Oldham Athletic 0-0 Gillingham

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't get my head around that double substitution. Our two most threatening players replaced by two teenagers making their season debuts. It lost us all momentum and flattened the atmosphere. It looked as though we were getting closer to scoring by that point with the crowd uplifted and Gillingham looking a shambles, shaky with the ball, Poleon and Philly pressing high and carving into them, then that sub changed the game negatively for us.

We've still got more to learn on how to break down poor, bus parking teams at home.

We used Poleon dreadfully, his head went down and that was that. We were never going to score.

Their number five was a big, slow donkey. Poleon's a short arsed speedster. On the deck, in the channels and he'd have killed them. We lumped it into him as if he was JCH and, not surprisingly, made him ineffective.

The substitutions didn't solve the problem.

A lack of footballing intelligence from the deeper players cost us two points there.

Edited by opinions4u

Winchester needs to be moved to central midfield he's the only one who runs with the ball, Jones and Kelly for all their tip tapping create nothing from open play.Two midfielders holding hands on the halway line wont produce many goals at home.

Could not understand why we subbed our two strikers when we had them on the ropes.Lost our way a bit after that apart from a chance at the end.

Good game overall and plenty of good tackles and passing but still feel deflated.Still we are undefeated and the quality/pace is there.

Winchester needs to be moved to central midfield he's the only one who runs with the ball, Jones and Kelly for all their tip tapping create nothing from open play.Two midfielders holding hands on the halway line wont produce many goals at home.

Eh? I counted at least 3 shots on target from Kelly.

9 out of 10 passes from either of them are forward passes.

Eh? I counted at least 3 shots on target from Kelly.

9 out of 10 passes from either of them are forward passes.

I said they don't run with the ball, they just tip tap it around, that's why there's not enough goals at home, but if you and other fans are happy with that situation to continue for the rest of the season don't expect home results to change much.

I keep saying one holding midfielder at home is sufficient, but managers don't appear to want to risk conceding goals at all costs, it was the same with Dickov.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Edited by BP1960

i don't get this... Jones is always running late into the box, Kelly had plenty of shots from a far and both players never tend to turn and pass it along the back four! They both get their head up and look for a winger or a run forward (especially jones)

The only problem today was having no goalscorer on the pitch, apart from that - a good solid performance from all the team

WInchester would be useful in the middle as he clearly doesn't want to be on the wing but the 2 center mids were fine today. Jones tried to drive us on and Kelly played some neat passes

WE lack composure in and around the box but we look solid enough

Poor subs today - 2 young lads werent what was required - id like LJ to explain that one it nearly worked i guess with Turners little flick past the post but im not sue hes ready yet

I said they don't run with the ball, they just tip tap it around, that's why there's not enough goals at home, but if you and other fans are happy with that situation to continue for the rest of the season don't expect home results to change much.

I keep saying one holding midfielder at home is sufficient, but managers don't appear to want to risk conceding goals at all costs, it was the same with Dickov.

We could have played without a defence today, Gillingham had very little interest in trying to score a goal.

Thats my opinion anyway.

You didn't say they don't run with the ball but, I agree with you, I'd like to see one or more midfielder do that.

However, they're both massively more forward thinking than Kareful Korey so they'll do for me so far

You didn't say they don't run with the ball but, I agree with you, I'd like to see one or more midfielder do that.

However, they're both massively more forward thinking than Kareful Korey so they'll do for me so far

He did say Winchester is the only one who runs with ball. Sort of implies the other two don't.

'Kareful' Korey is ripping up trees at top of the league Bristol City. They love him.

He was clearly way too good for that team last season.

But the manager's philosophy is the same at home as last season, basically two holding midfielders.

I believe Jones has it in him to play as an attacking midfielder, but IMO he's held back by the system LJ employs, ok away from home, but it won't bring many wins at the SportsDirect.com stadium.

Edited by BP1960

The problem today was clear, and it wasn't Kelly or Jones. We created more than enough chances to win the game comfortably.

We lack someone with the touch and/or composure to finish when the opportunity arises. Kelly & Jones were part of the midfield that created 15+ opportunities today.

From the last few games, the opposition have only managed to create maybe 5 scoring opportunities between them at most, yet we've created probably had 9 or 10 good chances in each game.
The issue we have is obvious, but someone who can stick every other chance away costs more money than we have!

Disagree totally BP.

I thought we were excellent today up to and including the front two. Our issue is finishing.

If we'd have had a Luke Beckett or a Lee Hughes up top we would have walked away 3-0 winners.

Poleon looks a very promising live wire. Double sub killed the game. Don't know why he didn't make it a triple sub and bring Morgan-Smith on sooner.

LJ probably guilty of having more than one eye on the game on Tuesday.

The problem today was clear, and it wasn't Kelly or Jones. We created more than enough chances to win the game comfortably.

We lack someone with the touch and/or composure to finish when the opportunity arises. Kelly & Jones were part of the midfield that created 15+ opportunities today.

From the last few games, the opposition have only managed to create maybe 5 scoring opportunities between them at most, yet we've created probably had 9 or 10 good chances in each game.

The issue we have is obvious, but someone who can stick every other chance away costs more money than we have!

Kelly and Jones created little, they stood back most of the time, with Gillingham showing little ambition there was no need for both to play so deep.

It's a familiar pattern at home and most visiting teams set out their stalls accordingly.

Edited by BP1960

But the manager's philosophy is the same at home as last season, basically two holding midfielders.

I believe Jones has it in him to play as an attacking midfielder, but IMO he's held back by the system LJ employs, ok away from home, but it won't bring many wins at the SportsDirect.com stadium.

I think when we are chasing the game in the last 20 minutes this was the glaringly obvious problem.

I'm actually happy with 2 holding midfielders don't forget that having that security means that your full backs can always push further forward.

But today it would have been better had we thrown the kitchen sink in that last 20 mins when turner rolled that effort along the goal line their was a goal their for someone taking a risk and getting in the box.

Overall I'm not disappointed I just wish we had been abit more gung-ho at the end of the game, the win was there for us.

It was clear as day that poleon and philly were knackered. LJ wouldn't have made double sub for 2 relatively unknown quantities, unless he thought it was necessary. We missed forte badly today. Clean sheet can't be faulted, we looked fairly solid again, bar the odd couple of moments were we risked it a bit.

Edited by we hate man,u and city to