Tin pot cup

As others have said, unless you make the final, club's tend to lose money by being part of this competition. Given the number of games clubs play in the league, FA Cup and League Cup already, and the fact that the FA gets all arsey if reserve players are fielded in the JPT, I think it only serves to penalise the majority of clubs involved.

I hope we go out in the first round and concentrate on the stuff that matters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say it every year, this is a meaningless cup that just gives us unnecessary injuries and suspensions. Even if we won it it is like shagging a minger, yes you have got your oats but you certainly wouldn't tell anyone.

What circumstance do you come out on top of a conversation that contains the line - "..yeah but we won the Johnston's Paint Trophy in 2014." You've already lost if you get to this stage. If you want to go to Wembley go there, it has its own tube stop or you can see it from the road as you drive by but I for one have no desire to be put through the rigmarole of ticketing issues, travel expenses, complaints about lack of merchandise, wrong merchandise, not being able to buy merchandise in the as yet unfinished Sport Direct shop in the stand, not being able to buy a "Latics, 2014 Johnston's Paint Trophy finalist" scarf in the Sport Direct shop in Runcorn or any of the million and one arguments that would spill out of a run in this pointless fixture list clogging embarrassment.

I don't know why people moan about this comp.

It is Latics only realistic chance of ever getting to Wembley again.

Progressing in the comp produces that feel good factor especially around Jan when there is nothing else left but a relegation dog fight.

The whole club and supporters have been in the doldrums for far too long , we desperately need something like a Wembley visit to cheers everybody up.

The past few years have been dire except for the odd cup game.

Come on Latics , win this poxy cup !!!!!!!!!

I couldn't care less about us winning a competition that you've got to be :censored: to enter. Edited by HarryBosch

It is Latics only realistic chance of ever getting to Wembley again.

Yep, most of these players will never get a better chance to play at Wembley in their careers and a lot of our fans have never seen Oldham play there. I'm sure that Lee Johnson would love nothing more than to walk the team out in the JPT final.

Given the number of games clubs play in the league, FA Cup and League Cup already.

I hope we go out in the first round and concentrate on the stuff that matters.

We've played one league cup game and we're out of that. I know it has been kind to us in the last few years, but the FA Cup offers no guarantee of progression, we could easily go out in the opening round. Same could be said of the JPT, but the benefit is that most teams don't seem to take it too seriously in the first few rounds. It's too early to say how the season will turn out for us, but if we're struggling on confidence a possible Wembley appearance will help massively. Winning breeds winning and it's a confidence booster for everyone, the club, the fans, the players and the manager. Everyone.

JPT is only an extra 6 or 7 games, depending on whether we get a bye in the first round or not.

I say it every year, this is a meaningless cup that just gives us unnecessary injuries and suspensions. Even if we won it it is like shagging a minger, yes you have got your oats but you certainly wouldn't tell anyone.

What circumstance do you come out on top of a conversation that contains the line - "..yeah but we won the Johnston's Paint Trophy in 2014." You've already lost if you get to this stage. If you want to go to Wembley go there, it has its own tube stop or you can see it from the road as you drive by but I for one have no desire to be put through the rigmarole of ticketing issues, travel expenses, complaints about lack of merchandise, wrong merchandise, not being able to buy merchandise in the as yet unfinished Sport Direct shop in the stand, not being able to buy a "Latics, 2014 Johnston's Paint Trophy finalist" scarf in the Sport Direct shop in Runcorn or any of the million and one arguments that would spill out of a run in this pointless fixture list clogging embarrassment.

Other than seeing England play, the only other team I'd want to watch at Wembley is Latics. Otherwise there is no point in going. Nothing compares to seeing your own team walk out at Wembley....nothing, regardless of the competition. Play offs...maybe, but as above it is too early in the season to know where we will be in the league come May.

Last time I checked, football is about winning trophies, something we haven't done for a while. I'd love nothing more than to see the JPT on display at Latics.

Edited by 3 Lions

What circumstance do you come out on top of a conversation that contains the line - "..yeah but we won the Johnston's Paint Trophy in 2014."

A Chesterfield fan could say it to us. We could of course argue that on average league performance, we are the better team over the last few years (though we haven't been promoted nor have visited Wembley recently).

Winning a competition should always lead to something else.

If winning this got you, eg, a bye to the third round of the FA Cup it would be worth winning.

Or entry into a Europe wide modern day version of the Anglo Italian cup.

The problem there is no other country has a daft competition like this as far as I'm aware

If winning this got you, eg, a bye to the third round of the FA Cup it would be worth winning.

The problem there is no other country has a daft competition like this as far as I'm aware

I do agree that the winners should get a bye to Round 3.

A Chesterfield fan could say it to us. We could of course argue that on average league performance, we are the better team over the last few years (though we haven't been promoted nor have visited Wembley recently).

And if a Chesterfield fan said it to me I would laugh in his face and then show him my ten meter swimming badge that I got when I was 5, both mean about the same.

I'd be surprised if there isn't.

And if a Chesterfield fan said it to me I would laugh in his face and then show him my ten meter swimming badge that I got when I was 5, both mean about the same.

Forget the argument regarding the JPT, do you always carry your ten metre swimming badge about with you?

I got copies made so I could sew one on to every new garment I purchase.

I used to do that with my 25 metre badge but I found it laborious, It was far easier to get it tattooed on my forehead, now I strut the streets of Chesterfield in a Bovesque stylee, and nobody aint not dissing me, knowwhatamean? Street.

What if they had a League One cup and a League Two Cup instead?

With the winner to get a five or ten point head start the following season (if they've not been promoted. The runner up could get the points instead if the winners were also promoted).

I'd pay full whack to watch us in a competition where that was on offer. Teams would arguably take it more seriously than the FA or League Cup.