attendancies

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear that we got around 4,000 home fans today.

Lee Johnson said he wants a few more in Boundary Park for next weeks game: https://audioboo.fm/boos/2454932-post-match-officialoafc-manager-lee-johnson-after-their-1-0-win-against-fleetwood

Hopefully, we get a few more in for the game against Gillingham.

I know not everyone will agree with me on this but I feel that regardless of the clubs on our doorstep between 5 and 6 thousand is what we should be getting for home games

Based on what?

Oldham is a town of over 100,000. To be totally sexist 50% are men. Are you telling me that less than 10% of those men will pay for live football?

Just a note, plenty of our crowd are female and I am a fan that doesn't live in Oldham. Just wondering why we have the god given right to get 5000 or 6000 fans a game. Why not 15000 or 20000?

Edit: Wigan get 15000 but has a smaller population than Oldham.

Edited by blueatheart

Based on what?

Oldham is a town of over 100,000. To be totally sexist 50% are men. Are you telling me that less than 10% of those men will pay for live football?

Just a note, plenty of our crowd are female and I am a fan that doesn't live in Oldham. Just wondering why we have the god given right to get 5000 or 6000 fans a game. Why not 15000 or 20000?

Ok let me re-phrase - regardless of the clubs on our doorstep we shoule be getting at least 5 thousand for home games.

Why we don't get those sort of crowds in is a debate we've had over a million times on here, I'd love us to be getting 10k plus, but to me 5-6k is realistically what we should be aiming for in the league we're in.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Ok let me re-phrase - regardless of the clubs on our doorstep we shoule be getting at least 5 thousand for home games.

Why we don't get those sort of crowds in is a debate we've had over a million times on here, I'd love us to be getting 10k plus, but to me 5-6k is realistically what we should be aiming for in the league we're in.

Really think it's just a case of being too expensive, club will say they've tried to attract fans back with offers but for me they were gimmicks, never been a sustained effort made.

Aiming for is different. If we were consistently in the top ten this season our attendances will increase.

We've won three on the bounce. Let's see what we get next Saturday?

Based on what?

Oldham is not a free standing town of 100,000. It isn't like Burnley or Blackburn. It is not that simple. It hasn't been that simple in living memory. It is part of a MBC area of nearly 250,000, with similar areas either side (neither with a big club). It is also part of a conurbation of nearly 2.7 million. Most people don't live in a town bubble (certainly not for a long time). United, in particular, have attracted thousands from Oldham for decades. I remember the Oldham Reds in the 1970s. Now the others have rolled up, thanks to oil money. This is what we're faced with. That plus a historical sense of apathy.

Then again, so are Wigan (and they have the RLFC). However, i think their gates could easily crash, just as ours did (and ours never averaged more that 15,000, albeit with a great team).

That said, I still reckon we could get back to something similar to Wigan if someone pumps millions into the club (like Whelan has done).

I'm not holding my breath.

Aiming for is different. If we were consistently in the top ten this season our attendances will increase.

We've won three on the bounce. Let's see what we get next Saturday?

it won't happen overnight but I'd just love to see those sort of crowds return one day. Winning more matches at home would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Wigan can market themselves in neighbouring areas, as the likes of St Helens, Warrington, Skem all don't have football league sides. We can only do that with the Tameside, as Bury, Rochdale, Manchester and Huddersfield all do. I've made the point on here regularly that we need to stop concentrating on getting more people from Oldham to attend more games, instead focus on simply getting more people to attend more games. But to do that costs more money, both in terms of advertising and staff, see below.

Wigan regularly had 4,000 home fans when they were at this level. We had more fans than they did in their ground when they were having a promotion party and subsequently title winning party.

The new stand might put a few hundred on the gate, but to really put the 1000+ (at the same prices) needed we need to win more games, but to do that we need the money of those extra 1000+ fans. It's all a vicious circle.

Would love to see more fans, Obviously. Winning more games will bring 'em. Once games are won, stay aways come back and the word gets around. I know at least 10 stay aways who use the 'three stands' as an excuse. It'll be interesting to see if they come back once it's completed or remain abscent.

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

I hope we can get another win next week and stay up where we are.

it will help keep home attendances above 4k.

the financial impact of doing well and staying in top ten will be massive towards helping build a good team.

