went 4th, but only 4 games in.

26th Sept was a fine 2-1 win at Roker Park. That took us 3rd with Man City and The Wednesday above.

The a big one; 5-2 at BP, against the mighty Wednesday , who were top of the League. We went 2nd on 10pts with only City on 11 pts above us.

10th Oct next and we drew 0-0 with WBA at the Hawthorns. We dropped back to 3rd.

17th Oct A vital game that was to affect the season. A 1-1 draw with Everton. We stayed 3rd, but Everton were 4th. 2 pts off top still

24th Oct next up. We will be entertaining Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

It will also be the day of the 2nd ever league local derby in Bradford; where Bradford City play Bradford Park Avenue.

Edited by singe