Latics 1-1 Vale: Post match reaction thread

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see two up from front, not much creativity from Kelly or Jones (although he played well) from open play though.

Mills better 2nd half, he needs to be encouraged to run with the ball more, as in the second half.

The effort was there, but I wonder if now fans would prefer JCH or sign a goal poacher ?

We don't have money for a poacher and we aren't creating the sort of chances they would benefit from anyway from what I saw against Orient. We have Philliskirk, and Turner who are decent in front of goal albeit a little unproven. We should persevere for now.

Deeply depressed early on at a possible six nil thrashing but Port Vale took what they had and sat back. With the exception of Mills we gradually improved and had the chances to win the game. Wilson and Elokobi had much better games and each was covering their full backs mistakes. Once Locky is fit we will look much better with Elokobi at left back and either B Wilson or Kusunga at right. Rachubka grew in confidence and made a couple of saves and dealt well with some poor back passing. Jones is a good player and Kelly has a good player in him waiting to get out. Mid table by Christmas and pushing for a playoff place in April.

Still complaining about the atmosphere. Ok. The chants were aimed at the stewards for picking on the group for doing absolute cock all. Trying to get them to sit down every 2 mins. Second half they laid off.

The second half was good, and supporting the team. However some of the chants in the last 15 minutes of the first half were truly cringe worthy.

The second half was good, and supporting the team. However some of the chants in the last 15 minutes of the first half were truly cringe worthy.

Think the Athleticos need to refocus because it appears they are to occupied with the stewards instead of back the team for the 90 minutes like they said they would. A small group of supporters standing is and always has been a easy target to deal with for the stewards and until the law states you can stand again its something supporters will have to live with.

Think the Athleticos need to refocus because it appears they are to occupied with the stewards instead of back the team for the 90 minutes like they said they would. A small group of supporters standing is and always has been a easy target to deal with for the stewards and until the law states you can stand again its something supporters will have to live with.

There's definitely room for compromise between the fans and the club to allow some sort of standing section.

However, chants of :censored: stewards and this club is a :censored:ing joke isn't going to make that happen and only further drives the club away from wanting the change to occur.

A few of the songs wernt all from the group, however they wernt directed at the stewards, more the club to make a decision for us, as many of us have been asking the club through the summer to give us a section that works for everyone and been ignored. we got asked to create an atmosphere and in the second half we proved that we arnt causing any trouble and that we stuck to our intentions of just creating an atmosphere, we tried to be very considerate of all supporters who may not want the drum next to them or people stood infront of them. We have just started the group from crawley last season and its still a working progress, nothing happens over night and we hope you can all see what were trying to create, were not all kids and all we want to do is to encourage all supporters who like to sing to be able to enjoy the match even if the football isnt the best

We understand they have a job to do, and we made a deal when it dies out or weve been stood up for 10 mins then we sit down for a bit and saturday we did that all match, however tonight in the first half we were being bother every 2 mins, and getting told to sit down for corners and attacks when we wanted to start singing to hype the players up

Edited by FLAGMAN

There are many all seater grounds in the country who have the same rules, however many of them allow a section of supporters to stand during the game, as cardiff did a review of it, and deemed it safe, however its more the fact the group has many young members that they seem to target us, than when boro came and they never attempted to get them to sit, if its a rule then it should be applied to all supporters thats all were saying, would the rules change if the group had 50 adults?

You are not allowed to stand in a seated stadium, what do you want the club to do?

This is a myth nobody has been prosecuted for standing and sitting was just a recommendation in fact the laws on all seater stadium only cover the top two divisions, many clubs (including our own) have joined a campaign to reintroduce safe standing areas, many sports including both codes of rugby allow standing in seated areas as well as consumption of alcohol in the stands so there isnt an issue with safety, many clubs have come to a compromise and allowed fans one area of a ground stand generally known as singing sections, hopefully something can be sorted out as there is no doubt the atmosphere helps the team and spurs them on.

many clubs have come to a compromise and allowed fans one area of a ground stand generally known as singing sections,

My twopenneth, you're going to have to meet the club more than half way if you want them to go down this route.

There is no way that you are going to get to stand where you currently are in the RRE without the attention of the stewards. Having a block of fans standing, drumming and singing right next to the away fans is never going to fly, It looks and sounds antagonistic due to the proximity of the block you stand in to the away fans.

