Quietly moving up the table

I was thinking the other night about how this team is becoming successful. This team doesn't quite have the physical intensity of Iain Dowies side and it doesn't have the flamboyance of john sheridans team of 06/07. We have a team that quietly gets about its work in an understated manner but does enough to get our noses ahead in games. I think we are going to see wins of 1-0s and 2-1s and plenty of draws. I don't think we are going to be grabbing any headlines we are an understated team the dark horse if you like.

Knowone is epitomising this more than our captain Liam Kelly who shielded the back 4 excellently and can start attacks from deep and most importantly keeps possession.

Our ability to keep possession is helping us massively towards the end of games. We are making teams chase us for the ball and as a result we are making them do the running so that we are physically stronger at the end of games. The last 3 games have seen us come from behind to gain results.

It's not spectacular we won't be grabbing too many headlines for incredible results their are no superstars. But it's working and the fact this has spread over essentially a period of 6 months going back towards the back end of last season suggests it might be down to abit more than good form or a honeymoon period like at the start of john sheridan and and Paul dickovs time.

Whisper it quietly their maybe something more substantial being built here.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Next 6 weeks or so will tell us more I think, some tough games to come, especially away from home.

I agree. But with the exception of Bristol City there's nobody above us that worries me and certainly nobody below us.

That doesn't mean I think we're going to get promoted. But I do think a full season of hope, optimism and not worrying about going down lies ahead.

Its a cliche; but next week is a good acid test.

Paul Cook has been given a decent budget and he's used it very well, and Chesterfield are a bery decent side.

Gain a positive result from next Saturday and we can tick off another test passed. It'll be a good gauge to where we are.

Positive signs, but a couple of real 'marker' games coming up will really see where we are...

Agree that Chesterfield is a good marker. They can obviously score goals and aren't intimidated by playing in big games - local derby v Sheffield Utd and at league leaders B City.

And....even if we don't get anything there I've got confidence in the squad we've got , their attitude and ability, to bounce right back in the match after that. There's a real desire to succeed feel about the place.

We've only lost 2 of the last 22 league games. That's almost half a season. Keep that up and we'll be right up there come the end of the season.

36 points from 22 league games dating back to Crewe away. Works out at 75 points in a 46 game season which would normally be top six.

16 points from the last 8 league games if I've done my sums right. That's 92 points a season. Shame about the first 4 games! Enough for promotion most seasons (but not last season).

Average 2 points a game from now to the end of the season and we'll end up on 86 points. A big ask. It would be nice if we could do it. That would have been joint third last season.

Edited by opinions4u

I agree. But with the exception of Bristol City there's nobody above us that worries me and certainly nobody below us.

That doesn't mean I think we're going to get promoted. But I do think a full season of hope, optimism and not worrying about going down lies ahead.

My expectations as a Latics fan are that we will lose the next 2, but be the first team to beat Bristol City.

Next 6 weeks or so will tell us more I think, some tough games to come, especially away from home.

It will tell us more but our last 4 aways of Donny, Notts C, Peterborough and Swindon is quite a tough run and to go unbeaten through them tells me we are making good progress, Id settle for 6 points out of our next 4 aways Chesterfield, Bristol, Sheff Utd and Rochdale.

You do what you like, I'm getting carried away

I'm with Harry on this one. All this nonsense on seeing where we are in 6 games or the end of December or the third week in March is joyless amateur punditry. What does any arbitrary date to assess matter? It's only the position at the end of the season that really does so if there's anything that can be enjoyed on the way ( such as unbeaten runs) , then surely every opportunity to get carried away should be taken. Level heads should be what the players need to maintain - we don't need to. Whilst we're swimming around the top 10, it's a promotion push and I'll be paying more attention to the results of rivals at the top of the table rather than those towards the bottom.

You do what you like, I'm getting carried away

Absolutely! We have no control over how our team performs, why not milk every ounce of pleasure when it comes along. Being carried away or keeping your feet on the ground won't make any difference to the result of the next game, or the next ten. And, an optimist will always suffer less disappointment in adversity.

We are consistently looking difficult to beat using an attacking format. I don't think anyone has dominated us, apart from Middleborough, maybe.

If we can hang onto being within 8 points of top six at the turn of the year we will be in line for some cracking (well supported) home games in the New Year.

For the time being I am getting pleasure out of looking at the League table.

To me its all about the end product. The final league position. A team doing well with a backbone of loanees (ala tranmere a couple of year ago) is not a team to get carried away over. Its built on sand and will eventually bite you in the arse. However we have a team currently built on very solid consistant foundations and there is every reason to get carried away

It baffles me this "let's not get carried away" attitude.

What do you actually want/get out of going to football matches?

Don't want to sound like I'm having a pop but can't find a better way to word the question. I'm genuinely interested in the answers....

I'm just not putting all my eggs in one basket yet, I want to believe we can do it, there's certainly a lot suggesting we can do it but the realist in me remembers that there's a long way to go yet we've got a few tough games to get through before December and then we have to get through the January transfer window without losing too many of our key players, I hope we can do I really do but I wont be saying the P word until weve come over those two massive hurdles

It baffles me this "let's not get carried away" attitude.

What do you actually want/get out of going to football matches?

It's like winning the lottery and saying I don't want it to change my life ........ so why the heck did you buy a ticket?????

Edited by Stagger Lee