George Elekobi

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 4 or 5 years ago I was driving down Liverpool Road in Eccles, not far off junction 11 of the M60, minding my own business. It was about 1 o'clock in the morning. It was a wet and windy night with a slight westerly breeze. I was travelling east for the pedants amongst us. The highways of Eccles, usually filled with un-taxed and un-insured motor vehicles aplenty, were eerily quiet.

There was a rather posh car in front of me as I stopped at the red lights, where Liverpool Road junctions with Milton Street to be precise. I forget the make / model but, for Eccles, it looked a tad out of place. Out jumps a very well dressed, thick set African gentleman in a suit, shiny shoes, wide tie, the monty. He walks towards me. I wind my window down. He looks too well dressed and smiley faced to be a car jacker so I welcome the approach.

"I'm lost." says he "Can you tell me where Shakespeare Crescent is?"

":censored: me." replies I in my best Salfordian accent "Aren't you that George Elekobi who plays for Wolves?"

To cut a long story short....what a nice chap, spent a good 10 minutes talking to him outside what is now a Polish supermarket, situated between a tattoo shop and a brothel. After giving him directions to the very close by Shakespeare Crescent (he was visiting family) my parting shot was to suggest that perhaps one day he could drop down the leagues and play for the mighty Latics. I even showed him my Latics tattoo.

His reply was awfully polite, you never know what could happen in football etc etc. However, I got a distinct feeling that, as much as he sugar coated it, he was actually thinking "Oldham? Like :censored:."

If it turns out to be a permanent signing then I for one will be very happy. He's a very good player, an improvement to the squad no doubt. If so, welcome to Boundary Park George. Football is a funny animal.

PS. I'm hoping to be flagged down by Ronaldo next week :grin:.

About 4 or 5 years ago I was driving down Liverpool Road in Eccles, not far off junction 11 of the M60, minding my own business. It was about 1 o'clock in the morning. It was a wet and windy night with a slight westerly breeze. I was travelling east for the pedants amongst us. The highways of Eccles, usually filled with un-taxed and un-insured motor vehicles aplenty, were eerily quiet.

This post started like Alan Partridge's Peter Purves anecdote.

Eddie Joskts....

Ooooo harsh....LJ is on record that the money for Eddie was for an investment and that the club are not set up that way at The mo and that more of an impact player is best suit the needs of both the club and playershare contributors.

A lesson learnt by all and I doth my cap to any person who is willing to hold there hands up and say I made a mistake....I've learned a lesson and move on

Edited by underdog

To cut a long story short....what a nice chap, spent a good 10 minutes talking to him outside what is now a Polish supermarket, situated between a tattoo shop and a brothel. After giving him directions to the very close by Shakespeare Crescent (he was visiting family) my parting shot was to suggest that perhaps one day he could drop down the leagues and play for the mighty Latics. I even showed him my Latics tattoo.

His reply was awfully polite, you never know what could happen in football etc etc. However, I got a distinct feeling that, as much as he sugar coated it, he was actually thinking "Oldham? Like :censored:."

If it turns out to be a permanent signing then I for one will be very happy. He's a very good player, an improvement to the squad no doubt. If so, welcome to Boundary Park George. Football is a funny animal.

So if this all goes tits up.....we are blaming you break the silence, for that meeting one cold dark winters night...heheh

Edited by underdog

You're only saying that 'cos i'm from Eccles. Regionalist :wink:.

Well actually......

No I'm saying you planted the bloody seed and he probably had flash backs of you on a cold wet westerly windy night an age ago saying one day my son you can play for Oldham when he turned up heheh

Yep all your fault....heheh

But an excellent story

There was a rather posh car in front of me as I stopped at the red lights, where Liverpool Road junctions with Milton Street to be precise. I forget the make / model but, for Eccles, it looked a tad out of place. Out jumps a very well dressed, thick set African gentleman in a suit, shiny shoes, wide tie, the monty. He walks towards me. I wind my window down. He looks too well dressed and smiley faced to be a car jacker so I welcome the approach.

"I'm lost." says he "Can you tell me where Shakespeare Crescent is?"

":censored: me." replies I in my best Salfordian accent "Aren't you that George Elekobi who plays for Wolves?"

PS. I'm hoping to be flagged down by Ronaldo next week :grin:.

Elekobeh?

Well actually......

No I'm saying you planted the bloody seed and he probably had flash backs of you on a cold wet westerly windy night an age ago saying one day my son you can play for Oldham when he turned up heheh

Yep all your fault....heheh

But an excellent story

Gospel truth as well. I remember telling my brother adrianpshaw, who also frequents here, the morning after.

George Elekobi? In Eccles after dark? In fact, in Eccles at all? :censored: me.

Ooooo harsh....LJ is on record that the money for Eddie was for an investment and that the club are not set up that way at The mo and that more of an impact player is best suit the needs of both the club and playershare contributors.

A lesson learnt by all and I doth my cap to any person who is willing to hold there hands up and say I made a mistake....I've learned a lesson and move on

i agree aswell, just putting it out there haha