Latics 3-2 Scunthorpe

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might be a cock but im not a prick.

anyhow, jones and wilson need to have a word with themselves and one of the two buy a new pair of boots.. because the amount of times i confuse the two is ridiculous!

Edited by kieranmcandrew

...and yet the defence settled when he came on. Up to that point the centre-backs were pulled all over (especially Wilson) for a good 25 minute spell during which we could've been 4 down (well Rachubka). Fallon was kept quiet once Kusunga came on. What more do you want?

I meant that in a good way - given in recent times the amount of mistakes he's made, he got on with it in a low key, efficient manner.

I might be a cock but im not a prick.

anyhow, jones and wilson need to have a word with themselves and one of the two buy a new pair of boots.. because the amount of times i confuse the two is ridiculous!

No confusing Mills' boots, with number of passes that go to the opposition I sometimes I think he has them on the wrong feet. :unsure:

In fairness though can't fault his attitude, he just gets on with it errors or not.

Edited by BP1960

I thought Jones assisted philliskirk when it was infact B.Wilson... am I stereotyping because they are both of similar build, wear the same boots and are both white? or just accidentally misplacing names

Tbh....it's confusing the hell out of especially the boots bit and yes I know look for the number on the shirt..hehe...it takes me until Xmas at least to get them all right, I'm up to midfield now and still not got it right.

I think that deserves a bit more than the faint praise on here.

Thuggish teams are coming to Boundary Park with the intention of bullying us yet, finally, we seem to have cracked how to deal with that without abandoning our footballing principles.

Heads never dropped - alright it wasn't pretty but Scunthorpe were the most stubbon, untalented, anti-football team we've played this season, and that's saying something. The defence had a rare off day for their goals. but that's allowed.

Delighted with that and have real hope, for the first time since the Shez era, that we could actually be moving forward.

Yep, I'd go along with that.

I was really disappointed in Scunny; having done so well to come up last season, to set up and go about it in the way they did yesterday was a strsnge one. Pretty much from KO, they were running down the clock, wasting time and setting up in an anti-football manner. Fallon was, well, Fallon - all backing in and elbows and they were intent on kicking their way to a point.

I was happy to see we weren't letting them get away with it. Past Latics sides had too weak a centre and would let sides set up like Scunny bully us out of the game. Not yesterday.

Wilkinson in particular came in for some treatment, but he kept his head and continued to try and get the ball down & play.

We played some decent stuff 1st half, but in that; whilst we'd scored a very impressive break-away goal, we hadn't worked the Keeper.

It's going to bite us that.

Too many times, we we could / should have got a shot off, we went for another pass. Trying to be too cute.

We need to kill sides off when we're on top.

Scunny were dog :censored: - but got themselves 2 goals.

We dominated that 1st half and went in down. Better sides will fully make us pay, and - whilst we deserved it overall, it's a worry it was so close in the end.

Plenty of positives to take from it though IMO.

Kelly & Jones were impressive. Dove-tailing in going forward, staying back, breaking play up and driving us forward; Jones in particular.

Brian Wilson had a cracking game, my MOTM, and Mills was better again.

James Wilson again was solid, and Kusunga didnt do too much wrong, booking apart, when he came on.

Philliskirk scoring 2 should hopefully do wonders for him, and he looked a lot better than he has done in that second 45.

Down side?

Wilkinson looks to have plenty to work with - but he's not ours; do we need another development project having to be played out in 1st team games when he's a Bolton player? Not sure he's what's needed right now.

Dom Poleon: not fired yet has he? I'm not sure what he is - striker? Winger? None of the above???? Hmmm. Tonnes of pace, tricky low centre of gravity and strong in possession but; what is he - and how do you get the best out him? I'm not sure yet and neither is LJ it looks like?

Winchester - easily our best naturally talented player and keeping possesion and gliding about from the right; it's nice to watch. But - he needs to start having an effect in games and on games. Its nice, lovely to watch him with the ball at his feet but - how many goals has he scored, how many has he set up? Again - in the side, where does he play so you utilise his talents to tje full. I'd say maybe in the role Philly played second half; but i'm not sure he has ever played it? I cant help feel he's wasted out on the right. He's doing OK; but i just cant get past the feeling he could be so much more elsewhere?

It's coming together. After a more than iffy start, 10th is an achievement.

With a goalscorer, and with the rest of the side taking a risk and shooting too, i cant help but feel we'd be so close to cracking it.

Pleasing but frustrating at the same time...