Anyone else see any similarities between Joe Royle and Lee Johnson, both were unknown quantaties coming into their 1st jobs in football management i believe Joe was 33 when he took over us in 1982, Joe spent the majority of his early years keeping us up on a shoestring budget and flirting with the playoffs within 6 years then who can forget the cup runs before ultimately getting us up in 1991.

For me the similarities seem to be that they are able to pluck players from other clubs deemed not good enough and then improve them by giving them a chance, as well as giving players brought through the clubs youth system given a chance, i really do believe we are on the verge of something special whether its this season remains to be seen but the omens are looking good.

Edited by Postman Matt

Anyone else see any similarities between Joy Royle and Lee Johnson, both were unknown quantaties coming into their 1st jobs in football management i believe Joe was 33 when he took over us in 1982, Joe spent the majority of his early years keeping us up on a shoestring budget and flirting with the playoffs within 6 years then who can forget the cup runs before ultimately getting us up in 1991.

For me the similarities seem to be that they are able to pluck players from other clubs deemed not good enough and then improve them by giving them a chance, as well as giving players brought through the clubs youth system given a chance, i really do believe we are on the verge of something special whether its this season remains to be seen but the omens are looking good.

Didn't you want Johnson sacked not so long ago?

Anyone else see any similarities between Joy Royle and Lee Johnson, both were unknown quantaties coming into their 1st jobs in football management i believe Joe was 33 when he took over us in 1982, Joe spent the majority of his early years keeping us up on a shoestring budget and flirting with the playoffs within 6 years then who can forget the cup runs before ultimately getting us up in 1991.

Nice to see you posting something positive for a change although i do see simliarities myself.

Was it about Christmas 1985 that Joe Royles team was in promotion place in div 2 and both Man utd and Man city were in the relegation zone div1 - there was some giddy talk about Oldham soon to become Greater Manchester's number 1 team.

Can't see that happening just yet :smoking:

Whether the OP is tongue in cheek or not, it's a bit previous comparing LJ with a manager who was here for 13 years. That's not to say LJ isn't doing a very good job. He's learning all the time, he's building a very good team and I have every faith in him and the team progressing even further, but I'm not making any comparisons yet.