Attendances and promotional offers

What is currently being done by the club to increase attendances?

Currently we are on an 8 match unbeaten run, we have a nice new stand being constructed, the atmosphere has overall improved partly by the athletico’s clubbing together and the effort of the rest of the crowd, a feel good factor is returning. Surely now is the time to start trying to entice people down to Boundary park/Sports direct.com park whatever you want to call it.

Saturday sees a home fixture on an international weekend where many people don't get their football fix why haven't we tried to do anything about this? Why not knock it down to a fiver across the board and entice people in.

As a season ticket holder I would have no problem with this as one off.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To entice people back the first team have gone on an eight game unbeaten run. This in itself should get more bodies down because beyond this, it'd be interesting to know what's keeping the stay-aways where they are.

If the public need cheaper admission to turn up then tomorrow night should be a bumper crowd.

We are on an 8 match unbeaten run yes, this SHOULD bring a few more back. But still we sit 12th in the table...if we were on an 8 match unbeaten run and most of those results were wins (and we sat about 4th-2nd) more would come.

However long term I honestly think the club needs a promotion before people come back full time. I think if we got into the championship season ticket sales would probably double (maybe pushing it, but would increase dramatically). I think our average attendance would increase from about 4.5k to 8-9k due to more latics fans and increased away gates.

Edited by aaronoafc

on 12th feb 2000, 5144 saw gilligham beat latics 3-1 at bp, the next league home game was 26th feb 2000 against bristol rovers where we lost 4-1, the attendance that day was 5800. the average gate of that season was around 5500 and the league included pne, bury burnley and wigan. i chose those 2 games earlier to indicate that even with 2 clubs coming from over 150 miles away we still pulled over 5000 on the day. in the same season the lowest gate at home in the league was 4100 against chesterfield. it was an average season, compared to 2013/14 last years league home average was about 4400 a difference on average of roughly 1000 people

this year 3700 turned up against gillingham, there is no way in hell 5400 would turn up two weeks later so what's the difference? i think people have got bored with this league, and we'll never get them back whilst we're in it

Top 6 and scoring goals or a marquee signing are all that will bring people back in numbers.

When one of these things happens that is when the club need to capitalise by offering reduced admission THEN, not at a time when people can pay a fiver to remember why they stopped coming.

Yes, we're on an eight match unbeaten run and, relative to expectations (mine, at least) that's great. BUT, in terms of getting people back to BP, you might look at it this way: we've played eight games at home this season and won three of them (one of those in the LDV, which many, like me, couldn't give a :censored: about). Let's not kid ourselves it's like the 'pinch me' years under Joe Royle and that it's inexplicable that the stands aren't heaving.

I've been twice tihs season and that is a record for me lately. Was 100% at home for over 30 years. But the £20+ charge is too much. I'm retired but don't get a state pension for another 6 years. My income is low. I am in a cleft stick, pay for the full rate or wait till I'm 65!

If the club wants support to increase, they can do worse than follow the model employed by theatres where they have a raft of prices to cover a range of situations and at the end of the day... they give away seats for free to encourage full houses and tempt people to return. Season ticket holders just have to realise that the club is trying to increase income and bums on seats.

Playing football on a Saturday means I will miss the majority of games until xmas time when fixtured will get called off. When they do get called off & I do have a chance to go, I will still be toying with the idea of £22 to get in. As daft as it sounds that £2 extra on the gate makes a massive psychological difference to whether I turn up or not. Because our marketing team are clueless in encouraging more revenues & incomes the fans get hit with the cost on the gate. Give me £15 entry & I will have no problem paying ridiculous £3.50/pint for 1 or 2 pints, £2.50 for a pie or £1.50 for a bag of crisps. Charge me £22 & I will come less often & wont buy anything inside the ground because I will feel Ive already been hit in the pocket so wont pay the over inflated catering costs.

on 12th feb 2000, 5144 saw gilligham beat latics 3-1 at bp, the next league home game was 26th feb 2000 against bristol rovers where we lost 4-1, the attendance that day was 5800. the average gate of that season was around 5500 and the league included pne, bury burnley and wigan. i chose those 2 games earlier to indicate that even with 2 clubs coming from over 150 miles away we still pulled over 5000 on the day. in the same season the lowest gate at home in the league was 4100 against chesterfield. it was an average season, compared to 2013/14 last years league home average was about 4400 a difference on average of roughly 1000 people

this year 3700 turned up against gillingham, there is no way in hell 5400 would turn up two weeks later so what's the difference? i think people have got bored with this league, and we'll never get them back whilst we're in it

In February 2000 we had been in this division for 2 1/2 years. The glory days were still a fairly recent memory and despite 2 relegations in the last 6 years people still believed that the club could turn things round.

