Price of Football

***CRAP ANALOGY KLAXON***

The corner shop over the road runs the risk of people buying their milk from asda instead of him by charging £1.65 for a 4 pint bottle instead of £1. Probably not a lot he can do about it when he doesn't have the profit margin to sell key goods at a loss.

I could activate my *** Lack of Sense of Humour online KLAXON *** here and correct this but I won't.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True but being more expensive than City runs the risk of someone choosing to support City now as opposed to us because it is cheaper.

Ok fair point, but why don't you go and support City then? I would guess your answer would be the same as mine. I'm a latics fan.

In my teens I went to watch city and United with mates but I was still a latics fan.

The problem now is that most kids go and watch different teams each week but only by switching TV channels or being taken down the pub by their dad/mum. If they are interested in footy they choose their team like I did, watching a team that is accessible and becomes your team. if you only see one team like I did then they become your team. Kids from Oldham now only see latics if they have got dads like me who are already latics fans and drag their poor progeny along until they succumb or are old enough to get a boyfriend who knows better. The rest watch the tv and take their pick.

On a Sunday afternoon many years ago when itv televised spurs v notts forest I never dreamt that the rich would get much richer and the poor would be slumming it. Erick the Viking had a good game though.

Been done to death this subject, yawnsome now, as with most things in life the power lies with the people, stop paying the prices and things will quickly change.

The top Premiership clubs know that if the loyal fan who has been going for 40 years and lives locally wont pay the prices then some daytripper will. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to the rest of the Football pyramid who have to play catch up. If most of us refuse to pay the prices at Latics either the club cuts the cloth and does a Stockport or we go to the wall. Sadly it's another example of how the big clubs run the game.

Edited by Tommy_Fent

The top Premiership clubs know that if the loyal fan who has been going for 40 years and lives locally wont pay the prices then some daytripper will. Unfortunately the same doesn't apply to the rest of the Football pyramid who have to play catch up. If most of us refuse to pay the prices at Latics either the club cuts the cloth and does a Stockport or we go to the wall. Sadly it's another example of how the big clubs run the game.

Pedant police alert

It's cut the coat not the cloth but apart from that you're bang on. Big clubs are funded by sky and fans income is almost irrelevant

It started a long time ago with the home side keeping the gate receipts and after that it's all be down hill

True but being more expensive than City runs the risk of someone choosing to support City now as opposed to us because it is cheaper.

This is why I applaud us extending the 'Intermediate' ST to include u-21s, as oppose to u-19s and the cheap STs for kids, neither of which seem to feature much in the survey. Now if only they stopped messing the students about.

In reality though, City do charge the majority of their fans quite a bit of money to watch them. The average price will be much higher than Latics and they charge fans who go to watch one match a premium because of FFP. Hence why they struggle to sell tickets for the Champions League,

Looking at the cheapest ticket maybe interesting , but I think it's flawed as I see it in the same way as the 'from' prices that you often get with holidays.

From the City forum:

The key statistic about both season tickets and matchday tickets is surely the average cost rather than who has the cheapest or most expensive.
The low cost £ 299 for City is good but how many, what % of the total no. of season tickets cost £ 299
Similarly with matchday tickets.

Some great "headlines" out of this for City, but the reality of our prices is a long way from these headlines sadly.

That we have a few season tickets cheaper than Halifax, Cheltenham, and Southend United is quite clever, but its a minuscule number of tickets, and if you want to watch us on a more casual basis, we are as expensive as any team in the PL.

No doubt these soundbites will get shoved down our throats next season when even more people are priced out by real tickets

not quite the true picture because we all know that city only have a limited number of season tickets at £299, also people think we should lower the prices because of tv money etc. well maybe, if this stupid FFP rubbish had not come in city may well have done that, but sadly we need to balance the books and city will not go it alone whilst other clubs continue to squeeze fans for everything they can, it would be suicide

Typical media soundbite nonsense yet again. If it was a truly scientific study they'd look at things like the average price per season ticket holder (excluding hospitality) for each club, the average increase each club's fans faced & the average price of away tickets for each club's fans at the home club, compared to the average price for away fans at that club. These are the figures that really mean something to us match-going fans.

