Oldham Athletic 0-0 Gillingham

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flip side of the goals scored argument....

Not long ago we needed to score at least 1 just to have a chance of getting a draw or win.

Now if we score one, we are seemingly very capable of winning 1-0 - very unlikely to lose.

So just build on the finishing touches and we're a real force.

I think we're a step ahead of last season.

This time last season we had problems scoring enough and kept losing 1-0. I think the 'over-reaction' (LJ) to the Preston defeat was for this reason - frustration that it just seemed to be the same.

This time we still need to improve the scoring, but we're unbeaten in four, have kept four clean sheets, and have won three of the games.

Hoping for three points from the next two away games to keep the momentum. Would take a point at Swindon, and then - with a big following - have a "right good go" at Meadow Lane.

Gillingham came for a 0-0 today and that's what they got.

I thought we looked very good and positive first half, created many chances but didn't have that instinctive person to be on the end of a cross or get in the right area.

Second half, we looked more negative and cautious, however, Gillingham were set up mpre defensively and looked to stop us passing the ball round as we did in the first half. We looked tired late on.

Shame Morgan-Smith couldn't nick it with that chance at the end?

The flip side of the goals scored argument....

Not long ago we needed to score at least 1 just to have a chance of getting a draw or win.

Now if we score one, we are seemingly very capable of winning 1-0 - very unlikely to lose.

So just build on the finishing touches and we're a real force.

I think we're a step ahead of last season.

This time last season we had problems scoring enough and kept losing 1-0. I think the 'over-reaction' (LJ) to the Preston defeat was for this reason - frustration that it just seemed to be the same.

This time we still need to improve the scoring, but we're unbeaten in four, have kept four clean sheets, and have won three of the games.

Hoping for three points from the next two away games to keep the momentum. Would take a point at Swindon, and then - with a big following - have a "right good go" at Meadow Lane.

This is exactly where I'm at. Not having confidence that you'll keep a clean sheet puts extra pressure on midfield and attack. It seems the focus is on clean sheets, maybe the next step is building from that and trying to score more. If we just jumped straight to all out attack we could end up back where we've been before and having to score 2 to stand a chance of any points.

Didnt understand all the faffing about in injury time when the back 4 were passing it around and nobody wanted to hoof it in the box?

Not going to score in your own half !

Maybe it was tiredness, but there was some lack of willingness to show for the ball from some of our players as the game went on I thought.

It wasn't bad from us yesterday but Gillingham were terrible and it was definitely two points dropped. Very happy with our defence and 'keeper (they seem to have settled as a unit) and the midfield isn't far off. If we can get the attackers firing, I think there might be real hope for this season..

James Wilson was my Man of the Match and, on reflection, a special mention for James Dayton. I'm one of his harshest critics, but he put a shift in yesterday, most notably when he nearly killed himself winning a corner in the first-half and ended up in the RRE!

Edited by JoeP

Maybe it was tiredness, but there was some lack of willingness to show for the ball from some of our players as the game went on I thought.

Poleon was guilty of this from about 20 minutes in, once we'd taken to hoofing it in the air to him. His body language changed markedly.

James Dayton. I'm one of his harshest critics, but he put a shift in yesterday, most notably when he nearly killed himself winning a corner in the first-half and ended up in the RRE!

Yeah, but walking round to go through the gate to get back on the pitch? Soft arse.

I wouldn't move Winchester. He's too light weight to have in the centre. I think LJ took our two strikers off because they had run themselves into the ground plus we still hadn't a goal to show for all the pressure. I think he hoped Wilkinson would stay in the middle - not wander around - and that the crosses would find him. Thought they both did ok when they same on but with the benefit of hindsight I'd have kept Philly on. If it had come off and we'd scored the winner it would have been a master stroke. Some you win... But we didn't lose! And wasn't that some save by our keeper from Macdonald?

Mills hasn't looked the player we had on loan last season but yesterday he was fantastic. Their main outlet is their right winger who is a very good player and will be tough for most full backs in this league but he hardly had a sniff yesterday except one time when Mills dived in. Well played Mills lad.

In short, we should have won yesterday. Had all of the ball, had the chances, just got to stick it away. Defence look rock solid. Wilson is a classy player but far too many times yesterday he chipped a hopeless ball up the line and we lost possession, must have happened 6 or 7 times in the second half. 2 defeats in 17 league games still - Roll on Swindon and County.

joining the party a bit late here had a busy weekend..

we were only lacking one thing Saturday and that was goals, solid at back bar one or two moments, great play from the midfield and forwards to create our chances, missing our top goalscorer was never going to help but created enough to win the game but its still another clean sheet and 1 point in better than none, its looking promising at the minute for sure lets hope they can keep it going and the goals will start coming in once our strikers get more game time under their belts (hopefully)

Apologies if it's already in the know, but how long is Forte out for??

According to the MEN he was back in training last Thursday but didn't want to be risked for Gills game.

So with Latics that's 3-4 weeks then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

Good stats O4U, however, my feeling is Kelly or Jones (both neat players) won't be given license to get forward more as clean sheets at home seem the priority.

All well and good if a point per game and survival is the priority, personally I'd sooner see more goals from all areas the pitch, but if the strikers can't do their job the current midfielders certainly can't be relied on to help out by chipping in with many goals.

I think we are stuck with the home formation, in that case the best I hope for is the defence can keep up the good work and we manage a 1-0 win or a draw.

BP - what did you think of Milligan and Henry back in 89-90?

BP - what did you think of Milligan and Henry back in 89-90?

Both outstanding, although primary hard working central midfielders they got forward quickly when they could.

It was the pace they kept the ball moving which stood out for me, in comparison I would say the current Latics midfielders (although decent players) don't do that as well.

You would often see one in an advanced position while the other held back, this is something I'd like to see Kelly and Jones do more of, as I have mentioned before one rather than two deep lying midfielders at home could improve the goal ratio. Jones in particular has the skill to play in an advanced role and I'd like to see that happen.

Edited by BP1960

Both outstanding, although primary hard working central midfielders they got forward quickly when they could.

It was the pace they kept the ball moving which stood out for me, in comparison I would say the current Latics midfielders (although decent players) don't do that as well.

You would often see one in an advanced position while the other held back, this is something I'd like to see Kelly and Jones do more of, as I have mentioned before one rather than two deep lying midfielders at home could improve the goal ratio. Jones in particular has the skill to play in an advanced role and I'd like to see that happen.

But then the current crop of Latics players aren't ever likely to do anything as well as the class of 89/90.