Rochdale tickets

I still feel that a number of our supporters are kidding themselves,we are no longer a "big" club. 20+ years ago we had some justification in our superior attitude towards other local lower league teams,but results and our own league position over the last several years tell a different story at the moment.When was the last time we had an impressive result against the likes of Rochdale or Bury?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a derby however you look at it a two

Way rivalry a mixed one, some Dale fans despise us others see Burnley, Bury and Halifax more as a rivalry

With social networking Etc and fact we have played them a couple times I think the rivalry is slowly developing into something. Let's not forget in our glory years they where still in league 2 and few fans on here not myself admitted to they went to there play off final at Wembley.

I know a good number of Dale fans but it be interesting the opinions of the Oldham fans that live in Rochdale itself.

Pukka who posts on here mentioned on Saturday that in his eyes Oldham fans see it as a bigger game than Rochdale do.

Edited by Forte_Baby

You do realise that this is the attitude we hate so much in Utd and City fans?

This.

^^^ spot on, they are less than five miles away and are currently a few places above us, I see this as a derby.

And this.

We're nowhere near good enough yet to be looking down our noses at anyone. We're on a good run at the minute, granted, but Real Madrid we are not.

I see rivals as a team I really really want us to beat - above all others. Teams we've a juicy history with, or ones who have a manager or particular player I hate. Or ones with particularly trolly or arrogant fans. Rochdale don't fit that bill for me - not even close.

It's not about thinking we're above Rochdale like they're not worthy of rivalry. I just don't hate them enough - probably due to not having played them much in the 25 years I've been into football.

We do take good numbers to Rochdale as we have done with Bury & Stockport in recent times so these games obviously mean quite abit the fans as they should because they are local derbies but for me none of them feel as intense as when we used to play Huddersfield and that's probably due to the fact we've been in different leagues from Rochdale, Bury & Stockport for a long while and we have always adhered ourselves to be the bigger club of the smaller clubs on the outskirts of manchester and that's more than likely how fans of Bolton, Wigan, Blackburn & Burnley (you could probably throw Preston in here aswell) regard matches against us, there maybe a few that will be old enough to remember a few previous encounters but there will not be the same animosity as when they play each other.

Edited by OAFCM35

It's a derby without any rivalry. Can't imagine there are two other teams in the British Isles within 10 miles of each other who give less of a :censored: about each other than us and Dale.

Barnet and the North London PL teams,

Brentford and Chelsea

Daggers and West Ham

Man United and Bury

Man City and Stockport

Walsall and one of the bigger Birmingham teams (possibly City or Villa)

these things take time to seed. If we play them over a number of seasons then the young uns will take a dislike to them.A lot depends on what era you got Latics deeply imprinted on you. I hate Man City so much yet many of you dont give two figs, which I find puzzling but that's the way these things go. Others a bit younger than me had a thing about Wigan for example - I really couldnt give two hoots either way about them. I find Tranmere and Huddersfield vaguely distasteful but not worth getting worked up over.

We have spent the vast majority of the past 40 odd years at a higher level than Rochdale and they've had their thing with Bury to get on with - but they do call us Biffo's. We cant even be arsed crafting a name for them.

Anyway, Im looking forward to it. I have no animosity whatsoever towards Rochdale and in fact doff my cap to their fans. Still, I'd *love it* if we dicked them at Spotland. Let's have a right royal knees up. Anyone got any Cyril Smith songs?

Stockport hate Citeh and before Citeh was massive club there was a fair bit of dislike from them aswell

yes, I worked in Wythenshawe briefly when Stockport were good - Flynn in defence etc - and City & Stockport were the biggest contingents of fans. And they definitely didnt like each other.

If we both start challenging for the play offs in this division for the next few years that will do a lot to crank up the rivalry.

Their has only been 3 teams in this division who I can say we have had a rivalry with Wigan in the early norties. Then tranmere under Moore and with us under shez and both of us challenging near the top, finally with Huddersfield a little bit as we took plenty to their place although I felt this would have cranked up more if we were challenging at the top under dickov.

So part of me is hoping Rochdale keep this going so that they can start bringing some proper followings to BP. I still can't find it in me to hate them yet.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Our biggest rivals should be Bradford - we've played them of the local teams most over the years.

bradford 100

notts co 90

tranmere 86

barnsley 78

port vale 72

crewe 71

wrexham 71

grimsby 69

blackpool 66

blackburn 62

preston 55

bolton 53

rochdale 51

burnley 49

leeds 48

huddersfield 47

city 44
red scum 44
bury 41
doncaster 38
wigan 13

Barnet and the North London PL teams,

Brentford and Chelsea

Daggers and West Ham

Man United and Bury

Man City and Stockport

Walsall and one of the bigger Birmingham teams (possibly City or Villa)

Bury dislike United like we do. The examples you've picked may not be reciprocated rivalries but I've no doubt Walsall fans will dislike both Brum clubs. Oldham and Rochdale, for the most part, aren't arsed about each other. For us, it's a good day out and a bit of piss taking (one of the few towns in the country we can look down our noses at ;-) ) and they will always hate Bury etc before bothering about us. Edited by longtimeblue

I lived in Norden which is 3/4 mile away from spotland til earlier this year and went to the school closest to the ground. So Ive known a lot of Dale fans.

