Swindon Town 2-2 Oldham Athletic

I thought he played quite well and was unfortunate to be subbed. His goal was one of the best I've ever seen by a Latics player...

He had suffered a very heavy challenge earlier in the game, and that may have been an influence on him being subbed. Tactically, as it removed our only natural wide man, I would hope that LJ would have preferred not to have done it.

I dont rate Dayton, very lightweight, hardly beats his man and when he does he always puts in crap crosses. However last night he was good. Superb goal, pressing well, linking with Mills well and put in a couple of decent ball.

Think i heard the "used to be :censored:e but now hes alright" song being sung to him last night. Harsh but fair.

Got to ask what was Daytons goal like? Did he make as much effort as he did last sat? Could he possible have filled out/found the fight to fit the shirt?

Just seen it on SSN. I'd say it was like Valenica's goal for West Ham against Hull on Monday, which the pundits were all raving about, but further out.

Wonderstrike.

Edited by JoeP

Terrific performance last night. Dayton's goal was an absolute screamer. The ball was rolled to him (badly) from a free kick, he adjusted and belted it in the top corner. It looked in from the moment he hit it and it's right up there with the best latics goals I've seen live.

First half we weren't great, but Swindon looked a really good side. They moved it round well, everyone looked comfortable on the ball and their right winger no.3 (Byrne?) was brilliant. Still, for all their play they didn't create many chances, but they just felt dangerous.

Second half we came out and dominated from the start. Our pressing was quality and we snuffed out the threat of Byrne. I didn't notice a massive change in tactics that cancelled him out, maybe it was just the pressing improving. Winchester came to life and Phillskirk was a menace everywhere. We got in good crossing positions but either a poor final ball or a good one that didn't have anyone on the end of it cost us. Their goal was another belter and against the run of play. Good fight from the lads to keep going and not let their heads drop and it was refreshing to see both sides going for the win right til the final whistle.

Crowd - awful from Swindon, not a peep. Good volume from the latics fans and I love a Lee Johnson's blue & white army chant that goes on for ages. Must really boost the players. Dayton getting a chant of "used to be :censored:e, now he's alright" after scoring a goal like that was shocking. Probably supposed to be funny but it isn't and must be a bit of a kick in the teeth for him. Poleon looked promising but is still clearly lacking in match fitness and sharpness, once that comes he will be a real threat.

Special mention to the ref... awful. Really fussy and seemed intent on giving a free kick and yellow cards every time they hit the deck. Especially the number 8 who was disgraceful with repeatedly diving then rolling around and at the same time looking at the ref. The refs performance was summed up when giving a free kick to Swindon for an off the ball shoulder charge, then moments later completely ignoring the same challenge on Poleon in the box. Nailed on penalty that - surely it doesn't matter if it's a shoulder if there's no intention to play the ball (which was nowhere near them).

Things are looking promising - if Morgan-Smith had scored that sitter against Gillingham and Wilkinson had squared for him last night when clean through we could be 4th!

Things are looking promising - if Morgan-Smith had scored that sitter against Gillingham and Wilkinson had squared for him last night when clean through we could be 4th!

Great to hear... but we should be careful to avoid the 'if my aunt had a dick...' thinking - long season of hard work ahead!

Great to hear... but we should be careful to avoid the 'if my aunt had a dick...' thinking - long season of hard work ahead!

Ha, yes totally agree! I'm not a fan of the if, buts and maybes. I was mainly thinking about fine lines and how tight the league is really. If we can keep this run up for a few more games then the top end of the league and the extra buzz and confidence that goes with it should be a reality. (aaargh, another IF!!!)

