Post Match: Oldham Athletic 1-0 Fleetwood Town

Thought we were excellent today.....solid at the back with more potency upfront than the back end of last season.

I really think that if we can get a target man who Poleon and Forte can play off we could have a real go this season, this would also give us a plan b as opposed to Philly.

I have 3 worries at the moment and to be honest I really am not being negative when I say this

Forte's injuries........need to keep him fit

Winchester.......clubs will be sniffing around if he has another half dozen games like he has been playing.....first thing Monday get a contract in front of him!

And my worst fear is that when Lockwood is fit LJ goes back and tries 3 at the back to accommodate him! The 4 we have a doing a grand job......please please please don't try and move Big George to LB

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few wobbles in defence but over we took solid at the back

Belting stuff from Philly, Kelly, Winny & Elokobi

It wasn't champagne football but it's another victory and another clean sheet we've grinded out against a side that should be there or there abouts at the latter stages of the season

Thought we were excellent today.....solid at the back with more potency upfront than the back end of last season.

I really think that if we can get a target man who Poleon and Forte can play off we could have a real go this season, this would also give us a plan b as opposed to Philly.

I have 3 worries at the moment and to be honest I really am not being negative when I say this

Forte's injuries........need to keep him fit

Winchester.......clubs will be sniffing around if he has another half dozen games like he has been playing.....first thing Monday get a contract in front of him!

And my worst fear is that when Lockwood is fit LJ goes back and tries 3 at the back to accommodate him! The 4 we have a doing a grand job......please please please don't try and move Big George to LB

Injuries and suspensions will take care of the defence, Lockwood will not be rushed back, but the one constant needs to be James Wilson he is class. And that is not deriding George as I just love the man.

Good first half but we need to get our chances on target Danny P does well to intercepet but shoots miles wide when well played, Kelly and Forte also guilty

Deference did well. Mills improved after a poor start. His passing was dire for 10-15 minutes. Hes just struggling for form at the minute but i think hes improving

Midfield - Forte pace vital for us hes an outlet for us all the time. Kelly improving more work rate and much better at closing the ball down. Winchester - something has clicked. All of a sudden hes more aggressive closes down quicker tries to move the ball quicker - doesn't always come off but hes starting to look a player. Hes never been consistent but maybe now hes finding it. Faded a bit 2nd half untill the last 10 minutes when he came into it and helped keeper Fleetwood pegged back.

B.Wilson - solid and energetic

Danny P was a good but hes so slow to set himself for a shot - today we got lucky as they dived in and gave us a pen... If we get an out and out striker/target man not sure there is room for him... Cause hes no winger

Poleon - early days not as impressed as others but he does have pace and did well to create get the ball in that led to the goal. More to come when fit i think

The team as a whole worked really hard to today = no passengers and that's great to see.

Fleetwood were OK going forward but weak at the back not sure why they persisted with the short goal kicks to the center backs as they didn't have the ability to distribute well

Good win!

1st half, I thought - at times - we played some super stuff. We have pace in key areas (Forete & Poleon) & assured touch in others (Winchester) and basically, Fleetwood couldn't live with us.

BUT - there is a negativ to take from what was a very good 45mins of Football, and that was our finishing. It's going to massively come & bite us on the arse if we don't put our chances away. We should have been out of sight - Forte should have put his half volley on the turn away, and Danny P's miss was a shocker really. I mean, even Forte's penalty was pants! We dominated that half, but our finishing nearly cost us. If Chubbs doesn't make that decent save, unjustly - Fleetwood could have gone in 1 up. Better teams will punish us.

2nd half, I saw tactics change, to us sitting back and countering. It's not as good to watch, but it's ultimately seen us home - just. It's very risky though; especially at just 1 nil up. We missed Forte when he went off (hope its not a bad one).

Positives?

Mills was better today, much more like it. Actually very good defensively IMO; and got foward well and produced decent balls in too. Much more like the lad we had on loan, rather than the imposter who started the season.

Kelly - rightly was getting grief for his start to the season. I said i hoped his :censored:e performances were down to lack of match fitness. It looks lime they were. Tonnes better today; really drove us on, hassled and tackled and got forward well too. Much more like it.

Danny P - his miss was awful, but that apart - back to how he was at his best last season. Caused a threat all game, and linked play really well.

B Wilson - my MOTM actually - save for 2 misplaced passes at the start of the game, IMO he didnt put a foot wrong. He's so solid. It's not spectacular nor will it have you off your seat, but he's made a huge difference IMO and he was simply excellent today.

Poleon - very promising debut. As i posted this morning - he'll need time to adjust and settle, to get used to us and for his teammates to get used to him. But, while he's doing that, if he's putting in a shift like that, i think we'll all be happy.

Big G - ha! Cult hero. He swings, he sometimes misses, he gives it everything he has, he bounces players about, he's - well - Big Geroge. Love him!! My mates sums it up i think when he said "i love Big G - I want one for a pet!"

Pleasing performance 1st half, ground it out 2nd. Good win all in all though.

Good win and all played well especially Winchester and Philiskirk. Good saves by Chubs. Elokobi superb and I like the way he comes over to the fans after the games.Thought we had a decent ref as well.

Listening to Radio Lancs on the way home after the game Graham Alexander was furious with the ref's performance.He said the ref was conned by the Oldham players and it was never a penalty.He asked the linesman for his opinion and was told that he didn't see it.He claimed that they were beaten by a poor decision,however,he did say Oldham are a good side!

To me,he sounded bitter in his interview.Only 3 league goals that they've conceded so far(2 pens and a free kick.)

Injuries and suspensions will take care of the defence, Lockwood will not be rushed back, but the one constant needs to be James Wilson he is class. And that is not deriding George as I just love the man.

Agreed but he is definitely better with a 'Talker' next to him......luckily we now have 2 of those in Locky and my man crush Big George

Thank god for that, saves me getting the piss taken out of me for a bit...

Fleetwood have not played as bad as that for a few years and the Mcloughlan on international duty, Forte absolutely ripped Hogan a new hole..

Poleon looks to have decent movement and awareness about him, MOM for me was Big George..

Massive improvement (missed the last 2). Most pleasing thing was that, even at 1-0, we looked the more likely to score and were looking to increase our lead. Far from spectacular but, after that performance, there defo looks like there's more to come. Win next week and they'll be 1,200+ at Notts County.

Listening to Radio Lancs on the way home after the game Graham Alexander was furious with the ref's performance.He said the ref was conned by the Oldham players and it was never a penalty.He asked the linesman for his opinion and was told that he didn't see it.He claimed that they were beaten by a poor decision,however,he did say Oldham are a good side!

To me,he sounded bitter in his interview.Only 3 league goals that they've conceded so far(2 pens and a free kick.)

Surely he couldn't complain if it had been 3 or 4 -1 today. Why is it so difficult for them to at least get shots on target. Too much sideways and backwards passing in the 2nd half. When we ran at them they couldn't cope, and no pressure was put on their defender that got booked. Fleetwood looked like a L2 side and how they have not conceded from open play I don't know, pure luck.