great result

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think Kelly was outstanding today? Getting better and better, i was probably one of the first to make my mind up that he was :censored: after 2-3 games, delighted to be wrong!

As excellent as he was on Saturday. The way the team is set up requires him to drop very deep often splitting the centre halves which he does superbly and comfortably.

Can only see him getting better with games and he is crucial to our chances against the better sides in the division!!

Edited by whitey1980

Class again from Dayton and Philiskirk, those two just have that bit more intelligence and quality than most and I think it really shows when they play together. They're so mobile in swopping around the positions in the midfield.

But that said the midfield were superb today, which bodes well because from my limited viewings so far this year I like the look of Tidser and Winchester who didn't even start. Good strength and depth.

Having seen Colchester, Orient, Barnsley and now Coventry I can only state that we are looking better all the time. When's the next Tuesday game?

Edited by De_La_Vega

Isn't it the traditional "pay day" on Friday too? Plus when's half-term for Oldham, is it this week or next?

It was cold out and the weather at about 6pm was dreadful. Factor in Champs League on telly, especially City's early kick-off and I was never expecting much.

Saturday could be a different story...

This was the best league performance I have seen in ten years and I have seen them all at home and some away. Winchester does have something but the key here was quick passing and not the cross field runs he makes. Forte 1 on 1 is just going to score - could get 30 this season. Jabo looks the forward we have needed for some time. The crowd was good for a Tuesday. It takes longer to get people back and the underlying problem is 10 years of falling living standards due to the :censored: bankers and our open door immigration policy.

First season in 10 years without a season ticket for me - I pick and choose my games, I went tonight as I am most likely working on Saturday. Great game, another solid performance.

I like what we are doing when we don't have the ball as much as what we are doing when we do. Pressing, chasing, positional. I think LJ has been trying to play this way since he came, and after a tough first full season, he's learned his lessons, and he's signed the players to fit in with his philosophy.

For the first time in a long while, I am excited, and hungry for the next game.

Yep but I also thought their no 16 was a class player-the other 10 (for Coventry) were crap though, perhaps only because we made them look so!

Maybe the cold had got to me but that lad reminded me of Ricky Villa, as for Kelly, played an absolute blinder tonight !

On that kind of showing i can see why he was made captain, not as dynamic a midfielder as Mike Jones but he reads the game so well, every move starts from him and he is cute when looking like being beaten, always manages to get a little niggle in to break up the chance of an oppo attack.

Cracking performance that. Exactly the type of performance we haven't been able to play out for a number of years. A cold, wet & blustery Tuesday night game; against a side on a poor run. It would have been a nailed on 0-1 loss not too long ago.

It's great credit to LJ and his team, and to this bunch of players that, it never really looked in doubt right from kick-off. We were better than them in all areas. Their goal was a fluke; wicked deflection. Chubbs wasn't troubled all night, and bar a punch to clear a cross; he had nothing to do at all.

So much to take from the game, great performances all across the side, but - for me, the stand out of the match was our pressing, our hassling and our work-rate - especially from the front lads. Forte, Jabo and Philly all put one heck of a shift in tonight, and really led from the front. Forte's 1st goal was a real reflection of the pressing those 3 did to Coventrys backline.

Backed up by the midfield lads, Kelly in particular, and a very solid and impressive back 4.

Great win that, and roll on Saturday.

For me, man of the match was a real close run thing; with many options for it, but it came down to either Dieng or Philliskirk for me; and i've plumped for Philliskirk.

Maybe the cold had got to me but that lad reminded me of Ricky Villa, as for Kelly, played an absolute blinder tonight !

On that kind of showing i can see why he was made captain, not as dynamic a midfielder as Mike Jones but he reads the game so well, every move starts from him and he is cute when looking like being beaten, always manages to get a little niggle in to break up the chance of an oppo attack.

Ricky Villa yes I take your point, quite similar with that upright stance!

But Kelly and Jones will do for me but why does Jones now get stuck out wide right?

Edited by ChaddySmoker

For those who were at the game and those that just want to listen again to Mike and Roy's Latics Player commentary and thoughts, I've put together a 3 min mp3, 2.3Mb, of our 4 goals. If you would like a copy PM me.

I'll be sending out the emails from late Wed afternoon.

Edited by laticsrblue

Wow.

I heard we were 3-1 up at HT and said to my lad that restricting them to that 1 was the priority. So many times we've wobbled and failed to restrict the opposition.

I know we are only eighth. I know other teams have games in hand. But we are difficult to beat. Resilient when under the cosh and now we have started scoring freely.

So much feels right.

I think we were all a bit quick to slag kelly... we were all just as quick to hold our hands up and comment on how he was improving week on week! tonight he was brilliant, broke down every single one of their attacks and started ours

Speak for yourself! I said he is a good player who just needed time. Then again I don't judge players from comments on other message boards and just 2 friendlies like most of this board did

Edited by palmer1