Latics 2 - 1 Walsall

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kept going after an early setback (when they'd offered nothing until that point). Everyone worked hard, bar Ibhere who looked lazy as anything. Good to see Wilkinson get a goal before he left.

Ibhere made every effort to get into the six yard box every time he had the opportunity to. Something we've not always got players doing.

I've been going to Latics for too long for these odd goal wins not to play havoc with my nerves. The defence was shaky today going backwards, Mills and Wilson were very good going forward and actually Mills did some good work clearing up in the CB areas. But we did look like there was a George shaped hole on the organisation and motivation front, Walsall's was a soft goal to give away and they should really have equalised at the end, that was a shocking chance to give away but thankfully he blasted that well high wide and not so handsome.

Jones was superb, great engine in him and MoM even without the goal, but what a goal!

Shows that we have a good squad in that we have coped when key players haven't played, we've struggled in the past with a couple of players out, full credit to LJ and Corney for backing him with the recruitment in the summer and the loans that have come in since. We dominated that game but the defence need to cut out the goals against, the midfield is working well and complimenting each other and the forward line is a work in progress.

Fun times being a Latic, not been that way for a while!

It's a strange feeling going a goal down and not being bothered because you expect the team to turn it round and win.

Duly delivered.

Not felt like that since Shez was in charge.

It is,,,, They scored and for 5 minutes were causing us problems then we got the ball back and they did't get out of their own half. We are starting to find goals now and even tho there were one or two weak moments at the back and a bit of over playing they didn't cause us that many problems.

ill enjoy the beer tonight - we looked a quality side

Great team spirit, how many times have we come back from a goal behind this season, in the past we would have just folded,only out of the play off's on goal difference unbelievable. :applause1:

We have been behind in four of the last five league games and not lost any of them. The team seem confident they will score and just roll their sleeves up and get on with it when we go behind.. We drew away at Peterborough and Swindon who scored 4 and 5 goals respectively in the game after they played us. We are playing good inventive and adventurous stuff and I am enjoying watching them. I am concerned we will miss wilkinson and hope we get him back sooner rather than later. He offers more than Ibhere who I hope is not fit, but then again Ibhere was in the box on 3 occasions and could possibly have scored all three with a bit of luck.

Someone mentioned the loan signings above and this is an area where I think LJ has learned from last year. Only 3 so far one of whom has made a good impact, one who has had only one chance and impressed and one who I think can do well for us in Ibhere.

Onwards on upwards, eighth in the league and out of the play offs on goal difference, get them in.

Going a goal down no longer means certain defeat.

That's not been the case for...well ages.

Completely agree. In fact it almost seems that we will win if we go a goal down.

Be great if we could get back to the clean sheets, but obviously I 'll take the wins!!!

Going a goal down no longer means certain defeat.

That's not been the case for...well ages.

It was the same last season, think we scored first in about 8 games. In addition, our record when scoring first has been relatively quite good under Johnson.

all I can say is.

for the first time in years the final result was just.

to many times i.e Gillingham have left BP with point/points which were undeserved

as said previously. even going a goal down you could sense we were getting a result today.

hats of to the team and management.

KTF

Some more decent stuff played again today.

We gifted them a goal - a poor one to ship too; Route One ball up field and it shouldnt really have been allowed, a big gap between J Wilson and Dieng. Whilst we doing Ok; we are missing Big George or Lockwood for their influence and organisation.

But, loads of positives:

Mills is now officially back (!) we've got the loan version back again instead of poor early season version.

B Wilson is Mr Consistency at RB and looks a cracking piece of transfer business.

Mike Jones and Liam Kelly have formed a really effective partnership; and when Jones went out wide, he looked equally good too. Winchester also played well, dovetailing between wide and central.

Danny Philliskirk is also back, similar to Mills, we're now seeing the first class version and not the out of sorts and low on confidence version. His link play, his pressing and his overall game we're spot on today, a close runner for my MOTM.

Pleased Connor Wilkinson signed off with a goal; he's got better and better as he's played, and i'd like us to explore the possibility of re-signing him again come January.

A good win, and the unbeaten run continues. The feel-good factor starting to really kick on, and the side looks a completely different proposition to the one that started the season. LJ, TW & their team do need a huge amount praise for turning it around, the tactics are really starting to reap rewards.

Long may it continue

Was sat right in front of Walsall radio commentators who were very impressed with the way we kept possession and moved it about

It seemed a really strong all round performance today and whilst there are always things to improve it was a thoroughly deserved victory

The journeys home are much more pleasurable at present :-)

Jones was Action Man , covered masses of the pitch, operated tight and left, great technique - and physical too. MOTM for me