Salford City FC

We were told at the weekend that they are paying one of their strikers £500 a game, and today it's in the news that some bloke from Singapore, who once tried to buy Liverpool, has taken a half share in the club. They are clearly aiming to be a rival brother to the other bastard child of the main Red :censored: and it's time to call bull:censored: on their talk of community grassroots development. We'd better keep an eye on this lot.

I think the investors have got an eye on Moor Lane for development, which logically puts the Ammies in the AJ Bell Stadium. It's all wealth driven - Danny Webber is purportedly on anything up to 800 clams a week, for a step 8 team that pulls 200 fans per game - that's immense and instantly puts them in the lower-league B team feeder bracket for big United. Hyde would be something similar if it wasn't for Scott McNiven making a right arse of it.

Also, coming to a league ground near you - AFC Fylde and North Ferriby...

EDIT:

Salford home attendances in chronological order:

Salford Star:

http://www.salfordstar.com/article.asp?id=2424

If Gary Neville et al are trying to build a club through the `grass roots', why sell half of it to a Singaporean billionaire from the other side of the world after only six months? They can't need the investment, they are all millionaires already – David Beckham, for instance, is worth an estimated £200million. Surely a club four tiers below the Football League, run by volunteers, doesn't need a billionaire's `investment'?

I was talking to someone yesterday who's involved in the running of a Ryman League side, apparently it's not uncommon for the good players to earn £500 a week.

That's more than I get for my full-time job. That's ridiculous.

The conversation leeslover was referring to in the OP was at Prescot Cables. The players there don't get paid. (I presume they get travel expenses, but that's it.) They're one of the smaller teams in the division but I'm sure the other teams aren't paying out anything like what Salford are.

Edited by rosa

I was talking to someone yesterday who's involved in the running of a Ryman League side, apparently it's not uncommon for the good players to earn £500 a week.

Perhaps in the Isthmian, I don't know. Anecdotal evidence suggests NPLPD Level 7 is around £200-250 for a decent playing wage. Salford at Level 8 (NPL1st) are paying more than double that, maybe triple. Some clubs in the same division have complete playing budgets that are less than £1000.

EDIT:

I suppose it's entirely possible that the playing budget to be spunked on one or two decent players, or pros, whilst the rest of the team are on non-contract £25 pound a game affairs.

I think the investors have got an eye on Moor Lane for development, which logically puts the Ammies in the AJ Bell Stadium. It's all wealth driven - Danny Webber is purportedly on anything up to 800 clams a week, for a step 8 team that pulls 200 fans per game - that's immense and instantly puts them in the lower-league B team feeder bracket for big United. Hyde would be something similar if it wasn't for Scott McNiven making a right arse of it.

Also, coming to a league ground near you - AFC Fylde and North Ferriby...

EDIT:

Salford home attendances in chronological order:

Warrington Town pay there players silly money remember reading Flyde future all depended on them getting a new ground. Must be something on that West Lancs coast.

Sorry - for the un-educated in terms of non-league, what's odd about them?

Salford City or Fylde?

Fylde are odd (IMO) as they're a new club based in group of villages (a stone's throw from Blackpool, Preston and Fleetwood) set up by 3 wealthy backers who want to get them in the Football League as quickly as possible. I've nothing against the ambition, but there isn't exactly the call for another FL club in the area.

Before their play-off game last season they sent a bus to Bloomfield Road, hoping to pick up some Blackpool fans.

Salford City or Fylde?

Fylde are odd (IMO) as they're a new club based in group of villages (a stone's throw from Blackpool, Preston and Fleetwood) set up by 3 wealthy backers who want to get them in the Football League as quickly as possible. I've nothing against the ambition, but there isn't exactly the call for another FL club in the area.

Before their play-off game last season they sent a bus to Bloomfield Road, hoping to pick up some Blackpool fans.

Sorry, yep, I meant Fylde.

So, they have a rich chairman who's putting money in then? And they're in an area which doesnt seem to have the support for another league side?

Not the oddest thing i've heard in football i'll be honest...

Yeah maybe odd isn't the right word. I wouldn't deny any area a decent football team, but it's following a recipe for disaster. I could be wrong, they might pick up a large following in the area and make it work at a League 2/Conference level, but I just can't see it lasting for long.

As for Salford City, a FCUM vs Salford clash would be interesting.

Salford City or Fylde?

ah right, I was under the impression Fylde were a merger of a couple of non league teams in Blackpool - names escape me at the moment but they play(ed) on the same road as each other. Now I see I was wrong in that assumption. Something in the water up there these days - Blackpool had a go at the Prem, Fleetwood rolling in it, Morecambe in the league as well. Hotbed!

ah right, I was under the impression Fylde were a merger of a couple of non league teams in Blackpool - names escape me at the moment but they play(ed) on the same road as each other. Now I see I was wrong in that assumption. Something in the water up there these days - Blackpool had a go at the Prem, Fleetwood rolling in it, Morecambe in the league as well. Hotbed!

Your right fella http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.F.C._Fylde

They are a new club - technically Kirkham Town and Wesham FC merged to form Kirkham and Wesham FC in the eighties, then became Fylde in 2007/08. If anybody manages to get to Fylde, check out the portakabin with sliding patio doors, that's where the silver service is - nicely separated from the proles. The Birley at the end of the road does cracking fish and chips, mind.

http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/kellamergh-park/

turns out the clubs I were thinking of were Blackpool Mechanics, Squires Gate & Blackpool Wren Rovers. Two of whom play on same street and the other around the corner. And from what I can gather there was some kind of merger, or maybe there wasnt - anyway, they're not AFC Fylde

I know I have an awful lot of superfluous stuff knocking about in my head but the Blackpool non league scene must be right up there in the top rank

turns out the clubs I were thinking of were Blackpool Mechanics, Squires Gate & Blackpool Wren Rovers. Two of whom play on same street and the other around the corner. And from what I can gather there was some kind of merger, or maybe there wasnt - anyway, they're not AFC Fylde

I know I have an awful lot of superfluous stuff knocking about in my head but the Blackpool non league scene must be right up there in the top rank

Mechanics are AFC Blackpool now - lovely little ground. Squires Gate are definitely still in operation, not sure about Wren Rovers.

Flyde did win the FA vase as Kirkham or reached the final. Wonder what happened to Blackpool Wren Rovers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

...because they've :censored:ed it up, and Rammy are the victims. A superb start to the season for The Rams in the NPLPD - a great team and management, now Ant Johnson and Glenn Moses have been lured to Salford to save the CO92 - their fans have said that they've stalled and need to spend to get out of the 1st Div. You can stick your :censored:ing cash up your arse.

(Note for the local non-leaguers - Dale Johnson arguably the best player for Salford, decided to leave earlier in the season for Ashton United - played yesterday at number 9, great player)

http://www.rammyunited.co.uk/index.php/news/club-news/395-rams-rocked-as-managers-leave

Not sure why Morley has decided to go.