Carl Winchester

Not ready for the champ yet. Needs a full consistent year at this level first.

1st half yesterday he was excellent, 2nd he was a little anonymous for most of it.

One of our best players this year but has to make huge strides to be playing Championship football in February.

1st half yesterday he was excellent, 2nd he was a little anonymous for most of it.

One of our best players this year but has to make huge strides to be playing Championship football in February.

Agree. He's adapted to be a L1 CM/RM, but he'd have to adapt again to be good in that position in the Championship.

If he carries on the way he's going though, he should definitely get there.

I agree; the jump to Championship regular might be too much to bridge at the moment.....but Championship clubs might well view him as a work in progress signing and risk worth taking?

Ability wise; there's no question he has the talent.

What i would say though, is he needs to have an effect on games more frequently. I mean, he looks so classy in possesion; and some of his turns and little touches are lovely. But - and here's the crucial thing for him (& us) - how many goals and how many assists has he got so far; to go with the nice but non-benefical little touches?

He set up the winner in the JPT vs Bradford for Bove right? Other than that, has he directly assisted another goal? He certainly hasnt scored since pre-season?

For me; Dele Ali at MK Dons is showing the way a young midfield player draws attention and earns a move from League One. Goals, assists & real; tangible effects on games.

Carl has a little bit more to do in that regard for me.

Not a pop at him this post, far from it. He can clearly do it, there's a real player in there.

Edited by slystallone

I think it's a question of his stamina, he runs out of steam after 60 minutes.

Class act though with bags of potential.

I agree; the jump to Championship regular might be too much to bridge at the moment.....but Championship clubs might well view him as a work in progress signing and risk worth taking?

Ability wise; there's no question he has the talent.

What i would say though, is he needs to have an effect on games more frequently. I mean, he looks so classy in possesion; and some of his turns and little touches are lovely. But - and here's the crucial thing for him (& us) - how many goals and how many assists has he got so far; to go with the nice but non-benefical little touches?

He set up the winner in the JPT vs Bradford for Bove right? Other than that, has he directly assisted another goal? He certainly hasnt scored since pre-season?

For me; Dele Ali at MK Dons is showing the way a young midfield player draws attention and earns a move from League One. Goals, assists & real; tangible effects on games.

Carl has a little bit more to do in that regard for me.

Not a pop at him this post, far from it. He can clearly do it, there's a real player in there.

Set up Forte at home to orient.

His run from the halfway line to the edge of their box assisted jones who's shot was collected by wilkinson on Sat.

He played a defence slicing ball to DP for Forte's opener at Posh.

He needs to develop further and believe in himself a lot more. But plenty of influence so far.

Where have the smoking rumours come from ? Not the first time someone has commented on it .

Our own eyes, I've seen him with a tab and I wasn't the first- think Lee Sinnott was the first to comment on it.

Personally I think his stamina is much improved since last season.

Agreed he does some good things but he is in a good team with a very good manager. He also does some bad things in that many of his runs go nowhere and pull the team out of shape. If someone wants to pay good money for him they are welcome and he and we should snatch their arm off.

• 3 months later...

We must be speaking to him about a contract extension now surely....providing he doesn't go before end of the month

Not sure what his contract situation is, but I agree we should tie him down to a 3 year deak. LJ mentioned in the LP interview this week that most of our sellable assets are on 3 year deals and that it would take £5m+ to get Kelly away from BP ;-)