They have at least recognised that our match-day tickets are the second most expensive, which is utterly shameful.

Wow the media seem to be fooled into thinking our £299 ticket are readily available, what a load of :censored:, we are as bad as most clubs in this country.

Pedant police alert

It's cut the coat not the cloth

no idea what a double pedant is called (Dave_Og possibly) but it is very definitely cloth rather than coat.

Anyway, it's all very well feeling ripped off when attedinng a game but 2 months ago I bought tickets fro me and my son for a game at Barcelona this Sunday. I've just found out it has been switched to the Saturday and I rather suspect the chances of a refund to be slim.

Now that really is being ripped off.

no idea what a double pedant is called (Dave_Og possibly) but it is very definitely cloth rather than coat.

Anyway, it's all very well feeling ripped off when attedinng a game but 2 months ago I bought tickets fro me and my son for a game at Barcelona this Sunday. I've just found out it has been switched to the Saturday and I rather suspect the chances of a refund to be slim.

Now that really is being ripped off.

The previous Chaddy the Owl had a similar issue last month with Barcelona. It was changed to the Friday. They found out the Friday night (after the game), when telling a barman how much they were looking forward to the game the next day.

It's shocking they can do that at short notice, and without the offer of refunds. But seems a regular thing.

The previous Chaddy the Owl had a similar issue last month with Barcelona. It was changed to the Friday. They found out the Friday night (after the game), when telling a barman how much they were looking forward to the game the next day.

It's shocking they can do that at short notice, and without the offer of refunds. But seems a regular thing.

Ho hum. Luckily I didn't go for the expensive tickets so I'm only €200 down... I think I have just switched my Iberian sympathies to Madrid!

It's both. The idiom is cut your coat according to your cloth it has been shortened or changed to simply cut your cloth accordingly - it can be either. The previous poster was correct, although maybe a little too pedantic.

I think in Spain they often don't actually announce kick off times/days until 10 - 14 days before the weekend the game is due to be played.

We're doing the stadium tour this morning, I'll have a beer and Sandwich in it for you if you like!

Nothing personal and it probably won't happen but I really hope that this is the most tedious 0-0 in the history of tedious 0-0s

Edited by Dave_Og

I think comparisons with PL sides are almost totally pointless as previously discussed (TV and sponsorship transform the business model).

What is perhaps of interest is looking at the data in our division, and in particular in conjunction with average attendances and try to do a comparison of the budgets on offer (of course this is very rough data - no additional income; taken the lowest ST cost value (some will be more, pay on the day will be more etc etc). The estimated budgets range massively - Sheffield Utd with over £5m, and the top 10 clubs with around £2m or more.

We have around £1.4m. The poorest clubs (Scunthorpe and Fleetwood) have less than £1m.

Latics sit in a mid-table position, and arguably we have probably performed at the level that we are funded to do so for the most part. If we could make a punt for the Play-Offs then we'd be doing well.

Dropping ST prices (and the same sort of impact on pay at the gate) to £250 would need at least 6,000 to make it even marginally better than our current budget. There is a big risk in dropping prices that we end up in a far worse position in the budget stakes.

Edited by Scapegoat

I think comparisons with PL sides are almost totally pointless as previously discussed (TV and sponsorship transform the business model).

What is perhaps of interest is looking at the data in our division, and in particular in conjunction with average attendances and try to do a comparison of the budgets on offer (of course this is very rough data - no additional income; taken the lowest ST cost value (some will be more, pay on the day will be more etc etc). The estimated budgets range massively - Sheffield Utd with over £5m, and the top 10 clubs with around £2m or more.

We have around £1.4m. The poorest clubs (Scunthorpe and Fleetwood) have less than £1m.

Latics sit in a mid-table position, and arguably we have probably performed at the level that we are funded to do so for the most part. If we could make a punt for the Play-Offs then we'd be doing well.

Dropping ST prices (and the same sort of impact on pay at the gate) to £250 would need at least 6,000 to make it even marginally better than our current budget. There is a big risk in dropping prices that we end up in a far worse position in the budget stakes.

Like what appears to have happened at Hartlepool