Excuses - Sounding more like PD everyday

Play 4-4-2 with 11 players in natural roles and we'd easily be mid table....

Football is a simple game and I have a feeling Johnson tries to over-tinker with every aspect. When he came in, we played some of the best football in years (Preston last season etc) and we were unlucky to not have picked up so many more points in the first 6-8 weeks. At that point, we just needed to have faith and keep doing what we were doing but we didn't and we haven't returned to that style ever since.

I think we need to go back to simple football with simple tactics.....in general, the players we have (although not world beaters) should be good enough to perform better than they do. The signings in general, for me, have all been decent enough and like has been said, we have been unlucky with some. Being unlucky with signings happens to every team in every league so thats something we just need to grin and bear.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said LJ out I said he is sounding like dickov.

It's his team, his signings and now his excuses!

Win football matches, plus lack of investment is not an excuse because he said he was happy with it.

You moan more than my other half! Getting abit embarrassing. You really have to much time on your hands to complain about everything. The budget we have as a club until the new stand is up and running, is low we know that so why is expectancy of this season so high? It shouldn't be, we finished our highest last season for years yet still we have moaners. Face the fact we haven't got millions to spend. your failed attempt to un cover facts about the club turned out to be wrong last season, stop with the constant hate I'm bored of it and I'm sure a lot of the others are too!

You moan more than my other half! Getting abit embarrassing. You really have to much time on your hands to complain about everything. The budget we have as a club until the new stand is up and running, is low we know that so why is expectancy of this season so high? It shouldn't be, we finished our highest last season for years yet still we have moaners. Face the fact we haven't got millions to spend. your failed attempt to un cover facts about the club turned out to be wrong last season, stop with the constant hate I'm bored of it and I'm sure a lot of the others are too!

Im pissed off because our manager said all preseason about a smaller squad with better quality now he is blaming the fans for picking out people to hate, needs more faces when he already has the same size squad and the players he has brought in a no better if not worse than last season.

Prime example, we have Brown and Kasunga to play rightback even Winchester if desperate but he brings in Brian Wilson, no better than we already have and wasted money that could have gone on a Striker. Total waste of money!

Where has the attacking football gone, that's why the gates are down, we play crap football that is boring to watch!

You just can't win with Oldham supporters. 'It's crap having three stands' we build one then 'It's effecting the playing budget'

It's a joke, what is he supposed to do when asked questions like what BBC Sport or the Chron ask him. If he turns round and says 'no comment' or refuses to do an interview (god forbid) he'd get lambasted on here and by Oldham supporters saying that he isn't offering any sort of explanation as to what has gone wrong with the results in the first four games.

He would be the first manager in history to turn around and say that he hasn't got a clue and being a manager myself you have to have a thick skin and believe in yourself every step of the way because I have no doubt when Oldham lose games the first person he will blame is himself, he'll question himself and see what he can do to change it (hence chopping and changing when it comes to picking squads for the next game)

He has to offer explanations and the usual 'biding time' and 'time to settle' along with 'being unlucky' are the general quotes a lot if not all managers use. If LJ comes out slating the fans and slating the board that's a different matter but he hasn't so I don't see what you are getting at him for.

LJ saying this squad is 'better' than last years squad. Again what is he supposed to say? 'My squad last year was so much better, if only I had of kept them, we might have been in with a playoff shout' How would present Oldham players react to this? They wouldn't want to play for him and motivation and determination would be as low as ever.

As for Corney, he saved Oldham when Oldham were nearly bust. With the right or wrong intentions at the start he came in with the other two undoubtedly to make money and with an effective business plan that would suit all three of them. This plan went horrendously wrong with rejection of plans by the council and knocking the stand down too soon etc so the other two lft. If corney had no ounce of affinity towards Latics he would have gone too leaving us needing a buyer once again. Corney instead has decided to stick it out and didn't want to sell to Koukash who had every intention of putting Salford Rugby first before Oldham Athletic. He hasn't left and is trying his best to run a league one club on let's face it league two attendances (due to the proximity of the big clubs in Manchester and due to the town not being wealthy or bothered about the football club etc)

Give it time, you all slate Johnson for chopping and changing his squad week in week out yet some of you are debating whether to chop and change our manager once again. It would only be the same for the next manager and the manager after that so how about give the squad a lift, give everybody else at the club a lift and support the team until such time as there isn't one (hopefully never)

KTF

Edited by unsworthlatic

Im pissed off because our manager said all preseason about a smaller squad with better quality now he is blaming the fans for picking out people to hate, needs more faces when he already has the same size squad and the players he has brought in a no better if not worse than last season.

