Trotman at Bristol Rovers....

I saw him play on Saturday v Halifax - getting rave reviews and played ok, but it goes to show that "promise" is often worth less than cash.

Trotman, Spencer, Eaves, Philliskirk.

Over £1m of capital received, but have any of these made the grade? Philli's back here in League 1, 2 are non-league and the last hasn't played above league 1 in the 4 seasons since he moved.

There will be a player that will go on to better things, and it might be JCH, but overall taking the cash seems a sensible policy. If we'd waited 2 years with eacj of these we'd be £1m down.

True, but (Trotman aside who had terrible luck with injuries at PNE IIRC) I believe all would have benefited far more from first team games with us than being lost in the 'youth bins' of Premier League clubs. In most cases I think unless they get a decent loan move immediately, moving to a big club at an early age is often detrimental to a players development. There's no substitute for the experience of first team football. It's a shame so many jump at the first sight of the big leagues money.

True, but (Trotman aside who had terrible luck with injuries at PNE IIRC) I believe all would have benefited far more from first team games with us than being lost in the 'youth bins' of Premier League clubs. In most cases I think unless they get a decent loan move immediately, moving to a big club at an early age is often detrimental to a players development. There's no substitute for the experience of first team football. It's a shame so many jump at the first sight of the big leagues money.

This all the way. There is nothing better than a 22 year old with 100 league starts under their belt. You know what they are capable of and where they can improve without doubt.

In my opinion, it's then that the club could make serious money on a player. As rightly said though, we probably wouldn't have sold Spencer, Phili, Trotman or Eaves. Maybe one of those would have made it, possibly Eaves, who four years after leaving latics has started 47 league games.

If he had stayed, he'd have probably been leading the attack and have 120 games by now.

Edit: and I didn't fix this, he is 22.

Edited by blueatheart