FAO Barry. Next LJ Meeting With the Fans

I'd consider the meetings we've had in the past with yourself Barry and LJ as reasonable successes. It was nice to get an insight from the managers perspective and all-in-all I thought they answered a few queries we fans had at the time.

Given the fairly poor start and kneejerk reactions from fans - even fans I'd consider patient and upbeat - this season, now would probably be a good time to arrange another meeting with the manager.

I believe there is something on the cards for September/October time subject to playing schedules etc.

The latest I heard was a joint trust/playershare evening at Milan in Lees.

However our latest results might dictate a change to more of a question and answer session like at the shaw play house and Royton band club.

TBA, you might want to put this on the official trust oldham site, or Facebook page or tweet the trust so the message gets to the board thanks

Personally I think that will do more harm than good. The intention is right, but emotions are running high. I can see it turning into a slanging match.

I have never been a Johnson fan to be honest. I think he has far too many grand ideas. Most of which don't translate. Half the time he can't see the wood for the trees.

Opinions4you hits the nail on the head for me on another thread:

"Johnson's like the graduate recruit manager in a workplace full of experienced peers who've been there years, seen it, done it. He bounds in full of qualifications, enthusiasm and ideas which while laudable won't always work when applied to real people in a real world environment".

I am not saying I want him out, but I want to see some improvement from him. As far as I can see we are regressing. Not just in terms of recruitment, but tactically and in terms of motivation.

Do you disagree?

There is plenty of time for both issues to be addressed, personally I don't see what is wrong with him taking 1 hour of his time after training to listen to and answer some of the fans questions. As for the on the pitch stuff, I'm sure he is trying his utmost to get it right. On Saturday things were definitely more promising, a few tweaks to his starting line up could yield some decent results.

There is plenty of time for both issues to be addressed, personally I don't see what is wrong with him taking 1 hour of his time after training to listen to and answer some of the fans questions. As for the on the pitch stuff, I'm sure he is trying his utmost to get it right. On Saturday things were definitely more promising, a few tweaks to his starting line up could yield some decent results.

It all seems a bit pointless to me.

As has been said, he's a great talker and will be mainly preaching to the converted anyway (of which I'd be one if I went) and if anyone does go along for a barney he'll placate them quickly enough too the silver tongued devil.

What's the point?

As others have said, these meets are a chance to get 1 on 1 with LJ and find out some bits of info that up until then, hadnt been in the public domain.

I've been to one - the 1st one with LJ - and it was; at the time, a fantastic opportunity to really grill the new manager and get to know a lot more about him as 'management material'.

He talks very well. He's charismatic. He engages with everyone there. He answered all the questions ask of him honestly (or he did at that one i went too). He ultimately leaves you feeling we can not only compete but we can achieve something; you leave feeling so positive.

But ultimately, its been just that: talk.

He hasnt backed up very much of anything he's said at these meets with performances or results on the pitch.

At this time, i don't think its worth it. I can see it going 2 ways: a slanging match ensuing from unhappy fans asking genuine questions that erk and rile the manager OR: LJ once again talking an amazing game, and the fans leaving feeling like he's in control and the corner will turn.

And either way, as Lee Sinnott says, very little will change as a result and you can almost see the script: a 0 - 2 loss at BP to A Gillingham or a Walsall will back it up...

Edited by slystallone

I am beginning to see green shoots of Dickov Mk2.

One good run

Talsk the talk.

The performances on the pitch getting steadily worse.

The results on the pitch getting steadily worse

It was always the question mark in my mind. It all sounded great. Is it just talk?

Now I'm a million miles off calling for his head. We moved up a place last season, so it's improvement, albeit tiny. As stated eloquently above the season is only four games old and none of the results were entirely unexpected.

I think Johnson struggled in the aftermath of the Montaño situation. I think he got unlucky with Adam Rooney getting his dispute with Swindon resolved so soon after he'd left us - if that had happened in November we might have had a different player.

Johnson does come across as having footballing intelligence and knowledge and it's clear that he understands what his fast-track FA coaching badges have taught him. He's happy enough to interact with the fans. As a player the teams he was with won multiple promotions. I don't think we should underestimate this. He's been there and done it at this level.

But it's entirely his team now. It's up to him to get them to gel. To get the players to understand what he wants them to deliver. I'm not sure half of them quite get it at the moment. I know I don't.

But I'm not prepared to write off the players or the manager after four games. There's only the striker who I'd bin off (and hopefully he will return better for it). The rest of them just need organising. Manager's job. Come on Lee, top half this season please.

Edited by opinions4u

From the interviews I've ever seen from him he isn't engaging. I appreciate I haven't been to the fans forums, but we seem to lack motvation on the field. We are very seldom "fired up". Is he inspiring enough?

I've always found the "he is a good talker" posts quite odd and surprising. Dickov I always thought was more engaging, Johnson - I've never got that impression.