One up front

I've pondering on the various ideas for how to use our best footballing players. For me this means Winchester, Forte and Philliskirk (no matter how he has struggled thrown on here and there). How's about TP as the one up front as passing to feet? Could have Forte, Winchester and JCH behind/running past him. Our two best passers could link together, it would give us great options to shoot from outside the box. Forte could stretch the defence or cut in. JCH could attack headers from the other side or cut in and shoot or deliver a mean cross from the right. Jones and someone else behind them and Hey Presto! A new theory

winchester is a passing midfielder not someone who's going to run past the striker and be furthest man forward and philiskirk isnt a striker. we have next to no attack so 4-5-1 and win 1-0 is our best option.

I don't see Winchester bombing past the striker often, but feeding Forte and JCH after a lay off from DANNY I can. I'd also like him to be in place to have a pop from 20 yards a few times each game.

winchester is a passing midfielder not someone who's going to run past the striker and be furthest man forward and philiskirk isnt a striker. we have next to no attack so 4-5-1 and win 1-0 is our best option.

LJ has said several times that Philliskirk is the best finisher at the club...

Unfortunately he hasn't thought on.....

Philliskirk is very busy without creating much in that attacking midfield role, whether the players ahead aren't making the runs for him or he prefers other positions, he tends to score more than he assists.

I don't like seeing one of our better players on the ball sitting on the bench, so why doesn't he play up front? Can't be worse than what our strikers are currently offering and he's more likely to put away chances than miss. In Jones, Forte and Winchester we have midfielders that can create. Although, I don't think this 4-1-4-1 formation is that bad. It's been let down by individual and collective dross. If these players are good enough to find some form it will serve us well, like the first half an hour v Orient.

A lone striker has to run and harry defenders all the game and generally make a nuisance of himself. When he gets the ball he has to keep it and bring others in to play. Very few, if any, players in L1 can do this. It doesn't work at our level as I've said many times. The lone strikers aren't good enough and nor are the midfield players behind him.

A lone striker has to run and harry defenders all the game and generally make a nuisance of himself. When he gets the ball he has to keep it and bring others in to play. Very few, if any, players in L1 can do this. It doesn't work at our level as I've said many times. The lone strikers aren't good enough and nor are the midfield players behind him.

From what I've seen so far, we have a striker like that on our bench - Gros.

Lets be honest you should never and I mean never play 1 up top at home in the League.....

How many will Chelsea play up front this weekend?

- It depends on your players. If you have fabregas, hazard, schurlle (sp) supporting the striker, you are fine.

If you have Liam Kelly, probably best not to.

Edited by pukka

How many will Chelsea play up front this weekend?

- It depends on your players. If you have fabregas, hazard, schurlle (sp) supporting the striker, you are fine.

If you have Liam Kelly, probably best not to.

This Mr Pukka,

You need the right players to play it.

the 4-2-3-1 works a treat if you're Premiership Southampton last season. The Chelsea from Monday night of 4-1-3-1-1 works for them. But those systems involve players like Matic and Schederlein (spl) doing the deep lying midfielder role, and players like Lallana, Hazard, Fabregas, Oscar, Jay Rodrigues etc breaking forward to support players like Lambert or Diego Costa.

We have Liam Kelly, and JCH.

It's poles apart.

I think this formation is too conservative, too cautious and too narrow. a standard 4-4-2 will work IMO with who we've got, if it's executed properly, last night's version of it has some serious flaws; and we conceded their goal due to the narrow and negative nature of it. Same for 2 of the Middlesbrough goals, and 2 of the 3 Orient goals too.

In my opinion lower league football managers dont help themselves by watching the highest level and trying to copy it. Trying to copy it with players who are are not as comfortable on the ball.

Players who release it far too early, or wont bring it forward. Players who wont make the run 50% of the time.

We should go to what the players know, simple 442. Whether it is in vogue or not. The argument is "you get over run in midfield". When the ball is being hit long into a corner, but the midfield are so far from the striker that argument is redundant for me.

This division has seen plenty of teams go up in the last 17 years. Most of which applied the formula... (there were some exceptions) but:

Solid Keeper

Organised defence.

Strong CB's who can head it and dont mind a scrap.

Full Backs who get forward, but mainly strong defensively.

Box to box Central midielders. Win tackles, win headers, chip in with a few goals, but they are box to box players. Work as a pair.

Pace out wide, 1 of the wingers gets 7+ goals

Strikers 1 that gets 20+, another who gets 12+ and a third big man.

Good set piece takers

In my opinion lower league football managers dont help themselves by watching the highest level and trying to copy it. Trying to copy it with players who are are not as comfortable on the ball.

Players who release it far too early, or wont bring it forward. Players who wont make the run 50% of the time.

We should go to what the players know, simple 442. Whether it is in vogue or not. The argument is "you get over run in midfield". When the ball is being hit long into a corner, but the midfield are so far from the striker that argument is redundant for me.

This division has seen plenty of teams go up in the last 17 years. Most of which applied the formula... (there were some exceptions) but:

Solid Keeper

Organised defence.

Strong CB's who can head it and dont mind a scrap.

Full Backs who get forward, but mainly strong defensively.

Box to box Central midielders. Win tackles, win headers, chip in with a few goals, but they are box to box players. Work as a pair.

Pace out wide, 1 of the wingers gets 7+ goals

Strikers 1 that gets 20+, another who gets 12+ and a third big man.

Good set piece takers

...and you what Pukka?

The ironic thing is, one of the best examples of that 4-4-2 formula, with exactly the make up you describe, was Bristol City's promotion side under Gary Johnson.

Lee Johnson played central midfield in it.

You'd think he's remember wouldnt you?

Hate this one up front lark , 3 up for me.

Should be playing 4-3-3 at home and pushing them back so they are reliant on break aways.
It is us that are reliant on break aways and our form at home over the past 3 -4 years is woeful.

Last night it was very noticeable that when PV midfield players got the ball at the halfway line they had at least 3 or 4 players in front of them to play to.

When our mid players get the ball their is usually one or 2 if were lucky further up the field and the other 8 behind him.

All very predictable and gives the opposition time to organise defensively.

No wonder our crowds are 3000 ish at home now because entertainment value is poor.

Can't understand why we just don't go for it at home - win at least 50% of your home games like that and provide entertainment.

What we serve up at home is mainly on the dire side now and after 50 years my patience is virtually worn out watching this dross.

The main problem with Clarke-Harris is that his brain isn't quick enough to react to what's happening on the field.

There were a few incidents last night where he didn't look switched on and when the ball came to him he didn't have a bloody clue what to do with it.

From what i've seen so far, we cannot rely on him to be our main striker this season. A new one in soon as possible for me.

JCH. Potential. Or just :censored:?

Could be wrong as I've not looked it up, but hasn't he scored a lot more away than at home? Perhaps the tactics we play, or more likely those of the opposition, at home don't suit him like they do away.

Even if that isn't the case, from what the concensus appears to be, he's underperforming in people's opinions because they're just too expectant and impatient of a 19 year old lad being the main man playing the most difficult position on the field. He's obviously got potential, he's done some good things so far this season and the last for us to form overexpectancy, and he's obviously not ready to be that lone striker for a 46 game season.