Geography Lesson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguably more than any other counties in England, Yorkshire and Lancashire have histrocially had a strong sense of identity and rivalry - far more than any other regional boundary I am aware of (can't recall Swindon fans singing songs about Wiltshire).

Therefore a relatively recent change in that boundary for seemingly nothing more than adminsitrative purposes is unlikely to be accepted easily. I, like most people I know from Oldham, class myself as from Lancashire, not Greater Manchester. Not sure why I suppose, but it seems to have a sense of history and provides a 'clan' to be part of. It is no different for people from Saddleworth wanting to still claim / feel part of Yorskhire.

Having lived over the hills for over 20 years now - I do, in equal measure, admire and envy the strong sense of Yorkshireness that is present. Lancashire has not managed to captivate the interest and passion in the same way and that makes me a little sad.

The Welcome to Yorkshire organisation (aka the tourism board) have to be admired for the way that have captured and promoted this, culmulating in the TdF this year, and arguably Yorkshire has a greater sense of identity now than it has had for decades.

As a Lancastrian over the border, I have a lot of good natured banter with friends and colleagues about the rivalry. The fact that Yorkshire for the most part has a large number of average football sides, and no significant PL teams to glory hunt, has made being a Latics fan in these parts good fun. People at work talk about Football League football regularly, over in Oldham those workplace converstations tend to be dominated by PL teams.

Embrace and enjoy the rivalry (I know that the "I'm a b*****d" song irks them, but also makes them smile), keep it good natured, and as the OP stated...direct it at those it should be :-)

Edited by Scapegoat

Saddleworth used to be Yorkshire and Oldham used to be Lancashire there's a stone up my way that shows the old divide, we are both now in Greater Manchester but the majority of Saddleworthians still consider themselves to be Yorkshire folk and they would love nothing more to rejoin Yorkshire because there house prices would increase and there car insurance would decrease.

In the modern local government areas deemed “to be known as counties” by the Local Government Act 1972 (LGA 1972), the word “county” is nothing more than a label for the administrative areas so defined by the Act. These “counties” have no existence beyond the narrow confines of the Acts.

The Government has consistently made this clear, e.g. on 1st April 1974, upon implementation of the LGA 1972, a Government statement said:
“The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of … local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change.”

http://county-wise.org.uk/counties/county-confusion/

In the modern local government areas deemed “to be known as counties” by the Local Government Act 1972 (LGA 1972), the word “county” is nothing more than a label for the administrative areas so defined by the Act. These “counties” have no existence beyond the narrow confines of the Acts.

The Government has consistently made this clear, e.g. on 1st April 1974, upon implementation of the LGA 1972, a Government statement said:

“The new county boundaries are solely for the purpose of defining areas of … local government. They are administrative areas, and will not alter the traditional boundaries of Counties, nor is it intended that the loyalties of people living in them will change.”

http://county-wise.org.uk/counties/county-confusion/

Ahhhhh Government statements - not law, not anything but hot air and empty promises.

Salve to sooth the ruffled feathers of the proletariat. It meant jack then and means even less now unfortunately.