Notts County (a)

View from today;

Impressed with our back five; Elokobi was immense. Assured, confident and played some delightful passes. Wouldn't look out of place in the Championship and we're really fortunate to have him signed up. Mills though let us down with final ball and really poor crossing.

Our midfield two I think are the weakest we've had in a while. Little creativity, no real direction and didn't really dominate for me. Poleon a waste on the left, Winchester did ok on right but still think he should be in the middle. Dayton came on and showed what a winger/creative midfielder should do.

Up front Forte ran, tried but didn't get in the right areas to finish. Wilkinson I thought didn't make his mark until the last 25 minutes or so... only when Forte and Poleon went off.

We're definitely a striker away from a top 10 finish but I'd add a central midfielder who can create chances like a Wellens, Kilkenny, Stephens type.

Lastly, praise to the fans who carried on singing throughout the match. Only exception being the woman who either has Tourettes or a very limited vocabulary - every other word was f*** and I think she was sat with her two daughters. I appreciate that there are family sections but I had my nine year old daughter with me and I was embarrassed that someone mother had the pottymouth of a docker!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 2 defeats in 19 league games is impressive at any level. Todays performance was another example of how, if it had been a boxing match, we would have easily won on points. LJ and his assistants are coaching us into a hard to beat unit with attacking flair.

What can't be coached is hitting the back of the net on instinct and with nerveless, accurate execution. As a general rule it has to be bought or naturally self developed by a member of a clubs existing squad.

We all understand that with a fan base of 3,500 and a new stand going up, buying is not an option. We need patience and some luck with a loanee or an unlikely out of contract player hitting the ground running. Or maybe a squad member developing.

Today I thought Wilkinson looked promising. County gave him the respect of standing off him and he showed a unusual turn of pace for a tall lad. I thought he was at fault a couple of times for not laying balls off in good positions which I will put down to inexperience. Unless someone comes in I would like to see him given another start next week.

I'm pretty sure LJ will be putting 90% of his player search activity into a striker. We really are taking shape very nicely, County were never able to put us under any sort of real pressure.

the manager is trying to bring in a striker , we put in a bid which was accepted, the man gets an injury , other clubs now in for him .

some people on here seem to think the manager is not aware we could do with a goal scorer . he knows !

someone else wants to know what tommy wright is doing . working hard I would suggest .

we are in a good place as a club with the right management team , lets be grateful and back them .

1/2 Barry Owen

5/4 Simon Corney

6/4 Lee Johnson

View from today;

Impressed with our back five; Elokobi was immense. Assured, confident and played some delightful passes. Wouldn't look out of place in the Championship and we're really fortunate to have him signed up. Mills though let us down with final ball and really poor crossing.

Our midfield two I think are the weakest we've had in a while. Little creativity, no real direction and didn't really dominate for me. Poleon a waste on the left, Winchester did ok on right but still think he should be in the middle. Dayton came on and showed what a winger/creative midfielder should do.

Up front Forte ran, tried but didn't get in the right areas to finish. Wilkinson I thought didn't make his mark until the last 25 minutes or so... only when Forte and Poleon went off.

We're definitely a striker away from a top 10 finish but I'd add a central midfielder who can create chances like a Wellens, Kilkenny, Stephens type.

Lastly, praise to the fans who carried on singing throughout the match. Only exception being the woman who either has Tourettes or a very limited vocabulary - every other word was f*** and I think she was sat with her two daughters. I appreciate that there are family sections but I had my nine year old daughter with me and I was embarrassed that someone mother had the pottymouth of a docker!

She is always the same that woman,been the same for years,we move when she is near us and we aren't prudish by any means. You should hear the vile utterings when we aren't playing well , I imagine today was pretty mild.

She is always the same that woman,been the same for years,we move when she is near us and we aren't prudish by any means. You should hear the vile utterings when we aren't playing well , I imagine today was pretty mild.

Wonder if it's the Sameone who is always mouthing on Facebook and twitter yet to meet any sort of fan who has any time for her and her daughter.

Did Poleon touch the ball yesterday...

Yes, but not very often.

I'm not sure we've exactly played to his strengths yet (pace, running at defenders, keep it on the deck, quick interchange with strike partner). He's got to keep his head up too when it's not going his way.

Edited by opinions4u

We dominated for long periods but hardly threatened their goal. There has got to be some end product to the possession we are having.

Gillingham and notts co were two poor sides who should have been put to the sword.

LJ has to bring someone in to get us the goals, and sooner rather than later.

Yes, but not very often.

I'm not sure we've exactly played to his strengths yet (pace, running at defenders, keep it on the deck, quick interchange with strike partner). He's got to keep his head up too when it's not going his way.

Is he really a winger being played out of position?

We dominated for long periods but hardly threatened their goal. There has got to be some end product to the possession we are having.

Gillingham and notts co were two poor sides who should have been put to the sword.

LJ has to bring someone in to get us the goals, and sooner rather than later.

Seems if you get a goal your place is in danger (Dayton,Morgan Smith, Bove).

Edited by BP1960

Frustrating result. If we carried a goal-threat we would have put four or five in.

Barring the lack of penetration, we were excellent. We were in full control for the majority of the game, our passing was stylish and we just used our heads - nothing overly complicated. We passed it nicely when we could and be belted it out when County got into the box. I didn't feel threatened at all.

Shame really. Two points dropped. The signs are promising.

Watching yesterday we are screaming out for a target man or striker who can hold the ball up for the likes of Forte and Poleon to run onto with their pace into the box.

Wilkinson looks like he can do the role and should have led the line rather than being out on the wing. Odd that Forte appeared to be the central striker but in past games looked better coming in from the left.

I thought we played to Poleon's strengths on his debut... The little through balls in between the full back and the centre half for him to run on to off the defenders shoulder. Problem was that day we didn't have an out and out striker for him to square the ball to.

I've not seen Wilkinson yet to know if he's that type of striker.

Lets face it here. As the table goes now, and going off the opponents we've faced, were a clinical striker away from the top 3

And how much does a clinical striker cost? LJ is trying to find one who hasn't become clinical yet like Madden at Yeovil.

The way I saw it was that we hit them so hard and fast that they sat right back and used their good defending to nullify our attacks. We created so many scoring opportunities and fluffed so many corners that despite getting a good away point it was a disappointing result. We don't need to change the core of the team which with Jones and Kelly is way good enough. It is up to the four strikers/wingers to score. One goal would have been enough and could have precipitated a landslide.

Forte was hurt early on making a tackle and was holding back after that. Dominic is strong with some skill but has yet to work out where the goal is. Winchester was below par. Wilkinson has bags of potential but he is not our player and once he shows signs of doing the business will be lent elsewhere or used at home. I don't like loan players unless it is an 'emergency'. Why not play Bove or Rhys - develop what is ours. Apart from the late strike by Wilkinson we didn't make one other 'instinctive' goal attempt - to my mind they are trying so hard to score that it has become deliberate and is easily defended.

Great day out - Castle Rocks!

Edited by Hands on

And how much does a clinical striker cost? LJ is trying to find one who hasn't become clinical yet like Madden at Yeovil.

There is a reason why top strikers cost money. Putting the ball in the net is the hardest part.

Porter Circa 2005/06 would have scored 7/8 by now

What I like about how we're playing is that we're on this unbeaten run with a lot of clean sheets without being an overly defensive team. We're looking to win games.

Often when you have teams that are defensive, become hard to beat and don't concede many goals it's quite a jump to suddenly change that style to try and score goals.

Seemingly we're not all that far off and maybe a tweak here and there to tactics or 1 new player might do it, rather than a disruptive change in overall style.