Price of Football

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really care about any other teams. I have said for ages we are too expensive and it would appear that this survey backs my claim. I have always believed that if I am going to watch a division three Football match then I should get some change out of a twenty, it used to irk me that I didn't. Now I cant even get in with a twenty (unless I want to sit on my own) I just can not justify it to myself. The £600 or so I used to spend on home games per season is now mostly going on away games. :surrender:

Don't really care about any other teams. I have said for ages we are too expensive and it would appear that this survey backs my claim. I have always believed that if I am going to watch a division three Football match then I should get some change out of a twenty, it used to irk me that I didn't. Now I cant even get in with a twenty (unless I want to sit on my own) I just can not justify it to myself. The £600 or so I used to spend on home games per season is now mostly going on away games. :surrender:

How much was it when we were getting 6000 under Ronnie Moore? Does anybody remember?

Yeah, wasn't claiming it to be, we seem to have given up the ghost in terms of attracting floating/new support and are looking to rinse the ones who do still bother turning up.

But what to do? We all agree a winning team is the main thing to get people in and good players cost money. It's :censored:ty for people who can't afford it or justify the cost but they might not fancy paying £14 to see us where Tranmere are now either

Yeah, wasn't claiming it to be, we seem to have given up the ghost in terms of attracting floating/new support and are looking to rinse the ones who do still bother turning up.

This is how I see it and one by one they are dropping away, at some stage the cycle has to be broken and a real incentive made to get those fans back, dont know what the break even figure is but surely a season of £230 for adults and £23 for kids season tickets in one of the stands would be worth a try ? Obviously the new stand tickets will be sold at a premium probably around £400 but surely it leaves some room for a one off offer.

But what to do? We all agree a winning team is the main thing to get people in and good players cost money. It's :censored:ty for people who can't afford it or justify the cost but they might not fancy paying £14 to see us where Tranmere are now either

Very true, don't know the answer, but come winter when it's pissing down sideways that £22 entry cost is not going to look attractive.

I'm pretty sure the City season ticket prices are misleading. Mate at work is a City ST holder and says there are very, very few of them and are essentially singles as you can't guarantee sitting with son, dad, brother, mate if you both get one - they just keep some back as singles that are left in the gaps. So if you don't want or can't get one of the very few of them then the jump to the next price bracket is high.

Indeed, my Dad's a city fan and the majority of season tickets are priced as you would expect them. Though with the new stand they will be increasing the amount of cheap tickets.

It is, but they sell out every week.

Why would they not take that money from 40,000+ supporters who'll pay it?

It's not fair on the thousands who would love to go but can't afford to but they wouldn't all get in anyway if they dropped the prices.

It's wrong but I don't see what can be done about it as long as people are willing & able to pay.

Not too mention that there are a lot of People who can afford it.

Work it out per game. We get 23 games for our £325 _ £14.13/game, they get 19 games for £299_ £15.74/game, making them £1.50 per game dearer.

An awful report. To compare Prem prices for entry/food etc with lower divisions is only useful to show that the Premier League is vastly overpriced. Prem dont need to charge extortionate, especially those in Europe, look at madrid/barca prices, they make money in media/sponsorship/player memorabilia. That Chelsea charge a minimum of £50/game is disgusting considering the money they have.

Lower divisions (certainly league 1 & below) main source of income for a years budget is the ST sales & subsequent weekly ticket income, so to compete need to charge similar levels of entry to Prem teams, in the hope that the fans dont get blinded by such stupid reports as this one, which doesnt highlight the fact that matchday income isnt all that important to the big teams.

As long as people are willing to pay £50+ they can get away with it.

It would be a big risk to reduce our prices. If we drop them and extra people don't come then we will breach the fair play rules and have to reduce the playing budget by losing players.

True but being more expensive than City runs the risk of someone choosing to support City now as opposed to us because it is cheaper.

This is why I applaud us extending the 'Intermediate' ST to include u-21s, as oppose to u-19s and the cheap STs for kids, neither of which seem to feature much in the survey. Now if only they stopped messing the students about.

***CRAP ANALOGY KLAXON***

The corner shop over the road runs the risk of people buying their milk from asda instead of him by charging £1.65 for a 4 pint bottle instead of £1. Probably not a lot he can do about it when he doesn't have the profit margin to sell key goods at a loss.