Prime example, we have Brown and Kasunga to play rightback even Winchester if desperate but he brings in Brian Wilson, no better than we already have and wasted money that could have gone on a Striker. Total waste of money!

Where has the attacking football gone, that's why the gates are down, we play crap football that is boring to watch!

Correct...

Wrong...

Poor example for starters, Brown is not good enough and needs replacing. Kasunga has been injured or suspended most of his time here. Winchester can play right back but when was the last time he did? He can't complete 90 mins as it is. Have you seen enough of Wilson to judge his ability? No you haven't....

If the fans are moaning and bitching and hateing individual players then he is right to defend them isn't he?

Oldhams fans especially on this board talk so much :censored:e and give players grief right away if results are not fantastic but their little feelings get hurt when something is said in response. Jesus its not like fans are turning after 20 games. Its only 4 games.

The football hasn't been as good since around Preston last season but we also didn't pick up point playing that way did we? We need to find a happy medium and I think that's what he nis trying to do

How can you tell after only 4 games if the squad is not as good as last season by the way? If we are bottom 4 at Xmas your argument may have some merit but after 4 matches its :censored: IMO

Edited by palmer1

You just can't win with Oldham supporters. 'It's crap having three stands' we build one then 'It's effecting the playing budget'

It's a joke, what is he supposed to do when asked questions like what BBC Sport or the Chron ask him. If he turns round and says 'no comment' or refuses to do an interview (god forbid) he'd get lambasted on here and by Oldham supporters saying that he isn't offering any sort of explanation as to what has gone wrong with the results in the first four games.

He would be the first manager in history to turn around and say that he hasn't got a clue and being a manager myself you have to have a thick skin and believe in yourself every step of the way because I have no doubt when Oldham lose games the first person he will blame is himself, he'll question himself and see what he can do to change it (hence chopping and changing when it comes to picking squads for the next game)

He has to offer explanations and the usual 'biding time' and 'time to settle' along with 'being unlucky' are the general quotes a lot if not all managers use. If LJ comes out slating the fans and slating the board that's a different matter but he hasn't so I don't see what you are getting at him for.

LJ saying this squad is 'better' than last years squad. Again what is he supposed to say? 'My squad last year was so much better, if only I had of kept them, we might have been in with a playoff shout' How would present Oldham players react to this? They wouldn't want to play for him and motivation and determination would be as low as ever.

As for Corney, he saved Oldham when Oldham were nearly bust. With the right or wrong intentions at the start he came in with the other two undoubtedly to make money and with an effective business plan that would suit all three of them. This plan went horrendously wrong with rejection of plans by the council and knocking the stand down too soon etc so the other two lft. If corney had no ounce of affinity towards Latics he would have gone too leaving us needing a buyer once again. Corney instead has decided to stick it out and didn't want to sell to Koukash who had every intention of putting Salford Rugby first before Oldham Athletic. He hasn't left and is trying his best to run a league one club on let's face it league two attendances (due to the proximity of the big clubs in Manchester and due to the town not being wealthy orthe football club etc)

Give it time, you all slate Johnson for chopping and changing his squad week in week out yet some of you are debating whether to chop and change our manager once again. It would only be the same for the next manager and the manager after that so how about give the squad a lift, give everybody else at the club a lift and support the team until such time as there isn't one (hopefully never)

KTF

Totally agree! Well said!

Bad example Brown is :censored: and needs replacing. Kasunga has been injured or suspended most of his time here. Winchester can play right back but when was the last time he did? He can't complete 90 mins as it is. Have you seen enough of Wilson to judge his ability? No you haven't....

If the fans are moaning and bitching and hateing individual players then he is right to defend them isn't hehe?

Oldhams fans especially on this board talk so much :censored:e and give players grief right away if results are not fantastic but their little feelings get hurt when something is said in response. Jesus its not like fans are turning after 20 games. Its only 4 games.

The football hasn't been as good since around Preston last season but we also didn't pick up point playing that way did we? We need to find a happy medium and I think that's what he nis trying to do

How can you tell after only 4 games if the squad is not as good as last season by the way? If we are bottom 4 at Xmas your argument may have some merit but after 4 matches its :censored: IMO

Again spot on! Nice some common sense replies are being written!

If that is aimed at me I was just pointing out that the playing budget might be lower due to the cost of the stand !