Now we have been in this division for over 17 years and that belief just isn't there any more for most people. Even if we go on a good run, the attitude from those who don't come regularly will be "they'll screw it up in the end". It's harsh but the experience of the last 20 years is exactly that. We've had some good seasons both in the league and the cup but ultimately they have all ended in disappointment.

The examples you use are good in that they do fairly show that we have lost well over 1,000 fans. At that rate we are probably losing the best part of 100 fans per year which sounds plauable to me. I just need to look at the lads who used to come with me every week. There are not many of us left.

Yes, we're on an eight match unbeaten run and, relative to expectations (mine, at least) that's great. BUT, in terms of getting people back to BP, you might look at it this way: we've played eight games at home this season and won three of them (one of those in the LDV, which many, like me, couldn't give a :censored: about). Let's not kid ourselves it's like the 'pinch me' years under Joe Royle and that it's inexplicable that the stands aren't heaving.

Who's saying it's like the pinch me years?

I'm saying it's relatively good at the moment compared to what has been witnessed in the last 20 years.

Some people who were regulars who have grown cynical of it all may not be tempted back, which is their choice they have their reasons.

What I'm thinking is that a game like this which might give a small boost to the crowd might tempt a group of a dozen young lads who have no preconceived ideas about Oldham Athletic who might want to go again.

Who's saying it's like the pinch me years?

I'm saying it's relatively good at the moment compared to what has been witnessed in the last 20 years.

Some people who were regulars who have grown cynical of it all may not be tempted back, which is their choice they have their reasons.

What I'm thinking is that a game like this which might give a small boost to the crowd might tempt a group of a dozen young lads who have no preconceived ideas about Oldham Athletic who might want to go again.

I agree with you. I'm saying the club needs to look at incentivising pay on the day admissions while things are going relatively well. Some people are suggesting the fact that we're on a small unbeaten run should be incentive enough. My point was that that in itself won't be enough to draw back the majority who've lapsed.

I liked the Cat games the other season what didn't help most the big games where at the start of that season.

Harry Bosh hit the nail on the head, however vouchers such as £5 off against some of the lower teams like Crawley next month it's International weekend also then. To try get a few more in.

Pay what you can afford day, also if you pay full price you can get a free drink or pie etc.

we wouldn't be the first to give it a go mansfield, albion rovers & dulwich hamlets have done it before now, i think FCUM have even had pay what you can afford season tickets, I am not suggesting that's the way forward for us by the way but i think a pay what you like day may help the cause alternatively i think we should bite the bullet one season and slash the season ticket and match admission prices, I honestly believe that £200 adult STs could double the amount of ST holders and £15 adult pay on the day admission and maybe £5 or £7.50 for under16s & OAPs would see a greater increase on the gates of course this is all speculation but Bradford City & Leyton Orient have a ran on £200 STs before now

Same boring league against generally the same boring teams.....we have made great strides this season but our scoring prowess especially at home is still piss poor.

Fans want to see goals and penalty area action....something we've lacked for as long as I can remember. I've lost count when I've taken holidays and given up overtime to watch a game and by half time wished that I hadn't bothered.

It will take a sustained spell of goal scoring and promotion contention to get the vast majority coming back......getting the right striker in to play in this team could make all the difference.

Same boring league against generally the same boring teams.....we have made great strides this season but our scoring prowess especially at home is still piss poor.

Fans want to see goals and penalty area action....something we've lacked for as long as I can remember. I've lost count when I've taken holidays and given up overtime to watch a game and by half time wished that I hadn't bothered.

It will take a sustained spell of goal scoring and promotion contention to get the vast majority coming back......getting the right striker in to play in this team could make all the difference.

The vast majority are never coming back, they all got old and found other stuff to do like marriage and kids.

the club can be very shortsighted at times , my two nephews came up from Nottingham the other weekend and because they were both 16 and over one had possession of a student card one didn't , i was informed they would have to pay adult price for the both of them ?

eventually they let us purchase 2 student tickets and one adult but were informed that if this was to happen again they would have to pay for ----

OAFC STUDENT MEMBERSHIP CARD - £15

how does that work , no wonder i cant persuade them to stop supporting notts county ,lol

I think the yeovil game before xmas would be a great marketing opportunity. Lad and dad day, buy on get one free or something similar.

With the media attention that game's gonna get, that's a good shout. I feel obliged to say it has to be non-gender-specific parent and child, though. Not quite as catchy a phrase, I know.