Terrific performance last night. Dayton's goal was an absolute screamer. The ball was rolled to him (badly) from a free kick, he adjusted and belted it in the top corner. It looked in from the moment he hit it and it's right up there with the best latics goals I've seen live.
First half we weren't great, but Swindon looked a really good side. They moved it round well, everyone looked comfortable on the ball and their right winger no.3 (Byrne?) was brilliant. Still, for all their play they didn't create many chances, but they just felt dangerous.
Second half we came out and dominated from the start. Our pressing was quality and we snuffed out the threat of Byrne. I didn't notice a massive change in tactics that cancelled him out, maybe it was just the pressing improving. Winchester came to life and Phillskirk was a menace everywhere. We got in good crossing positions but either a poor final ball or a good one that didn't have anyone on the end of it cost us. Their goal was another belter and against the run of play. Good fight from the lads to keep going and not let their heads drop and it was refreshing to see both sides going for the win right til the final whistle.
Crowd - awful from Swindon, not a peep. Good volume from the latics fans and I love a Lee Johnson's blue & white army chant that goes on for ages. Must really boost the players. Dayton getting a chant of "used to be :censored:e, now he's alright" after scoring a goal like that was shocking. Probably supposed to be funny but it isn't and must be a bit of a kick in the teeth for him. Poleon looked promising but is still clearly lacking in match fitness and sharpness, once that comes he will be a real threat.
Special mention to the ref... awful. Really fussy and seemed intent on giving a free kick and yellow cards every time they hit the deck. Especially the number 8 who was disgraceful with repeatedly diving then rolling around and at the same time looking at the ref. The refs performance was summed up when giving a free kick to Swindon for an off the ball shoulder charge, then moments later completely ignoring the same challenge on Poleon in the box. Nailed on penalty that - surely it doesn't matter if it's a shoulder if there's no intention to play the ball (which was nowhere near them).

Perfect write up. The ref was a disgrace. Just when you thought he couldn't get any worse, he did. Was it their No8 who rode the foul, then fell over AFTER the ref blew up? Farcical. How he never gave the pen when Poleon was barged over in the box with the ball 10 yards away, I'll never know.

No one had a bad game last night, although Byrne gave Mills a roasting 1st half. Apart from Byrne's through ball for their 2nd, he was played out of it second half. As said above, if Wilkinson had got his head up and seen Morgan-Smith unmarked in the box, we'd have won it. But he's 18 and still learning. He looks a very good prospect though.

Can't leave out Dayton's exocet. Everyone was expecting Mills to whip the free kick into the box, but he rolled it to the left instead. From the second it left Dayton's boot, there was only going to be one outcome. There's not a keeper in the world that would have got near it. Absolute rocket.

Got to mention Big George too. He was outstanding, so calm on the ball, but it's bloody hard to get it off him.

All in all, a very well deserved point that could easily have been three.

Thanks, Latics. Managed to get two games in whilst on holiday and not seen us lose. Back to relaxing for a few more days now. Shame I can't get to Notts County to watch the run carry on.

Agree with sentiment here. Good fight, skill, pressing etc from the lads last night. Lee Johnson might finally be getting close to the kind of team he wants. Need to practice those crosses in training though as too many good positions given away with poor crosses over our strikers heads or sometimes straight out of play. Good effort and good game from both sides, spoilt only by the fussy and inconsistent ref.

Great noise from the 238 Latics fans too.

LJ: "I thought our fans were absolutely superb tonight and I thank them because they didn't just drive the players on, they drove me on on the touchline in what was a tough game. I'm delighted for them and I hope they turn out like that at Notts County."

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20140917-gaffer-post-swindon-1923465.aspx#kWXPEtKrdLJYIAHR.99

I can't believe how many yellows were in the box for the Morgan Smith equaliser .... There must have been half the team in there!

They played an offside trap but forgot to tell one defender, so he was left marking about 7 players!

I can't believe how many yellows were in the box for the Morgan Smith equaliser .... There must have been half the team in there!

Which is something We should have done more towards the end on Saturday.

Overall I'm happy with the way we set out to be hard to beat and hit teams on the counter attack and try and win 1-0.

However their will be times when we will be going into the last 5,10,15 minutes of games needing a goal and that's when we need to go to plan B take risks throw the kitchen sink and load the box.

The fact that we got a goal back by doing this late on last night shows progress.

is it just one mine, or are the extended highlights on LP jumpy?

I'm having same problem

If you go onto Swindons' Player, you get over 4 mins of uninterrupted coverage.

Latics really do need to invest in a new server. HD is at best SD and the lag on both gives dial up a good name.

Still, brilliant result. Its back to the good old days where the games I really looked forward to every time the fixtures were announced, were the Swindon ones. Always 2-2 or 3-2 either way at either ground.

I have a good feeling about this season.

Edited by L1onheartNew