Latics 2 - 1 Walsall

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty clear that Jabo's job will be to get in the box as quickly and often as possible, some may see this as 'lazy'.....I think it may be the missing Piece of the jigsaw

I wouldn't call him lazy, but I fear he may struggle within our very evident style of play. As said earlier by some in the thread, I fear we will really miss Wilkinson as he offers mobility as well as size and the ability to bring in the third man runners from midfield.

We became more direct as we tired, and lacked the fluidity of our earlier play and I felt he offered little at a key time in the game.

We are clearly moving in the right direction quickly however and are fast becoming a dark horse in the division. Saturday should be an absolute cracker!!!

Some more decent stuff played again today.

We gifted them a goal - a poor one to ship too; Route One ball up field and it shouldnt really have been allowed, a big gap between J Wilson and Dieng. Whilst we doing Ok; we are missing Big George or Lockwood for their influence and organisation.

But, loads of positives:

Mills is now officially back (!) we've got the loan version back again instead of poor early season version.

B Wilson is Mr Consistency at RB and looks a cracking piece of transfer business.

Mike Jones and Liam Kelly have formed a really effective partnership; and when Jones went out wide, he looked equally good too. Winchester also played well, dovetailing between wide and central.

Danny Philliskirk is also back, similar to Mills, we're now seeing the first class version and not the out of sorts and low on confidence version. His link play, his pressing and his overall game we're spot on today, a close runner for my MOTM.

Pleased Connor Wilkinson signed off with a goal; he's got better and better as he's played, and i'd like us to explore the possibility of re-signing him again come January.

A good win, and the unbeaten run continues. The feel-good factor starting to really kick on, and the side looks a completely different proposition to the one that started the season. LJ, TW & their team do need a huge amount praise for turning it around, the tactics are really starting to reap rewards.

Long may it continue

Found myself nodding in agreement with this :)

I wouldn't call him lazy, but I fear he may struggle within our very evident style of play. As said earlier by some in the thread, I fear we will really miss Wilkinson as he offers mobility as well as size and the ability to bring in the third man runners from midfield.

We became more direct as we tired, and lacked the fluidity of our earlier play and I felt he offered little at a key time in the game.

We are clearly moving in the right direction quickly however and are fast becoming a dark horse in the division. Saturday should be an absolute cracker!!!

He was on the pitch for 20 mins in his first game ...a little sharpish to evaluate I think

Wish everyone would stop being so happy clappy.

We lost to Middlesborough two months ago and if we can't compete with a team like that then we don't deserve to be in the Premiership. It's just not good enough. LJ out.

Only 6 points off the relegation zone - strewth this being miserable stance is hard to do when your smiling :)

Can I complain about the neck strain from having to look so far up the table ? :OASISscarf:

Edited by Stagger Lee

One thing has become evident to me this season, we are holding the ball for the most part. We have enjoyed a lot of posession - as much as 60% at times. The team is working hard when they don't have the ball to win it back. Some very good performances this past week, Tuesday and Saturday - Philliskirk, Jones, Dayton (Tuesday especially), The Wilsons (namesakes of mine, so I'm well chuffed).

Like how we are playing out from the back too - the keeper giving the ball to feet is refreshing.

Good to watch, and glad it's coming together. LJ has been trying to play football since his arrival, and we now seem to have a team that can. :-)

We have been in this league a long time. Fortunately, living over here I have endured the pain vicariously (Board posters, Gordon, Mike, Roy and my dad) yet it still hurts as the club is in my blood; but for the first time in a long time, I am actually wide awake at midnight and really looking forward to the game.

It appears that we now have a team who finally have faith in their own ability and have completely chucked the perennial attitude of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in the bin where it belongs.

We have a first eleven that is better than or at least as good as anything in this division and with the exception of the keeper, a second eleven that would find it difficult to lose against anything we have put out on any pitch over the last eighteen years.

Ten weeks ago, this whole squad was essentially brand new. For it to have taken a mere eight weeks to work as an effective unit is nothing short of amazing. It was couple of weeks ago when we really started looking like a unit full of belief. Then Elokobi got injured. We always knew that we were going to ship a couple as a result of the disruption; and we did, but we didn't lose. Belief. No sooner had Kasunga come in as big George's replacement, (mills was also missing), he was off again. More disruption, Dieng stepped in and as before, we shipped, but didn't lose.

I think the main difference between this squad and the undoubted talent that we have had over our time in this division is that each and everyone of this squad actually cares. The manager and the current coaching and backroom staff should be given huge kudos for instilling that belief and generating that care factor within the playing staff.