The tit for tat "They're standing and you're doing nothing to them..... why can't we stand...." is pretty childish when all said and done. In 90 minutes they are gone, the stewards job with away fans is just to shepherd them into conformity whilst they are here for the once a season visit and then get them the hell out of there at the end of the game. With you lot, they get you 20+ times a season, every game becomes a battle that they will ultimately win. The club can close the stand, withdraw season tickets or bar entry. To you it is killing an atmosphere, to the club it is stopping them from being put under the spotlight of being unable to control their crowd.

The club have already come out in support of standing, that's a pretty big leap for the club to make and to be frank, you're not helping them with the persistent standing and moaning at the stewards. All you're doing is increasing the stewarding attention on yourselves and potentially increasing policing costs on the club.

I support what you are trying to do but you aren't helping yourselves at the moment by picking a battle you can't win, I think you need to go back to the drawing board and find the line of least resistance to get to where you want to be which is stood up somewhere in the ground, singing, drumming and getting behind the team.

It may be that you need to move to the far right hand side of the RRE as you look at the pitch - this will piss some people who are already there off, same as if you switch to the Chaddy but you can't stay where you are. As I said, you need to meet the club more than halfway, they hold all the cards and you hold none. If the Athleticos stopped going tomorrow there would be no impact on Latics. A few off the attendance but rid of a stewarding headache. The club and team coped before you and will cope after you.

The long term aim always defeats the short term aim and your long term aim is being stopped by short termism. The more you push the short term "we are standing now" then the further your long term aim is being pushed back.

Jones is the spit of Mark Allott in his mannerisms.

Kelly made a couple of nice passes, suggesting he's not completely useless.

We look a threat (when the delivery is good) from set pieces.

Stewards going round making people take their feet off chairs, a first for me at a football match.

Has anybody else noticed the imaginary player Connor Brown takes on whenever he brings the ball out of defence with space in front of him?

I have noticed the imaginary player Mills passes to stood over the touchline.

Edited by BP1960

One thing i have noticed is that everytime any player gets the ball - the first thing they seem to look for is a pass backwards or square - its so frustrating when we are in the oppo half and its like the brakes being put on and back we go! Both full backs are guilty of it.

My twopenneth, you're going to have to meet the club more than half way if you want them to go down this route.

There is no way that you are going to get to stand where you currently are in the RRE without the attention of the stewards. Having a block of fans standing, drumming and singing right next to the away fans is never going to fly, It looks and sounds antagonistic due to the proximity of the block you stand in to the away fans.

The tit for tat "They're standing and you're doing nothing to them..... why can't we stand...." is pretty childish when all said and done. In 90 minutes they are gone, the stewards job with away fans is just to shepherd them into conformity whilst they are here for the once a season visit and then get them the hell out of there at the end of the game. With you lot, they get you 20+ times a season, every game becomes a battle that they will ultimately win. The club can close the stand, withdraw season tickets or bar entry. To you it is killing an atmosphere, to the club it is stopping them from being put under the spotlight of being unable to control their crowd.

The club have already come out in support of standing, that's a pretty big leap for the club to make and to be frank, you're not helping them with the persistent standing and moaning at the stewards. All you're doing is increasing the stewarding attention on yourselves and potentially increasing policing costs on the club.

I support what you are trying to do but you aren't helping yourselves at the moment by picking a battle you can't win, I think you need to go back to the drawing board and find the line of least resistance to get to where you want to be which is stood up somewhere in the ground, singing, drumming and getting behind the team.

It may be that you need to move to the far right hand side of the RRE as you look at the pitch - this will piss some people who are already there off, same as if you switch to the Chaddy but you can't stay where you are. As I said, you need to meet the club more than halfway, they hold all the cards and you hold none. If the Athleticos stopped going tomorrow there would be no impact on Latics. A few off the attendance but rid of a stewarding headache. The club and team coped before you and will cope after you.

The long term aim always defeats the short term aim and your long term aim is being stopped by short termism. The more you push the short term "we are standing now" then the further your long term aim is being pushed back.

Boooo ban atmosphere. Bore off

Last night was my first game this season and I didn't do any friendlies. I'm trying to not be too negative but I found myself absolubtly bored :censored:less. Too many hopeful punts down the line, not enough shots on goal and nobody busting a gut to get on the end of crosses. Not great crosses at that , the one cross that did stand out was from Winchester in the first half. To me it seems it doesn't matter which personnel we have in centre mid as it seems they are instructed to play safety first and not take any risks, although jones did improve second half, he still seems like he is being stifled. And then we have captain anonymous , I can buy he has not played much and is rusty but is he vocal enough to be a leader ? I don't think he is. I sacrificed work and money to watch last nite and In my opinion it was simply not entertaining and unless we have more players like forte , who are willing to run at defenders and have a crack I will not be rushing back.