I can honestly say they don't care about us, not much more than they do for Bradford or Preston anyway. Someone that if they beat, it is a bit sweeter due to to the amount they take and we do, but no real problem with us.

They took 2300 to Bury last year on a night game... They wont bring that to us. That says it all.

A sizable chunk of our fans have a different view. There is genuine level of dislike by some. Why?

My guess is it is because there is a generation of Latics fans who have never seen good times. They need a rivalry or something to keep passions going. Dale have had Bury. We have had nothing.

The fascination of "we will definitely sell out blah blah blah" is tedious. I couldnt give a :censored:. When I hear people mock our support I couldnt give two. Why mock Rochdales? Fair play to their fans, its easy to end up supporting the Red twats around here.

Lets go there and win. Not arsed about if they are rivals or not. For 90 mins they like everyone else - are.

Edited by pukka

yes, I worked in Wythenshawe briefly when Stockport were good - Flynn in defence etc - and City & Stockport were the biggest contingents of fans. And they definitely didnt like each other.

Stockport hate Citeh and before Citeh was massive club there was a fair bit of dislike from them aswell

Bury dislike United like we do. The examples you've picked may not be reciprocated rivalries but I've no doubt Walsall fans will dislike both Brum clubs. Oldham and Rochdale, for the most part, aren't arsed about each other. For us, it's a good day out and a bit of piss taking (one of the few towns in the country we can look down our noses at ;-) ) and they will always hate Bury etc before bothering about us.

So why do lots of Bury fans that I know also support United, lots of City fans used to go watch Stockport. Anecdotally I know bigger hatred between us and Rochdale than I do for the examples I cited. For someone to say that Oldham and Rochdale is friendlier than the examples I cited is without any evidence at all is nonsense, which is the point I was making.

The love-in between Bury and United is reduced since the Nevilles left both clubs, likewise since Stockport got relegated, I grant you. Yet, Stockport used to play on a Friday night primarily to get Citeh fans in, there will always be rivalries but for someone to say us and Dale get along best is complete and utter codswallop IMHO.

So why do lots of Bury fans that I know also support United, lots of City fans used to go watch Stockport.

There not proper fans then are they? You can't support two clubs not properly anyway. City have a large following from the Stockport area but that doesn't mean there's not a rivalry between the two clubs, Bury have a massive rivalry with Bolton but I don't know If that is reciprocated as much as their rivalry with Rochdale is

Edited by OAFCM35

My first pre season memories are game against Rochdale where the action on the pitch was matched with the action off it, it was in the 80's mind, didnt they play for the Rose Bowl or something like that ?

yes I remember that. Two successive outbreaks of aggro saw the end of the Rose Bowl

I lived in Norden which is 3/4 mile away from spotland til earlier this year and went to the school closest to the ground. So Ive known a lot of Dale fans.

I can honestly say they don't care about us, not much more than they do for Bradford or Preston anyway. Someone that if they beat, it is a bit sweeter due to to the amount they take and we do, but no real problem with us.

They took 2300 to Bury last year on a night game... They wont bring that to us. That says it all.

A sizable chunk of our fans have a different view. There is genuine level of dislike by some. Why?

My guess is it is because there is a generation of Latics fans who have never seen good times. They need a rivalry or something to keep passions going. Dale have had Bury. We have had nothing.

The fascination of "we will definitely sell out blah blah blah" is tedious. I couldnt give a :censored:. When I hear people mock our support I couldnt give two. Why mock Rochdales? Fair play to their fans, its easy to end up supporting the Red twats around here.

Lets go there and win. Not arsed about if they are rivals or not. For 90 mins they like everyone else - are.

I fall into the category of Oldham fan that loves to beat any local rival - be it Rochdale, Huddersfield or Man Utd. However when it comes to Rochdale, I like them to do well but not at our expense. Also, I have admiration for any true football fan, especially those who follow their local side when it would be easy to glory hunt as so many in Oldham do. I am not one for belittling any supporter of other teams but do reserve the right to enjoy the banter when we do put one over them.

And what is wrong in Looking forward to selling out an away end? Surely that is something to be proud of?

Finally - my brother lives in Rochdale and there are many of his neighbours and friends who do care about beating Oldham more than most other teams.

So yes, I do see them as rivals and it will be sweeter if we win.

It's a "meh" derby isn't it?

When you've watched us play the likes of North West sides such as Man Utd, Man City, Blackburn, Wigan, Bolton, Burnley; heck Liverpool and Everton too, all at a high level - it's a struggle to get enthused about playing Rochdale in League One.

Yes it's a local one, and yes, basically - that's a real draw for many (me included there) as its so easy to get to this away game.

But as for deep seated bitter rivals? Nah.

But that could change; all it needs is for 'Dale to stay in this League for a while; and unfortunately us too, and we'd then see this as a regular fixture.

A few nasty challenges or some bad blood on the touchline and who know's?

I'll still struggle to get excited about it mind, to the extent where i'm 'hating Rochdale'.

I still feel that a number of our supporters are kidding themselves,we are no longer a "big" club. 20+ years ago we had some justification in our superior attitude towards other local lower league teams,but results and our own league position over the last several years tell a different story at the moment.When was the last time we had an impressive result against the likes of Rochdale or Bury?