It has taken LJ and the coaching staff eight to ten weeks to get it right. Similarly but on a much larger scale, it has taken SC eight to ten years to get it right. I am so pleased that both are here.

We may well lose at Chesterfield, I don't think we will, but we may. I guarantee that this squad will genuinely hurt if we do.

However, Poleon's only contribution was a cowards tackle in the first half on their centre back...

He was lucky not to be sent off for raising his hands in the afters after the number 44 blocked him off.

He's talented. He needs to channel it better. He has a :censored: attitude when he doesn't get the ball.

Jones outstanding, probably technique wise the best we have seen for a long time.

He was fantastic yesterday. Even before his wonder goal he was having a positive impact on the game, his first touch was unbelievable and was a threat wherever he was in midfield, either on the wing or down the middle. In a fantastic team performance he still shone above the rest.

Some more decent stuff played again today.

We gifted them a goal - a poor one to ship too; Route One ball up field and it shouldnt really have been allowed, a big gap between J Wilson and Dieng. Whilst we doing Ok; we are missing Big George or Lockwood for their influence and organisation.

But, loads of positives:

Mills is now officially back (!) we've got the loan version back again instead of poor early season version.

B Wilson is Mr Consistency at RB and looks a cracking piece of transfer business.

Mike Jones and Liam Kelly have formed a really effective partnership; and when Jones went out wide, he looked equally good too. Winchester also played well, dovetailing between wide and central.

Danny Philliskirk is also back, similar to Mills, we're now seeing the first class version and not the out of sorts and low on confidence version. His link play, his pressing and his overall game we're spot on today, a close runner for my MOTM.

Pleased Connor Wilkinson signed off with a goal; he's got better and better as he's played, and i'd like us to explore the possibility of re-signing him again come January.

A good win, and the unbeaten run continues. The feel-good factor starting to really kick on, and the side looks a completely different proposition to the one that started the season. LJ, TW & their team do need a huge amount praise for turning it around, the tactics are really starting to reap rewards.

Long may it continue

So...the morning after and having read all of the posts in this thread, and while I agree that there are many positives to be drawn from yesterday, there are a couple of aspects of the game I saw differently:

While Mills is getting back to the loanee we saw last season, he still tends to overhit too many passes and underhit too many corners. In fact this applied to a lot of the balls we hit for Poleon to chase - he had an ineffective game and was rightly substituted by I am not sure we have worked out how to use him yet.

Also, we once again, dropped too deep for the last ten minutes allowing Walsall to push high up the pitch and we constantly gave the ball straight back to the opposition. Walsall should have equalised at the end.

I thought that Ibehre showed in his brief cameo what he is all about - holding the ball up and bringing others into the game, generally putting himself about and his positional sense in the box augurs well.

Definitely getting more difficult to beat and Jones and Philliskirk are the heartbeat of the team.

When we went one down, I knew we were going to win the game. I've not felt like that in years about a latics side.

Mike Jones is a class act but Kelly compliments him perfectly. I can't believe I was so quick to judge Kelly. They remind me of the Wellens + McDonald partnership.

I thought Ibehre looked a bit rusty but that's to be expected and he did show signs of the hold up play to take the pressure off the defence when it was needed and I think he'll be a decent signing for us.

My one slight gripe about yesterday was Dieng. He got caught under the ball for their goal and then it happened again about 15mins later, and how many times did he try hoof the ball up to Poleon (not his game) but over hit the ball and it went either straight to their keeper or out for a goal kick. He did pick up a bit in the 2nd half making a couple of interceptions and headers but he sold Kelly short twice too. For me he's back on the bench as soon as kasunga/Elekobi available.

I'm really enjoying games at BP again and LJ has added a great work ethic and both a physical and mental toughness.

(I'd still take 10th place now if offered though)

LJBWA

Oh and I'll add that whilst Tarky has gone on to bigger and better things and obviously improved since he left us but Wilson is better than the Tarky that left us.

Absolute quality that lad.

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

Oh and I'll add that whilst Tarky has gone on to bigger and better things and obviously improved since he left us but Wilson is better than the Tarky that left us.

Absolute quality that lad.

Totally agree with this! He has matured into a player I don't expect to see with us past next summer. I just hope we can make the jump with him!!

Interestingly I felt we actually missed Tidser's tempo in possession when comparing Saturdays to Tuesdays performances.

Its not that the midfield didn't play well yesterday (and Jones was exceptional!) but felt that we didn't quite move the ball as quickly which allowed them to keep their shape better.

To even have those options to tweak, on the back of good performances like Tuesday is a massive step forwards.