Getting the ball into the opposition box

I don't if it's just me but I noticed yesterday that we were doing it a hell of a lot more yesterday than we have in previous games under Johnson. This to me is something we've been needing to do for a while, I don't know if it's down to our midfielders getting further forward or the ability of our wingers but it was certainly refreshing to see. I liked Korey Smith in terms of his technical ability but I did feel at times with him in the the middle the play did seem to go sideways a hell of a lot and personally I think at our level you need to be gambling more in the final third. If we play like this in more games and we take more of those chances I will certainly be more optimistic about our chances this season.

It's a really clever footballing idea.

And if people keep knocking Philliskirk over it will continue to be successful even if some of our finishing in open play is a bit powderpuff.

Both midfielders took the chance to get forwards yesterday. If we can get the full backs to overlap a little more Winchester and Forte could become even more effective too.

I still think we were over-cautious second half, but it was a tactic that bagged three points.

I love it when we play with wingers and overlapping backs....the mills winny combo is looking good and can only improve as we all know mills can swing the ball in.

Think Poleone can play as a winger too but unsure of which is his preferred side.

Which leaves Dayton, I like Dayton as he frustrates the hell out of me...he's an almost there player, he is always waving out on the wing for the ball, just a shame he's a bit of a push over when someone's on him.

If they can play like yesterday every game then I'll be happy to hand over the cash...Philly looked better yesterday too and a goal has got to come, hope Forte not too badly injured and that front line is strong to produce the goals

Before yesterday it would of been Danny P. Now anyone coming in will have to settle for a place on the bench.

I agree.

Philliskirk has looked good all season, stopped going missing as much in games. Starting to assert himself in the number 10 role and absolutely works his bollocks off for the team.

He's obviously not going to be scoring week in week out, but his role of bringing others into play, particularly Forte and Winchester, is vital to our play.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

I agree.

Philliskirk has looked good all season, stopped going missing as much in games. Starting to assert himself in the number 10 role and absolutely works his bollocks off for the team.

He's obviously not going to be scoring week in week out, but his role of bringing others into play, particularly Forte and Winchester, is vital to our play.

He might not be scoring, but hes won us 2 penalties in the last 2 games when he has had a decent chance of getting a shot off. Its as good as him breaking the net.

Philli has been absolute dross since November last year and i for one have been calling for him to be dropped.

However , over the last 3 -4 games he seems to be getting his act together and Saturday was his best game for Latics for a long long time.

Long may the improvement continue because as Saturday proved he is an extremely clever player at this level

Philli has been absolute dross since November last year and i for one have been calling for him to be dropped.

However , over the last 3 -4 games he seems to be getting his act together and Saturday was his best game for Latics for a long long time.

Long may the improvement continue because as Saturday proved he is an extremely clever player at this level

How many of those games has he played the majority of the game in his proper position?

How many of those games has he played the majority of the game in his proper position?

I loved Harkins for the pure entertainment value & season saving goals but I think his inclusion had more of an impact on Philliskirk than simply moving him out wider would have done. He was probably tracking and pressing in more areas than he would had Harkins' work rate been comparable to his attacking play. Philliskirk pretty much sacrificed his own game for the team whilst Harkins kept us up.