LJ trying to galvanise Oldham through football

There's lots of talk on here about how many people are going to away games, but not much being said about the need to entice the missing fans to home games.

As part of his preview of the Chesterfield game, LJ says:

"We are on a nice path at the moment which is good but we have a few tough games coming up. We will just continue on our pursuit of excellence and help galvanise the town through football. If people are enjoying themselves then that is what we want. If that is the case, tell a friend and bring them down".

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/article/20141016-gaffer-previews-chesterfield-2019275.aspx

Amongst us who already shell out their hard earned on Latics, there is a feeling of something happening. Of course I tell people who I know used to go to the games that they should make an effort to come along. Most just shrug their shoulders and say they might. I believe we are going to have to be in the top 3 or 4 in the new year before people start making the effort.

Saturday should be a good test for us and if we lose I can see this team trying their hardest to get an unbeaten run going again, looking forward to Saturday and Tuesday, it has been a while feeling this enthusiastic about upcoming games.

Like the idea of bring a friend for a tenner. Perhaps season ticket holders could have vouchers in their books which can be redeamed at certain games when the opposition has a small away following. The friend may enjoy it and come back. Even better if they bring a friend of their own, buy a programme and sample a pie at half time!

I brought my United supporting mates to the Barnsley game last week... They were laughing and joking about why they were going to see a ":censored: team" in the car up to the game. Once in the ground, the lack of scoreboard was bemusing to them.

However, their verdict from what they saw on the pitch was that we were a very good and exciting team. They want to come back again and fully intend on coming to more games as a result of watching us play in that game.

Now, that's three Man United fans. Trying to bring back some lapsed Oldham fans might not be that hard, if they actually sat and watched 90 minutes of how we're playing at the moment. As someone has said, a "Bring a friend for a fiver/tenner" promotion could be good if it's timed well and soon.

I for one am very exciting with Latics at the moment. Very glad I got a season ticket.

A flamboyant 4-0 or 5-0 victory will really catch a lot of stayaways eye, as will word of mouth as most of those stayaway fans will have mates that are still going or will start to go. It's that which will get bums on seats more than anything.

Without wanting to get carried away, we're not far off producing that sort of performance. A bit of ruthlessness and cutting edge in the penalty area would see this sort of win. We're certainly creating p0lenty of chances and have begun to gel very nicely.

We haven't really had an attractive home game to tempt a decent number of resting fans back. Bradford City maybe the one, especially if we put in a decent result/performance at Chesterfield. I would like to think 4,500/5,000 home fans for that game, together with 2,500/3,000 from Bradford would be very positive.

They wouldn't be disappointed by the atmosphere and there would be less chance of being let down by our performance than there has been for a few years.

Edited by mikeroyboy

A flamboyant 4-0 or 5-0 victory will really catch a lot of stayaways eye, as will word of mouth as most of those stayaway fans will have mates that are still going or will start to go. It's that which will get bums on seats more than anything.

Without wanting to get carried away, we're not far off producing that sort of performance. A bit of ruthlessness and cutting edge in the penalty area would see this sort of win. We're certainly creating p0lenty of chances and have begun to gel very nicely.

It should have been last week. We were 7281948199252 times better than Walsall, yet still ended up hanging on a bit at the end...

Just when we thought all was going well it looks like a couple of the best players could be off in January,its this perpetual merry go round which doesn't instill much confidence for the future. You can only go to the well so many times before it runs dry.

Just when we thought all was going well it looks like a couple of the best players could be off in January,its this perpetual merry go round which doesn't instill much confidence for the future. You can only go to the well so many times before it runs dry.

Who BP? If we lose 2 players for decent money that is the price we pay for being moderately successful. I would like to think that we still retain a decent nucleus of players to carry on without too much disruption.

Hardly irreplaceable are they?

And the club scratches its head when the gates continue to fall, if they are trying to encourage fans back give them something to get attathed to, the constant chop change is good for nobody replacements may well be lined up but whose to say they will work ? One thing I cant understand is why isnt our most saleable asset tied into a contract past next June ? In James Wilson we have one of if not the best centrehalf in the league it baffles me he will be allowed to leave for free in 7 months time.

We have always been a selling club, and always will.

Even in Joe's day. I know, I mentioned him. Sorry. am not comparing though.

for the first time in a long time, I feel we have a manager who will get more right than he gets wrong.

And when he says he has players who will improve lined up, he possibly has!

Which 2 players are being sold * then in the Jan transfer window?

* alledgedly sold i should pressume

It was in the Chron tonight clubs sniffing around our players but dont worry he has better replacements lined up - you couldnt make it up, we build up momentum then start the merry go round up again.