Things can change quickly in football and 3 good results can see teams shoot up the league.

LJ has said he knows what's wrong so let's see what the next few weeks bring, personally I don't think he's far away from a decent consistent team once certain positional and tactical problems are ironed out.

Things can change quickly in football and 3 good results can see teams shoot up the league.

LJ has said he knows what's wrong so let's see what the next few weeks bring, personally I don't think he's far away from a decent consistent team once certain positional and tactical problems are ironed out.

I agree.

I just hope he does sort it!

Any chance of a forward on the bench on Saturday LJ?

Turner is going out on loan I read tonight, which is Ludicrous. The lad needs games according to LJ, so give him games for us.

What's better for him for the next month? 5 mins in 1st team every now and again and no reserve games or 5/6 games in the conference north?

Might help him get back to full fitness quicker and get a couple of goals too.

LJ hasn't taken Latics forward and he isn't capable of it.

This is by far the worst squad in his time and he built it. He is living of a 10 game unbeaten run (mostly draws) has spunked his budget in the wrong area and is now left with players who at best are capable of 18th place looking at teams in this league

It's just my opinion and like the possitives one the negative lot should have their say

At this moment he would be better keeping quiet and doing talking on the pitch. I hope he proves me wrong and we dick donny tomorrow but I don't see this side having goals or keeping clean sheets which is a recipe for losing games

Not out yet but if no wins in next 3/4 I'd be thinking about calling for his head

Wrong...

Poor example for starters, Brown is not good enough and needs replacing. Kasunga has been injured or suspended most of his time here. Winchester can play right back but when was the last time he did? He can't complete 90 mins as it is. Have you seen enough of Wilson to judge his ability? No you haven't....

If the fans are moaning and bitching and hateing individual players then he is right to defend them isn't he?

Whilst I'd agree with the majority of this, the penultimate time Winchester started a game at RB he did this:

I'd agree he struggled to last 90 minutes last season, but this season, not only has he seemingly bulked up a bit, he looks that 10-20% fitter and doesn't look like he warrants being subbed in every game he has started, because the manager doesn't think he can last 90 minutes. The one reason why I wouldn't play CW at RB is because he is earning a place on merit elsewhere, and rightly so, in many ways Johnson needs to give serious priority to putting an affordable long-term contract in from of Carl, as the way he is playing he'll be off to pastures new and better than us soon if we aren't careful.

The signing of B. Wilson strikes me as an opportunity one, not one made out of necessity. He is probably better than what we had, although the jury is still out on that as far as I'm concerned, but it wasn't in an area that was crying out for strengthening. He is probably good value for money and should theoretically provide some added and needed experience in the dressing room. Likewise with Elokobi.

However, the one area we needed to strengthen is up front, he may have signed both Forte and AMS, who look more than capable of playing there, but so far he hasn't played either of them there. Therefore we are still lacking, doubly so as JCH has gone off the boil. He's a better manager than Dickov tactically, but he isn't doing as well in the transfer market.

I don't doubt for a second that Winchester can play right back. You are right though he has earned a place further up the field and does seem to be stronger on and off the ball this season which is what I've been asking for for 3 years. Hopefully that will continue but as I've said we have still only played 4 games.Consistancy ...

The completing 90 mins though is obviously still an issue and we can only trust Winchester and LJ with that decision on a Saturday. He trains all week and if fitness is the issue and Carl thinks he can finish 90 mins strong then he has a voice and he needs to speak up. There is obviously a player there and as good as his goal above was, our main issue at right back has been defensively. You may be right about Wilson being a opportunity that arose but again it just goes to show LJs views on Connor Brown.

We do need another striker and if we get one then I don't think we will be far away. That one player will even the balance of the squad that people keep saying is unbalanced IMO. We have forward players but they are either not happy in the formation, are not getting enough support or not giving enough. I personally think they lack support in forward positions. In JCHs case the ball needs to stick and he needs to keep his feet.Keep it basic, hold it and bring team mates into play. One good striker brought in could turn this into a good season.........

Where he comes from? Let's hope LJ knows.

Edited by palmer1

The signing of B. Wilson strikes me as an opportunity one, not one made out of necessity. He is probably better than what we had, although the jury is still out on that as far as I'm concerned, but it wasn't in an area that was crying out for strengthening. He is probably good value for money and should theoretically provide some added and needed experience in the dressing room. Likewise with Elokobi.

The jury has come back B. Wilson is better than what we had at RB and big George has made it difficult for Lockwood to get back into the team.