Excuses - Sounding more like PD everyday

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall LJ saying that this seasons squad was better than last season's, but today he's saying that it would be interesting to see how last season's squad faired this season. I agree with many of you who say he talks too much. Less talk, fix the team and please only sign players who are fit!

What, Johnson says has no relevance to where we are in the League. He would probably be the first manager in history if he came out and said ‘I am out of my depth and don’t have a clue’.

A rooky manager looking for his first job is hardly likely to say ‘It can’t be done, I will need more than that’ when discussing his budget. He was hired, in my view, on his enthusiasm, certificates, pre-interview research on the transfer market and his presentation at that interview.

We may not know the playing budget but we do know we have one of the lower average, fan based attendances and one of the lowest prices structures in L1. Just about exactly in keeping with our league position.

Get rid of Johnson now, January, next summer or whenever and we still have the same problem – taking a punt on a rooky or occupant of the magic roundabout who will talk the same talk using different words.

I think LJ shows a genuine enthusiasm for the job and the club but he has to learn to throw the text book away at times. But one thing is for certain, money or a change of manager, at any level, is no guarantee of success and average gates of 15,000+ continues to be a useless tool in avoiding the drop into League1, time, after time, after time.

I still feel LJ will come good and I have no problem giving him longer but Corney, quite rightly, will be the judge.

^ This, in every single way for me. We're constantly chopping and changing players. There isn't a team in the four professional divisions that finds success by doing that. I felt pretty good at the end of last season that we'd found that 'hard to beat' formula and, with just a couple of good additions in the right areas we'd at last start seeing a settled team. Yet we've seen the same revolving door and a new ten players coming in.

Totally agree with this

Did they miss a penalty in that game?

Hughes wasnt it ?

Think LJ is in an impossible position its not his shout reducing the playing budget year on year he has to feed us excuses because thats all he has, at the end of last season we had a strong spine with Rachubka Lockwood Wilson Wes and Smith, with that gone plus the ability of Harkins to bring others into play we are way short of last year, my biggest problem with our current starting 11 is the lack of leaders and talkers in the team, not one player other than Winchester has stepped up this season and the new players have been largely disappointing, there was some sign of improvement at Deepdale in the second half I just hope we can carry that through to Saturday.

saying repeatedly in the close season he wanted a smaller squad with more quality. . . Mmmm ok Lee.

he said he was happy with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall LJ saying that this seasons squad was better than last season's, but today he's saying that it would be interesting to see how last season's squad faired this season.

Lip service. Every time. Modern football management is [sadly] as much about PR as it is about tactics on the pitch. If he says what it really is (i.e. crowds fallen so low, you're reaping what you've sown) then the same muppets having a go at him here are going postal at him for that. The bottom line is year on year the playing budget gets cut accordingly. Until we have more investment (as a poster further up correctly pointed out) we'll always be seeing a jigsaw with tons of pieces missing being taken apart season after season.

Continuity is absolutely essential for us to thrive. It seems tons are really missing this pertinant point.

I think most of us are fickle(I know I am) a couple of wins an things will be rosy again.

However, certain things are nagging at me.

Why complain about his budget? When that same :censored: budget has seen 26 pros, an likes of Paddy Kenny maybe coming in- yet no striker? No one can tell me he's got a relativly :censored: budget. He hasn't.

For the millionth time. . . . Corney has always backed his mangers. If I was Corney I would be so pissed off. Im doing what I can afford to give Johnson what he needs- only to hear in the press- I' need more faces'- 'if only people knew what willie Gros on.' Your the manager! It's your budget!!!!

Why does he pick on the same young players in defeat? Never does it to the senior pros.

Why is Winchester always his first sub? When he's been blatantly our best plsyer ?

Why does he keep playing people out of position?

I honestly still believe he's got something about him, but without question he over compicates things, an in many ways seems his own worst enemy.

Corney gave us the impression that our budget was low, but when interviewed on the radio he said it was not as low as the fans thought and that it was around the middle of all clubs in L1. That was when Dickov was here and we have had cuts since then so I suspect we are in the bottom 8. Corney recently said that income from the new stand would propel us into the top group of clubs budgets. LJ says today that the new stand would give him an extra £700,000 in his budget. I don't think that would propel us much above half way again.

I get that. Buts lets not forget; wes, rooney, schmeltz, rodgers, an macdonald where his choice to leave. If he wanted he could of had far more 'continuity' than he had. Some is enforced, some is his choice!

Lip service. Every time. Modern football management is [sadly] as much about PR as it is about tactics on the pitch. If he says what it really is (i.e. crowds fallen so low, you're reaping what you've sown) then the same muppets having a go at him here are going postal at him for that. The bottom line is year on year the playing budget gets cut accordingly. Until we have more investment (as a poster further up correctly pointed out) we'll always be seeing a jigsaw with tons of pieces missing being taken apart season after season.

Continuity is absolutely essential for us to thrive. It seems tons are really missing this pertinant point.

I get that. Buts lets not forget; wes, rooney, schmeltz, rodgers, an macdonald where his choice to leave. If he wanted he could of had far more 'continuity' than he had. Some is enforced, some is his choice!

Yep, he's gotten a few wrong. But you're bound to when finances dictate you need to take a punt on one or two. I felt he was very unlucky with Charlie Mac. Had a bad run of injuries and, with a full season I'm sure would have bagged 10-15+ and been a bit of a crowd hit. C'est la vie.

I hate to hark back to nostalgic times of yore but even Big Joe got a couple dreadfully wrong. (Neil McDonald, John Keeley, Currie etc.)

Yep, he's gotten a few wrong. But you're bound to when finances dictate you need to take a punt on one or two. I felt he was very unlucky with Charlie Mac. Had a bad run of injuries and, with a full season I'm sure would have bagged 10-15+ and been a bit of a crowd hit. C'est la vie.

I hate to hark back to nostalgic times of yore but even Big Joe got a couple dreadfully wrong. (Neil McDonald, John Keeley, Currie etc.)

Think Joe bought Currie and Keeley have they played blinders against us but no idea why he thought Neil McDonald would be a good signing for about half a million !!

There's a long way to go in a lot of respects.

Corney won't sack Johnson unless things go really badly wrong this season, nor should he.

We still have time to bring in the striker we need and if you look at recent seasons Corney has backed whoever's in charge to bring in the player needed.

It usually takes longer than 5 games for any team to perform at it's best.

I'm happy that JCH has been given the chance to lead the line (although I'd have preferred it to be in a front 2) because we now know for certain that he isn't ready yet and can act accordingly. Better than bringing someone else in early who flops and then be relying on JCH to be our saviour.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh