JCH and Danny P, or a new striker?

Fair play to JCH for his goal and pass for the penalty yesterday after not having a good start to the season. I'm a firm believer that Philliskirk and JCH could be an excellent partnership in a year's time but aren't quite ready to do it on a regular basis just yet.

So my question is, should we bring in a new starting striker or should we give them the opportunity to play together and get used to each other?

Personally I think the former, but see logic in the latter.

Should have been 5 in 5 too, why he didn't just smash it into the open goal I'll never know!

Good player.

Yeah, I didn't go yesterday but if memory serves he fluffed a great opportunity towards the end of the first half against Orient also.

I saw Morgan-Smith at Ashton and his fifteen minute cameo against Vale. If he can get fit and get on the pitch, his pace and Forte's pace could be really exciting to watch.

I thought Philliskirk and JCH showed virtually no "partnership" instincts yesterday. That said, these things take time to develop and the isolated JCH hasn't been helped by that.

I'm no great fan of JCH and would bring in an alternative.

But, to balance, there are four key moments yesterday from JCH that give me hope.

- a goal from close range.

- the through ball for the penalty.

- the first touch pass to Forte when he took it round the keeper.

- the back heel to a team mate when he was trapped in the corner flag which led to the Philliskirk chance.

My ongoing question with JCH is how long is reasonable to persist with his potential? More performances like yesterday are needed and he can't settle for that as a benchmark.

I thought Philliskirk and JCH showed virtually no "partnership" instincts yesterday. That said, these things take time to develop and the isolated JCH hasn't been helped by that.

My ongoing question with JCH is how long is reasonable to persist with his potential? More performances like yesterday are needed and he can't settle for that as a benchmark.

On the partnership issue, I don't think either have ever worked in a partnership with other players and that means they are feeling out how they should operate together. I don't really see either as very effective at the moment, either in isolation or together.

JCH has just turned twenty, he needs at least two full seasons.

However, he is getting the game time under his belt, something the likes of Winchester, Mellor and Millar were not getting at that age.

I'm not saying JCH will be any of the following at this stage but I think he compares pretty well to O'Grady.

We released O'Grady at 24.

Craig Davies at 23.

Jermaine Johnson at 24.

Maybe those are the needles in the haystack, maybe JCH is part of the chaff, but can the club really pass up the potential JCH has at the moment? He is leading the attack at 20, of course he is going to be inconsistent and his character is to look sullen and uninterested. There is a lot of coaching needed there but I think he can make it.

Edited by blueatheart

Forte has scored four in five.

He is a striker being played out of position.

It seems to be working.

Is he out of position though?

I don't see him as being someone who wants to play with his back to goal, better where he is giving him space to run into.

Is he out of position though?

I don't see him as being someone who wants to play with his back to goal, better where he is giving him space to run into.

He's always played as a striker but his strength for me is exactly where Winchester put that ball through the middle for his goal against Orient. Edited by blueatheart

Forte's defensive abilities were at the forefront yesterday too, he covered back harried their winger and won the decision. Great defensive work. If we can work out how to regularly get the best out of him playing out-wide I think he would be better there than up the middle. When JCH drifts wide left, as he is prone to do, and with good effect yesterday, it is ideal for our wide right player, Forte, to have some striking ability as was shown until about 5 yards from goal when Jones cleared the ball yesterday.

Someone akin to Stead or Henderson, to add to JCH, DP, Forte, AMS, Bove and Turner would be ideal. A big; good in the air; with a lot of experience player. The problem is yesterday might cloud Johnson's thinking that we don't need something extra up front, one swallow does not make a summer and all that.

Still think we need to keep Forte out wide while he's playing so well there. Forte on one wing, Winchester on the other, opposition defences :censored:ting themselves trying to figure out which one they should triple mark. It just makes sense.

Were they up together in a 4-4-2 or was DP in behind in a 4-4-1-1?

I'd say we need a new striker with a bit of experience but until then stick with these two.

Both but more 4-4-2 than 4-4-1-1, at times yesterday in the second half it was more of a 4-3-3 we were playing.

We still a striker, It's a long season and we are going to need back up for all positions. I reckon we will have at least two further additions to the squad by 11pm on Monday 1/9/14. I trust L.J. and he obviously has the club in his heart as he has shown not only yesterday but in previous months. Onwards and upwards.