If and I say if the new stand can help bring in another 300 plus home fans per game that itself is massive for our club.

I would therefore expect at some point next season to have 5k home fans attend for a league match.

heres hoping. KTF

Do they sell 3 or 4 game passes? Pardon my ignorance here if the do.

Come up with a slogan to sell 3-4 home games in a row. Going to the football is a habit thing, and if you can get that habit happening well all well and good.

Likewise, how about regulars inviting someone who doesn't come along. Just to enjoy the atmosphere of live football.

But hey I live 15,000 miles away so don't know enough. All I know is when I read results the next morning. :)

Do they sell 3 or 4 game passes? Pardon my ignorance here if the do.

Come up with a slogan to sell 3-4 home games in a row. Going to the football is a habit thing, and if you can get that habit happening well all well and good.

Likewise, how about regulars inviting someone who doesn't come along. Just to enjoy the atmosphere of live football.

But hey I live 15,000 miles away so don't know enough. All I know is when I read results the next morning. :)

Those three or 4 home game game packages would make a great gift idea, bundled with a birthday card or such. Not too expensive and would be great town centre sales idea.

Only get back to Oldham every 2 years myself but I get to see 2 or 3 games in that time. I always feel the marketing of Oldham Athletic to the people who are possible customers or at least sympathetic to Oldham has always been lazy at best and frankly often just piss poor.

Those three or 4 home game game packages would make a great gift idea, bundled with a birthday card or such. Not too expensive and would be great town centre sales idea.

Only get back to Oldham every 2 years myself but I get to see 2 or 3 games in that time. I always feel the marketing of Oldham Athletic to the people who are possible customers or at least sympathetic to Oldham has always been lazy at best and frankly often just piss poor.

That's a quality idea

The match day experience is pretty bad at the Sportsdirect.com. Ground regulations are the same for everyone but most places do it better than us. Even MK Mongs allow people outside for a smoke at half-time.

But if you want a decent match day experience, you might want to try non-league football. 2856 watched Dulwich Hamlet in the Isthmian League yesterday. You can have a pint (and a fag if you like) standing by the touchline. You can even take your own in. You can nip out to Sainsburys at half-time for a scotch egg and a bottle of pop, or a packet of fags and some lagers. And it's £10 to get in. (Everyone I saw paid the regular admission price, even though it was pay-what-you-want day.)

Best chant of the day: we're the famous Dulwich Hamlet and we're off to Tuscany.

But if you want a decent match day experience, you might want to try non-league football. 2856 watched Dulwich Hamlet in the Isthmian League yesterday. You can have a pint (and a fag if you like) standing by the touchline. You can even take your own in. You can nip out to Sainsburys at half-time for a scotch egg and a bottle of pop, or a packet of fags and some lagers. And it's £10 to get in. (Everyone I saw paid the regular admission price, even though it was pay-what-you-want day.)

Best chant of the day: we're the famous Dulwich Hamlet and we're off to Tuscany.

Excellent value. As an advocate of how non-league football is run (by-and-large - Futurama Conference the exception) and presented, it saddens me how the upper echelons of the sport have completely sold their souls.

http://www.nonleague.co.uk/maps/all_non_league_clubs.php

Excellent value. As an advocate of how non-league football is run (by-and-large - Futurama Conference the exception) and presented, it saddens me how the upper echelons of the sport have completely sold their souls.

http://www.nonleague.co.uk/maps/all_non_league_clubs.php

I hadn't realised until yesterday how far the sell-out had gone. Loads of proper south-east London accents to go with the inevitable Dulwich posho ones. Nice bar (even if it was understandably heaving). Loads of kids running about. (Under 12s always get in for nothing, and it's a fiver for teenagers.) The fans have also successfully campaigned against the club's involvement in the IDS work programme, whereby people are forced to work full time for the dole. I do wonder what clubs such as Oldham have gained from the sell-out and from ludicrous ground regulations and so on.

I was in Doncaster last week. I fancied a drink in the second half, so I smuggled a couple of miniature bottles of wine in. The stewards were glaring at me all half. So I've paid my £23, fancy a drink and am made to feel like I've smuggled booze into the :censored:ing school disco. The romance!

I'm still married to Oldham, but I'm planning a long-running, filthy affair with Dulwich after yesterday's getting-to-know-you knee trembler in the alleyway.